Sign in to follow this  
kayotte

Help! New player coming from the SA, have got a question for you veterans :)

Hello guys.

After 150+ hours of the Dayz SA, I decided i should stop playing for just a while, untill next patch arrives, and should check out the mod.

Fortunately, Humblebundle came in handy, offering Dayz mod for only 6$, so i decided to buy it.

So I've played on couple of servers through Dayzcommander, and for some reason I noticed the content of the server is nothing like I've seen in videos. 

I used to watch alot of Frankie's dayz videos (I guess you're familiar with his series), but all i could find is modded servers anywhere, modded debug monitor, modded everything.

Plus, whenever I switch servers I need to start all over again. My loadout doesn't save..

From what I understood, it has something to do with hives, but i couldn't find a valid answer.. Is there a way to play only in official unmodded and completely untouched servers? Which actually save progress?

P.S - What's the difference between Epoch and DayZmod?

Thanks in advance :)

I'm in the same boat as you. As far as i know the epoch version has base building in it, and possibly more items. As for finding the types of servers you want your best bet would most likely be finding a server with like minded players that you like and sticking with it.

Well, first you have to understand the difference between official public hive servers and private servers (could be part of a private hive, or not). Official public hive servers are all linked into a central official database where all "saves" (character data, gear, progress, position on the map) are stored, Not vehicles and tents though, these items are server specific. So every time you join a public hive server you continue with your character. Private servers are not linked to this database, each one has its own database, usually are modded (1000 vehicles, self-bloodbags, added buildings etc) so each time you play on one, your progress is stored in its own database. Only by joining the same server you can continue with your character.

Sad thing is that there are a few (last time I checked, which was long ago, so I could be wrong) public hive servers which are modded. Anyhow, try to filter servers with DayzCommander, check hide unofficial, check hide wrong arma/mod versions, look for servers starting with lets say US349 or UK283 depending on your location (random numbers, just showing you the naming scheme) stating in the server name "official" or "public hive" and you should be alright. Be sure to try multiple servers, because server lag and framerates fluctuate heavily. So try a few, see which one suits you, and stick to it. Also beware of server hoppers, people spawning in high loot areas from other servers, praying on other people.

Epoch is a mod based on DayZ mod, with some additions, like base building, safes (I think) etc. You can read more about it here.

Welcome to the mod.

Edited by h3l1x
  • Like 1

First of all h3l1x is correct.

Second of all I can see your frustration coming from Frankie's videos to the Mod for yourself. His videos are for entertainment and are not a true representation of gameplay. Not to mention the hacking allegations which display some solid evidence for that kind of activity. But this is justifiable because many people enjoy these videos and I see no harm in what he does.

Here is some steps I posted elsewhere for help on Commander: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/164566-recommend-me-a-server/

Goodluck..

Sobaka

TYS