FatKangaroo

My first 24 hours

Hello, I'm FatKangaroo! You can call me Rufus or Roo for short if you'd like.

Before and while downloading the game I did further research into the game, like looking at the wiki, watching tutorial videos and what not. Even though with all the cautions of this game being buggy I wanted to delve right in! My biggest goal for this game is, once I get myself acclimated with the game play and world map, to be able to help players - old and new players alike. I'll eventually become a hero if all goes well. 

I started to play DayZ on Steam on the 7th of this month then enjoy the game and jump right into the action! I have enjoyed the game very much so far, and here is a summary of my first 24 hours of game play!

After going through a few servers, I finally found a day time server so I can learn the controls in peace. After a while of fumbling around I started to get the hang of it. Still near the coast I find a small cabin. I approach it stealthily then I hear odd sounds, someone is punching me! I scramble to react but I totally forgot how to operate my newly learned controls and I think I just crouched and un-crouched. Once on my feet, I get my fists out and punch him back in self-defense. I punch him once and a few moments later he died. I found that very odd, but I'm glad it happened!  :lol:  

Many of my hours have been trudging through the woods, not much exciting there but I guess it's one way to get from one place to the other safely. I later bugged out when trying to pick something up, so I changed servers. I didn't take heed of the text of each server, and I took the time read though the titles of each. To my satisfaction I learned that there are friendly, No PvP, anti-Bandit, etc. servers. I figured for the time being I'll be playing on those servers until I get fully adjusted to DayZ. So after some more time I found a player. Oh yeah, don't be fooled by zombies. The first zombie I saw I thought was a player, it didn't end so well. Just as a note, players have a more proper posture than zombies do; now I know. Though this player was AFK, and had several bleeding animations... on and off him, must be a bug. I tore my shirt a few minutes earlier to stop the bleeding; I used my spare to help out this fellow. I was able to stop it but I was out of rags. So I looked for more, leaving the AFK player be. I went up the road and into a nearby house to look for supplies but turned out empty. I head back where I came from, back down the road and I see my first (active) player who is well armed. A half-naked guy with rags in his hand vs. guy with gun, who will win? GO! It turned out that I was lucky and he wanted to help me out, he taught me a thing or two. As we continued down the road I see the guy I helped out dead on the road... well at least I tried. lol 

After a few lives later I run into the same sort of situation. I see another well-armed player while I'm near the coast, a little bit more aggressive... kinda scared me too. Turns out that there were bandits very nearby and killed many survivors, which explains all the bodies. Only my third time encountering someone, I try to explain that I'm new and that I have no intention to do any harm. And he's like, "If you try to kill me, I have a buddy in the mountains that will get you". Mumbling to myself (off the mic of course) "Yeah like I'm gonna be able to punch you to death" *Thinks about first encounter, hmmm... maybe. Nah* But he too offers to help me out leads me to the bandits, of which he killed. And said "Take what you want". They had guns, ammo, melee weapons and all the good stuff! I took the stuff and sincerely thanked him. We continued to talk shortly, and the connection cut out! I log back in and I spawn at the beach, with nothing. Nuuuuu! I finally had a great setup. >:(  Oh well, time to go back out there.

Eventually I started to get a little bit of a grip on some areas/towns and at least knew where to get a simple pistol and a chance of some ammo, the Fire Station. I've had lives where I had ammo, but no gun, had a gun, but no ammo until finally I got both! I was so excited, but I didn't want to use it until I needed to. Before I leave, I check the roof of the station for anything else. Clumsily I press a wrong button and press the sprint and run off the roof. D'oh... <_< (I have a slightly different button setup, too bad it doesn't save. I have to redo it so often.)

Besides that it's been me wondering around aimlessly. I met someone else, but we got split up quickly due to zombies. I helped another guy out for a brief amount of time, and I actually got his name "No one" seriously, it's his name. Soon after he started helping me out, but broke his legs. I wanted to help, but I didn't have anything to help, we just spawned recently, nor did I or still do have any idea where the hospital is. He died and I was on my own once again. 

But this morning was my best life yet. Starting midafternoon yesterday, I finally look at a map online and try to find out where I can get some decent military stuff. I spent the rest of the day yesterday just trying to find out where I even was in the map! It was only like two hours before I was done for the night when I finally found myself on the map. From there and after waking up this morning I looked for the air strips and barracks to finally get what I needed. Another few hours, maybe 2 hours after waking up I finally see one of the air fields. I begin to get some great stuff then I start to head allll the way north to the very large air strip, the one in the northwest-ish I believe. Eventually I get there and get an M4 with tons of ammo, attachments and all sorts of other helpful goodies. Then I find a backpack I'd like to trade for, something less flashy than my current red one. That when issues came along, I just couldn't seem to get the new backpack after taking mine off, then taking the items out from my previous backpack. Like 15 minutes after of looking at it, clicking, and re-logging I got it. I changed the servers; maybe the other one had a bad connection at the time? And I continued from there. I fought off some zombies, and started bleeding. I tried to switch items into my hands and bandage myself, but it seems my game froze again. After clicking a few more times I attempt to relog. I get back in and I'm on the beach. I uh b-but, ffff aaahhh! *Sigh* They did warn me it's though, but it's just a game  :D

GG

Even with many bugs and glitches, bad graphics card at the moment and not so great internet connection... the game is still very fun. It's the same great idea of zombie survival but with unique elements and with more to (hopefully) come.

I did play 24 hours worth of the game within 3 days, but I have a lot of free time for now. My college classes start back up within two weeks, and I'll be happy to be busy again. Yes, I like being busy. But I will play when and if I have time, I have other projects ahead too...

I've also posted a few questions else where, if you could help me out I'd like that very much! 

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/163768-a-few-valid-questions/

Also give me  :beans: if you liked my story or just want to help me get started on the forums! I have an  :emptycan: and I'm getting hungry! Feed the fat kangaroo!

Hehe, welcome :) I've only been hanging here for a while (and haven't played as much as you in 3 days lol..) but it's a nice community here.