Kytampe

new player question!

Ok, so I'm new. So bare with me if these questions have been asked before. But you can't expect me to read over 1000 posts to find an answer now do you? :)

First of all. Will all the doors in houses be able to open in the future? Don't know about you, but those flimsy door in these houses I could easily break down irl so..

Will I be able to open up dressers? I mean, some are allready open and rags are a vital part in this game. Don't want to leave that nice stack of t-shirts just beacuse I can't seem to open that flimsy dresser door made out of plywood thin as paper.

And will I be able to open up the refrigerators. Food anyone? Don't know about you, but I usually have a can or 6 in my refrigirator. So it's strange I can't open them ingame.

I have been running around and just watching the sceneries. It's great. Nice game and I actually got lost in the woods. I was feeling thirsty as hell and I couldn't find any houses. I DID however find that nice pond there. Crystal clear water, nice location. Perfect for a camp. But first of all, I couldn't drink the water. Why? I'm thirsty and I'm standing kneedeep in a beatiful pond. Why can't I drin?  And will I be able to make camp someday in the future? Sleeping bags, a nice cozy fire. You know.

On the thirsty thing note. What is going on with that? I was thirsty, had 4 cans of some slimy soda in my backpack. Drank all of them and was still thirsty? Just a bug, or is it going to be like this? I have to drink over 100 cans a day, just to survive.

Food, well. During that time I was lost in the woods. I couldn't drink and eat for a whole night. It was dark, so I could barely see anything. Looked and looked for fodd. Couldn't find any. Starved to death before the day came. Starved to death in 6 hours?  So basically I have to have a trailer full with water and food just to survive one day. Not that I'm complaining or anything. Just want to make sure these are glitches, bugs or whatever soon to be rectified?

Overall a nice game. I can't stop playing it, so it will be fun following this game through beta and into a full fledged game. Good work guys! :)

• Like 1

I can't answer about the drawers and fridge and whatnot, but as for the pond you can drink out of it. Its a pain sometimes. I always go into first person, crouch down and walk around through it and it'll eventually pop up saying "Drink Water." Food is typically pretty easy to find. Any house in a town or city almost always has some sort of food, and you dont need to eat ridiculous amounts to stay alive. And if you drank that much soda, you shouldn't have been thirsty at all, so maybe it was a glitch. They are planning on adding tents or bases of some sort in the future, from my understanding. Hope I answered your questions.

• Like 1

Thank you. fast and nice answers. You are my new best friend.   :) 

I'll try and drown myself next time I need to drink then. :)  But I'm currently playing again, and once again I am drinking over 4 cans of soda but I'm still thirsty? this must be a big bug/glitch, or perhaps the game just don't like me.

Byw, is there anywhere I can read about when they will be "cluttering" up the world. It seems rather empty at the moment. I mean 10 houses, 10 kitchens and not a single fork or spoon? Everyone uses firewood, but not a single axe or knife. I'm sure they are going to put those out at sometime. Could be fun to know somewhat when :)

That definitely must be a glitch. I know this is going to be a dumb question, but you are actually drinking the soda, right? Not just putting it in your inventory? I'm sure you're drinking it, but just trying to make sure. And if you are drinking it, when you hit TAB, what color does the "Thirsty" appear in? And i imagine they will add more and more as the fix current bugs and glitches. Next week they are adding a shotgun and the ability to make it into a sawn off shotgun, a new town, the ability to pick berries, and more. I always carry an axe, but dont carry a knife since I found a can opener. Axes are your best weapon against zombies, they are quiet and kill them rather quickly.

• Like 1

I'm defenitly drinking. At least it goes from 100% to 0% and then the is nothing left in my bag. Strange thing with tha is, when I eat I usually take "seconds". First time I eat the can down to 30% or something and then I eath the rest. The soda I tend to gulp down in one giant slurp. Again a glitch perhaps? or is it meant to be like that? One can of carbonated soda? I'll burpkill the zombies after that. :)

EDIT: Oh forgot. The thirsty is always red for me. Does it come in different colors?

Edited by Kytampe

Tip regarding water, there are some refillable containers such as the Water Bottle and the Canteen

You can fill them up at Water Pumps located in many towns

Ah, nice thanks. Never found a canteen, nor a water bottle. Something to look for then.

• Like 1

thirsty in red means you are dying of thirst, you must drink a lot to even get to yellow.  The food and water system is kind of hard to understand for new players, luckily this forum has a guy called Merino who will explain everything to you if you take the time to watch his very informative videos: 

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/159251-merinos-in-depth-video-guides-updated-jan-15th-understanding-sicknesses-and-surviving-poisoning/

Watch his guides on thrirst and hunger.  Basically you must eat and drink a lot when you first spawn to attain healthy status.  Once you are healthy eating and drinking becomes less of a pain.  You must remember according to the lore of the game your character survived some traumatic ordeal like a shipwreck (when spawn on beach) or a helicopter crash (when spawn inland) and is in very bad shape when you spawn.  So your first priority is to sort out your health when spawning.

• Like 1

thirsty in red means you are dying of thirst, you must drink a lot to even get to yellow.  The food and water system is kind of hard to understand for new players, luckily this forum has a guy called Merino who will explain everything to you if you take the time to watch his very informative videos: 

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/159251-merinos-in-depth-video-guides-updated-jan-15th-understanding-sicknesses-and-surviving-poisoning/

Watch his guides on thrirst and hunger.  Basically you must eat and drink a lot when you first spawn to attain healthy status.  Once you are healthy eating and drinking becomes less of a pain.  You must remember according to the lore of the game your character survived some traumatic ordeal like a shipwreck (when spawn on beach) or a helicopter crash (when spawn inland) and is in very bad shape when you spawn.  So your first priority is to sort out your health when spawning.

Nice, thanx a lot for that info. helped a lot. One more question about drinking. I have a big lake to my right. I can't drink it at all. Is it saltwater? because there are bushes groving in the sand next to it that kinda suggests it's freshwater. Saltwater should instakill a bush trying to grow there. :) Or is it just the makers who are bad @ biology. :D

no some lakes/ponds are bugged at the moment but it's definately possible to drink from some of them and even to fill your canteen in them.  Some of them just have specific trigger points so walk around the edge scrolling your mouse wheel untill the option to drink appears.  Not a fan of drinking from lakes and ponds, a water fountain is so much easier and they are everywhere.  Most big cities have atleast 3 and smaller towns have at least one sometimes 2.

• Like 1

Nice, thanx a lot for that info. helped a lot. One more question about drinking. I have a big lake to my right. I can't drink it at all. Is it saltwater? because there are bushes groving in the sand next to it that kinda suggests it's freshwater. Saltwater should instakill a bush trying to grow there. :) Or is it just the makers who are bad @ biology. :D

I think you cant drink from big lakes, only smaller ponds

• Like 1

I finally managed to drink from a pond. But then there came the obvious question. Am I continously drinking or do I have to klick to drink several times? I Waited for quite some time but the "thirsty" never changed, and when I spamklicked I had to do it like 30 times. Always good to know how too do it properly. ;)