Sign in to follow this  
malicor

An easy fix to prevent server hopping

hi,

i think the following would be an easy solution for server hoppers and combat loggers from having any success:

whenever you logout/disconnect you don't immediately vanish from the server, but (automatically) sit down in the game, and have an animation of preparing a camp for 15 seconds.

this way noone who is threatened by other players can simply logout and get away. (since the other players will see him making camp, and still have time to bash his head in)

whenever a player logs in, and is closer than 300 yards to another player, all those players get displayed a 2 second info-screen "another player logged in close to you", and gets

invulnerability against that new player for 15 seconds.

if the last time the new player has played on this server is longer than 1 hour ago, the new player gets invulnerability for 15 seconds, too (so he cannot be counter-snipered), but if

he did play recently on that server, he's considered a server-hopper and doesn't get any invulnerability (as penalty for switching frequently)

what do you guys think about this ?

regards, malicor

No.

Just because you're logging in, doesn't mean you were server hopping.. And while you're logging in you're already vulnerable for a good 60 seconds due to load time, and then the following lag/desync time before you can actually pull a weapon out and use it.. 

You didn't read all, I said you are server hopping if you go to the same server twice in a short time, and only then get a penalty.

You didn't read all, I said you are server hopping if you go to the same server twice in a short time, and only then get a penalty.

Okay.. So I am playing on a server, and the server goes down.. I try to log into another server in the same place I logged out, and suddenly I'm dead because someone shot me and I had no choice in the matter, except to miraculously remember which of 30 "US West" servers I joined? Again. No. There are better solutions to server hopping issues.

This idea isn't really original. And I'm sure the devs will implement some form or another of a similar idea. Just be patient.

why are you trying to fix server hopping when loot doesnt respawn? god people are dumb

why are you trying to fix server hopping when loot doesnt respawn? god people are dumb

Basically this.. As soon as Zombies/Loot respawns, server hopping will drop off.. It may not be completely "stopped", but server hopping isn't nearly as big of an issue as combat logging or ghosting.

The "making camp" thing I've suggested previously, although it's in the guise of a sleep/tiredness mechanic.

The rest of the OP's suggestions are guff though for reasons the last few posts have pointed out. Do not want or even need.

Edited by Monkfish

people dont server hop solely for loot, you must be dumb to make that assumption