Sign in to follow this  
strict_flow

An idea to solve insta-logging

I'm sure plans already exist to solve this but I had an idea of my own...

How about the only way you can insta-log is after you have established 'camp' by building a fire in the woods and securing the camp.  (camp would be secure after a minute following the igniting of the fire)

Any other forms of logging would leave your character idle on the server for a specific amount of time (2-5 minutes?)  

This would help defend against server hoppers jumping from server to server while perched on prime advantage points like the tops of buildings or hot spots like military zones.  Granted, a lot of hot spots are near forests where players could still log quickly but they would at least have to move/infiltrate an area instead of just logging in and looking around in 3rd person while concealed.

Also since the 'flies' are now gone from dead bodies what about hawks circling dead bodies in the air? 

And what about the zombies? They'd attack you while idle.

Under this system anything or anyone would be able to attack or interact with the idle character.

It's a horrible idea anyway. The best bet would be like how the Epoch servers handle things now, or at least the ones I've played on. You want to  log out, you go to the log out screen and it takes 10 seconds before the exit button is clickable. You could always pull your ethernet cable, but that'll glitch you and the computer thinks you are still in the game for up to a couple of minutes.