terox

Higher Aim than just looting (Missions etc)

Everyone should spawn as "Survivors" not be set as Group A or B.

They should have the Option (if they want to) join A or B, or stay Independent/Bandit.

I don't think scripted missions have any place in Day Z - most anything scripted would detract from the essence of the game and it's general appeal (outside of the base functionality of course).

I do however agree that as things are currently' date=' there is definitely a lack of longevity. I'm not very familiar with the Arma 2 engine or it's capabilities, though I'm going to assume it's fairly flexible in what can be done with it.

What is currently lacking are means with which players can interact with the world, and for the world to interact with itself. The more this is expanded upon, the more possibilities for dynamically created, user driven "scenarios" exist. Allow me to demonstrate my meaning:

"A group of 5 people find themselves travelling together, surviving together. Over time they grow trustworthy of one another and begin to work efficiently as a team. Growing weary of the relentless travel, they want to create a 'safe zone' for themselves - somewhere they can find at least some comfort in being.

After clearing out an isolated farm house, they decide to fortify and collect resources. Collecting barbedwire and wood from a nearby town, they begin to build a fence around the property. Luckily they find a gas powered generator in the barn and had the state of mind to collect some gasoline in their travels. On their next trip out, they head to a military base, recovering a couple flood lights and more material for their fence. They setup the lights, powered by the generator so they can sweep the surrounding area for potential threats, etc..."

Hopefully that random little blurb better conveys my meaning... not to say that's EXACTLY how things should be, but the level of interaction with the world is what makes a sandbox game truly awesome.

You say "No Factions" - I agree completely that there should be no pre-determined factions. However with greater freedom to interact with the world and other players - player factions will be created naturally, and die out just the same.

[/quote']

ARMA II does give players to build bases o.O You might be on to something. Might be hard to implement in a meaningful way in DayZ though, especially when you're talking about cross-server compatibility. That's the coolest thing in this mod, is that you can join whatever server you want, and you're good to go. But, as of right now, tents and vehicles are a bit buggered when it comes to cross-server detection.

I think building a fortress would never work for this, maybe having a non-PVP fortress far north, where players can enter and be safe from other players, people can trade and barter, etc. I don't know.

Gah these are all good ideas. But missions create teams.

Teams create set goals

Set goals create stagnated play

Stagnated play creates BLEH

If you spawn, instead of looting you go to the nearest base, you end in a cycle. I would much rather have the current system with side goals found in buildings. You find a key that opens a building that is more defendable, or something of that sort.

Hasn't anybody noticed the main page of the site? The "Average Life Expectancy" section? Rocket's not interested in "missions" and stuff like that, and he shouldn't be. This isn't 'that game'. This is 'life is harsh, grab a fucking helmet'.

TKJ