SystemiK

What if DayZ added a single player mode? Hear me out.

The forums are full of posts from people who can't seem to stomach the fact that this is a very difficult and brutal game. Seems every other new post is someone wanting to water down the difficulty a bit more, which would ultimately lead to this brilliant "anti-game" becoming yet another run of the mill, industry standard Zombie FPS.

Suggestion:

Create a single player mode for those who like the DayZ concept, but who refuse to accept the game as it is. Let them have their 'easy mode', hell let 'em have zombie picnics and rainbows and shit, they could pick and choose the dificulty from a list. But keep any single player character seperate from MP mode. With a bit of additional coding, it might allow a co-op mode where people who are so inclined can play DayZ with a few friends free of all the open world MP concerns which seem to piss them off so often.

I really don't want a single player / co-op mode. But if it would placate all those people who are incessantly screaming for an easier DayZ experience I would be all for it. Given that the direction seems to be trending toward a standalone release, an SP mode would not be unexpected at all.

Downsides:

- I really don't think the experience of blindly jumping into DayZ as it is, can be beat. I certainly won't ever forget that first evening spent with DayZ. A SP "tutorial" option would greatly diminish the feeling which we all experienced the first time playing this mod, and it would completely miss out on many of the daily experiences which we all encounter. There is no way an SP version could recreate these and I would hate for people to miss out on them by only focusing on an SP version.

- I'm sure some of the bandito's among us would regret many of their "fish in a barrel" noobs not being present for their daily target practicing enjoyment...but then again it would up the ratio of experience among the remaining MP players.

I can't imagine that it would be a huge problem to code (though I'm willing to be wrong about that), and it should all be able to be handled client side without any server interaction.

Honestly, I would never even suggest this were it not for the amount of rage on the forum between those of us that want a more hardcore experience, and those who want a more mainstream picnic. How about offering a divide where people have an option to go SP or CO-OP when MP proves to be a bit more than they bargained for (rather than heading straight to the forum to bitch about how hard it is or how they got shot by a complete stranger)?

Any thoughts? Would the any of the people who seem so unhappy with the current mod be content to play an SP or CO-OP version and stop trying to water down what we have reached thus far?

I could see SP getting added on down the road, but not in its current Alpha/Beta state. Also, no co-op. You want co-op? Play online with friends.

If you read my post you would see that I could give a rats ass about SP or co-op, I'm just trying to figure out a way to chill out the masses of people who are screaming at the top of their lungs daily trying to water down the game.

This game is meant for multiplayer.

With that said, I would like to see a single player,but not like the multiplayer mode.

If there were a single player, it should set up the story or such ( of course this would be down the road in the dev. cycle, if it becomes a standalone.)

The Mainstream players that you speak of will always whine about something or another and I don't think a single player mode that is identical to the multiplayer mode ( excpet a few changes) would be for the best.

Multiplayer should be the main attraction to this mod, noobs and mainstream players included. They either adapt, or GTFO. No EASY mode should be included. They can scream all they want, but rocket will just enjoy it more...

No..........

Well, thanks for taking the time to share that considered and well thought out reply.

I would like to see a Single Player version as well... One that isn't produced by someone who, apparently, broke their agreement with the Mods original designer. For me, the joy of the experince is the lonley, isolated, desperate feel which is hampered by the existance of friends who want to team up and bandits who are only looking for player kills as if this were Battlefield with food.

I encourage the single player version. :)

Not really against the idea of playing offline singleplayer, but only if there's a way to separate your single player status from your online status. You shouldn't be allowed to farm-up gear without threat of being killed by a player, then be able to take that gear online to kill other players.

I am generally against making this game a SP game, I think it would take players away from the MP aspect which is what this game is about...>BUT, after reading some of these replies I actually think a SP mode that serves as the back story to this point would be pretty cool. It could bring you through the beginning stages of the outbreak. At the beginning you would maybe kill a few crazy bandit types, then lead into the wide spread out break and would have to get through certain places (not on this map), and at the end of the SP mode you escape on a boat, that then sinks off the coast and you swim for it.

Want to continue your tail? Play MP. Want to play the SP mode over and over go for it. I think that would be cool.

(PS- I generally don't play the online MP part of games and enjoy the SP modes the most (like Battlefield and all the mods); but really think this game needs the MP part)

Obviously items gained in single player wouldn't carry over to the Multi player. The information would be stored locally for single.

I also don't feel that the multiplayer is "What this game is about", but that's obviously a matter of personal prefferences. :)

you ALREADY can play dayz in single mode. Google is your friend.

The forums are full of posts from people who can't seem to stomach the fact that this is a very difficult and brutal game. Seems every other new post is someone wanting to water down the difficulty a bit more' date=' which would ultimately lead to this brilliant "anti-game" becoming yet another run of the mill, industry standard Zombie FPS.

[/quote']

I stopped at that last sentence.

I am absolutely tired of these retarded statements. NO ONE IS ASKING FOR A COMPLETE OVERHAUL. Making a brutally difficult game slightly easier won't make it an easy "run of the mill" game. IT WILL STILL BE BRUTALLY HARD, that is what everyone wants, trust me.

People just don't want BROKEN hard which is where the game is heading right now.

Please change your mind set and get the idea "if people wanna make the game slightly more balanced and fair then they're causal srcubs that like everything easy" out of your head.

I'm not attacking you personally, it's just the egos of some of the people here are WAY overly inflated and its pissing me off. They just love showing off their e-peens and thinking "I'm better than you because I like the game hard, I can take it. I love every change made that makes the game harder"

People like this adds NOTHING to the forum or the game. People like this are blind cocksuckers, i'm sorry to be so blunt but i'm just telling it how it is.

Rocket WANTS CRITICISM, he needs to know what hes doing wrong and what he needs to change while the game is still early in development.

If you like how the game is now, then rocket should just stop updating the game cause obviously the game is finished according to you.

Some of the people here actually knows something about game design, they understand that there is a line drawn that should not be crossed and people like this are only encouraging rocket to cross the line even further and ruin the games future success.

Sorry for the rant

well.. all these passworded servers with just 1 to 5 people in there show very well there is a single player version of the game, where people can get their gear very easy. you must be willing to spend your money for your own server and here you go with "single player". interesting to read that servers always have to be open for the public .... but reality is very different at this point!

make your own server, get your gear in your passworded server (saying testing) with your friends or alone... and after this "mission" is finished you are open ro run amok with your night vision and sniper rifles on other servers to show what big boy and excellent player you are because noboy knows you are just a big ****!

I support an official Singleplayer, not the retarded version Kronsky released WITHOUT PERMISSION. Really, anyone who supports that version doesn't deserve to play DayZ at all.

But yes, I would especially support the single player if it was just a little backstory. Maybe not set in Chernarus, maybe another, smaller map, where the zombie outbreak (or experiment, or whatever this mysterious story entails) has just begun.

There was a SP mode for awhile, someone made it and rocket thought it was a cool idea at first, but saw down the road people would play single player to get away from bandits while looting towns. it was also an issue with the whole fact that people spawned equipment,weapons and went into multiplayer servers with the best equipment they temporarily think this game is meant for multiplayer and choose not to work on a singleplayer function im glad you made this post so people know it's not a good idea for singleplayer modes. Way to easy to get gear because you wouldn't have to care about bandits, we all know zombies aren't even the main threat anymore:angel:

If you read my post you would see that I could give a rats ass about SP or co-op' date=' I'm just trying to figure out a way to chill out the masses of people who are screaming at the top of their lungs daily trying to water down the game.

[/quote']

Let them scream a blood curdling scream, it just adds to the atmosphere :)