Sign in to follow this  
e00c

How fast does night change?

I've literally just launched Dayz now for the first time. Monitor 1 = the game. Monitor 2 = the handy map. Job done!

It spawned me at night time! Activated the torch, luckily spawned next to a small town were I looted a shovel (oh joy!)

Searching for some water (repeated message), I encountered a zombie! Switching to my shovel meant I couldn't see where I was hitting, resulting in death! Thus, losing my shovel and torch.

Running was out of the question: 1) At this point, I didn't know how to. 2) I was locked in a fenced garden, not knowing how to jump yet!

How quick does night time change back to the day. As I pretty much can't do anything whilst it's black. 

Edited by jumling

Time is 1:1 real time. So...it could be hours, depending on the server you're on. Rather depending on the time it is in the server.

To run by default is pressing W x2. You can vault by pressing V. If you're running it lets you leap, but if standing it will be more of a...well it's slower.

It sounds like to me that you need to find a server that is set to always daytime - at least until you get everything figured out like the controls, where the water pumps are located in spawn areas (so you can find them even at night) and where the basic items you need can be found. Once you have some knowledge of that, switch back to servers with day/night cycles.

As for the day/night cycle itself - I believe it goes as quickly as real time. So that means if you play at night on a local server, it will always be night for you. If you played until morning on a local server, you would see it become day as it becomes day for you in real life. So if you do only play during the evening/night - I suggest occasionally logging in to a server located in a different country to you, to get some of that sunshine goodness :D

Cheers chaps! I re-spawned next to the sea somewhere. I figured run out (Y), Thanks again.

I'll search the server list for day time ones!

The night time 1:1 is a great idea though!

Who said all dayz players were hostile ;) aha 

Not all the servers with day-only settings say so in their title. The best way to tell is to just log in to a server (I tend to try out the ones with the least amount of people in first) - at the bottom left of your screen where it tells you that you need to find water to drink there will be a couple of server announcements - one being "This server is always day time" if it is set to always be day. If it doesn't say that, log back out again and try another one until you find one :) Good luck! :D

:) Good luck! :D

Good Luck?! I just fell off a 2 foot high platform and died. ahaha! I fear my mouse / keyboard / monitor may get some verbal abuse through this adventure...

Good Luck?! I just fell off a 2 foot high platform and died. ahaha! I fear my mouse / keyboard / monitor may get some verbal abuse through this adventure...

LOL that's happened to me before too. It's better if you hold Shift down whilst pressing the W key - that makes you walk at a normal pace rather than jog everywhere. Stops such mishaps from happening too often (though, I still managed to launch myself from the top of a wrecked cargo ship I was exploring into the cargo hold). You'll also find if you walk more than jog/run you won't get as hungry or thirsty as often and can travel greater distances with less food and water.

• Like 1

You can also press shift twice to toggle jog/walk, I usually have it on walk when moving through towns etc.

You can also press shift twice to toggle jog/walk, I usually have it on walk when moving through towns etc.

Oh yes, I forgot about that option - nice catch! :D

How quick does night time change back to the day. As I pretty much can't do anything whilst it's black. 

Depends on the server settings. A whole day cycle can be made by 24/12/6 or even 2 hours.

Ta Mucho :)

I think I'll have to prod people on my friends list to come and play. Every town / house I've been in now has already been looted. I did pick up some athlete trainers though. 

ok... still no loot. not even a shovel this time. 

How does a newbie gather items?! Guess I need to be someones bitch. ha!

Sounds like the server you are playing on hasn't been reset, or there is someone who has spawned before you that has cleared the place out (or more than one). Try different servers until you find one with some loot.

Sounds like the server you are playing on hasn't been reset, or there is someone who has spawned before you that has cleared the place out (or more than one). Try different servers until you find one with some loot.

I changed servers a few times, also to "daylight only" ones.. but it was still dark. Possibly a bug with the new update?

Your sig... coast + torch = me! ha. I managed to pick up a backpack, a carnival mask, ammo... but died of starvation. damn this blasted game! lol