Sign in to follow this  
Space Milk

Adding Random Encounters?

Would be pretty cool to add some ominous random encounters.

Something like seeing and hearing a jet fly high high above, meteor shower, meteorite landing, zombies mauling eachother, zombies coming out of the ground, just not anything that can directly be advantageous or disadvantageous to the player, and definitely no low flying air craft like helicopters.

The way it could be set up can be just like how it is set up in Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas.  You can type Fallout 3 Random Encounters in google and take a reader to see how it is done.

I think it could add to the atmosphere, or keep players on their toes, break the ice once in a while.

If you don't bother reading what I suggested (WHICH YOU SHOULD, before making any judgements, and because it is hard for me to explain) I would say that you enter a certain area, maybe doing a certain thing or having something certain, then there is a chance that a random encounter would occur (or it will always happen if conditions are met)  

Depending on which area you are in or what you are doing, there are different random encounters for different things. 

meteor shower

Only remotely good idea; jets are just as bad as random sounds, creating unrealistic immersion breakers. Meteor impacts would just kill everyone on the server. Zombies attacking each other is silly. DayZ Zombies dont' come out of the ground.

• Like 4

Would be pretty cool to add some ominous random encounters.

Something like seeing and hearing a jet fly high high above, meteor shower, meteorite landing, zombies mauling eachother, zombies coming out of the ground, just not anything that can directly be advantageous or disadvantageous to the player, and definitely no low flying air craft like helicopters.

The way it could be set up can be just like how it is set up in Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas.  You can type Fallout 3 Random Encounters in google and take a reader to see how it is done.

I think it could add to the atmosphere, or keep players on their toes, break the ice once in a while.

If you don't bother reading what I suggested (WHICH YOU SHOULD, before making any judgements, and because it is hard for me to explain) I would say that you enter a certain area, maybe doing a certain thing or having something certain, then there is a chance that a random encounter would occur (or it will always happen if conditions are met)  

Depending on which area you are in or what you are doing, there are different random encounters for different things. 

Umm... Hate to burst your bubble, but that's impossible to my knowledge. F3 and F:NV have a "cellular" structure. A cell is a piece of the map that is loaded when you go there. DayZ on the other hand is loaded at once and changes to it are loaded if they are near you. The way it's done in Fallout is impossible for DayZ. But someone may find a way to make it work, I dunno. Sounds interesting though.

Edited by Julius Caesar
  • Like 2

I'd be happy with stuff like an SU25  streaming overhead solmetimes, or zombies fighting each other But the zombies aren't moles

I think as we go further down the road in development these things will start to happen naturally. Some quick examples.

- Once there is vehicles.. you might see a plane/heli crash.. or a bunch of maniacs speeding down the train track in a broken down school bus at 4am. 

- Weather will help with this as well. making it harder to get around. perhaps blocking some areas.. or making it hard to see in an intense rain storm.. or the sun blinding you off the freshly fallen snow. 

- Spawning. Once the entire world isn't spawning on the coastline. we might see more bambi's in the north half of the map rather than full geared out military mega machines who farmed the whole way up at night on a server with a population of 2. Hence more opportunity for interesting player interaction rather than getting slaughtered as soon as you approach anything. 

- Loot value. There is way too much of EVERYTHING right now.. Seems completely silly to see 25 people running around in complete military garb with fully kitted out M4's.. It's scary to go anywhere. 

It happened in DayZ Mod, I am sure it will start to happen here. 

Umm... Hate to burst your bubble, but that's impossible to my knowledge. F3 and F:NV have a "cellular" structure. A cell is a piece of the map that is loaded when you go there. DayZ on the other hand is loaded at once and changes to it are loaded if they are near you. The way it's done in Fallout is impossible for DayZ. But someone may find a way to make it work, I dunno. Sounds interesting though.

Ahh, thanks for the information.  I was unaware of that.

What? Why would it be impossible to make meteors fly over the map? Or jets? Or anything..? Are you sure you are aware that those things are possible even with A2 scripting, so those are probaply possible to do with this engine where they don't even have to script shit, they can make it completely engine based.. 

meteor shower

Only remotely good idea; jets are just as bad as random sounds, creating unrealistic immersion breakers. Meteor impacts would just kill everyone on the server. Zombies attacking each other is silly. DayZ Zombies dont' come out of the ground.

Agreed other than the Meteor killing everyone.

Meteor Showers: Sound pretty

Zombies fighting: Eh, maybe

Jet flying over: Thats just more random noise

Meteor impacts: Why?

Zombies coming out of ground: Wrong game, DayZ are infected not the undead