Rzach

I have an idea for helping with the KOS problem. Rocket should read.

Might as well add masturbation to lose stress as well. That way I can just kill a guy and have my guy rub one out in a bush so his stress decreases. 

10/10

What I find more amusing are the so called 'Hardcore' who think that in real events society would break down into a KoS mentality. Yes this is a game and it's very easy here. Shit I like it because I'm mainly against it depending on the situation and it gives me something to think about and keeps me on my toes.

I reality though for the greater majority, put a gun in your hands and tell you to point it at the innocent unarmed person walking down the road and pull the trigger............ you'd be standing in a puddle of your own piss shaking so hard that you couldn't hit the target if your life depended on it.

KoS is essential in game to keep it interesting and tense, but don't come on here all Rambo because until you're put in that situation or someone pisses you off that much your reach for a weapon, you don't have the first clue as to whether you have the balls for it.

• Like 2

Your brain would still feel empathy. People are simply wired for it. Stress is realistic. Any response that states that because society isn't there anymore that you would no longer feel any stress from killing is simply false. Your brain is wired for it unless you have a mental disorder. Any argument that states that you would be different because you survived the apocalypse is false. Your brain chemistry and wiring will not change due to you surviving. You would still feel stress and suffer for it. This doesn't even touch upon the fact that people who go extended periods without contact with other people develop a variety of mental disorders. 

If I wanted realism I would want a depression meter in the game. As your life got more bleak you would become more likely to just kill yourself. I don't want realism. I want  consequences for my actions. Otherwise this game is simply another COD game where I spawn, find a gun, kill, rinse and repeat ad infinitum. 

• Like 2

Op actually has a very well thought through idea that you kids should listen to or go play one of your useless little games, that the market is full of.

Meeting people deep in the wild, and saying "hi" to them, would rarely result in a gun fireing rampage from the message recieving party.

KOS has nothing to do with reality, killing other players sometimes does. The KOS in Dayz is very unreal as it is now, and other players are seen only as loot boxes or possible threats to iliminate.

There is no insentive what so ever to let another player live, yet in real life you would have hundres or thousands of good reasons. Let me name you a few if you are still 12 and havent grown up yet.

1. The fear of going totally insane from killing other people (Go read Dostoyevsky Crime and Punishment if you want more in depth wisdom on how this might affect you kids)

2. The fear that you just killed the last human being on earth, and now you have to live with the zombies

3. Company. If you have been in the wild for weeks, you would never ever just shoot someone down, you would very carefully try and make contact.

4. Grouping against zombies. This is one of the things I fail to understand. In an apocalypse, you would be desperate to find people with whom you could group up with and fight off the zombies, not so in Dayz. (maybe if they made the zombies a real threat, they are pussy easy to kill right now)

5. Empathy. You see a guy bleeding, dying, and you shoot him in his face to take his gear? come on, you may be 12, but this is insane behaviour that hardly exists in real life, even considering an apocalypse. Empathy is one of the main drivers of human evolution.

Point is, in a game with no real consequences for killing other players, it will be just end up becoming your every day lousy and super boring and immature first person shooter experience.

The OP is not talking about taking the HARDCORENESS out of the game, but to make it more real, more mature, more like real life.

Kids go back to school please, and stop ruining our otherwise fantastic apocalypse simulator!

It's so easy to say in a zombie apocalypse that you'd kill anyone on site. But in all actuality, it would be easier to survive if you had multiple people searching the houses, etc.

Anyways, human nature craves companionship regardless of gender of either person. Our morals aren't something that society taught us.

The only time I can think of when people would start killing each other over zombies would be when the loot is very scarce, but you would definitely never kill your only chance of surviving on site. 

• Like 1

In all seriousness. Why does a game have to be completely authentic? 

It would be much more simple if you guys wouldn't stick your head out like target practice plates, and move in silence.

Or maybe stop playing completely if killing bugs you so hard. Go hop around in real life in the woods, holding hands, collecting mushrooms and hunting rabbits.

Well, my view is there is no need to kill other players to enjoy DayZ.  As you might know, I've been playing for about a year and a half and have never killed another player - shot at a some but always chose not to kill anyone.  I play survivalist style, so for me it's all about staying alive.  Of course, that can mean needing to kill in self defence but in all that time that just hasn't happened to me.

I didn't read the whole of the initial thread - far too long - but what I will say is: there will always be players who shout about "kill or be killed is the only way" but that's just their opinion.  Just because they're louder doesn't make them right. 

Everyone should enjoy the game the way they prefer.  When the servers are new and busy there will always be lots of players who think the game is to kill as many as possible.  As a survivalist it's much more of a challenge to survive under those circumstances.  So at least you can consider yourself the "better" player if you do stay alive, just as they think themselves the better player for killing more players.  :thumbsup:

• Like 4

Your solution is too broad and over-reaching. It is based on factors that do not affect people in equal or similar ways. KoS in some situations is very appropriate, and I feel real physical stress in simulated combat situations as it is (quickened pulse, unsteady hands). I don't need things to simulate this.

I also find myself with a high set of morals, yet higher than normal sense of apathy which in certain situations would make aspects of your idea less than appropriate for myself.

I don't support banditry or want to see this game turn into some lengthy pvp mmo joke, but your suggestions are convoluted, inappropriate, and in-applicable to enough situations and individuals that they should not be enforced globally, or at all for that matter.

Sorry to disagree.

Well, my view is there is no need to kill other players to enjoy DayZ.  As you might know, I've been playing for about a year and a half and have never killed another player - shot at a some but always chose not to kill anyone.  I play survivalist style, so for me it's all about staying alive.  Of course, that can mean needing to kill in self defence but in all that time that just hasn't happened to me.

I didn't read the whole of the initial thread - far too long - but what I will say is: there will always be players who shout about "kill or be killed is the only way" but that's just their opinion.  Just because they're louder doesn't make them right. 

Everyone should enjoy the game the way they prefer.  When the servers are new and busy there will always be lots of players who think the game is to kill as many as possible.  As a survivalist it's much more of a challenge to survive under those circumstances.  So at least you can consider yourself the "better" player if you do stay alive, just as they think themselves the better player for killing more players.  :thumbsup:

I agree 100%, my only problem is that its too risky to ever approach anyone you don't know considering that most people at this point have a KoS policy, but I've read a few of these posts and came to the conclusion there are plenty of people who play like me and are friendly. I just haven't met many ingame yet. They are all on the forums xd

Your solution is too broad and over-reaching. It is based on factors that do not affect people in equal or similar ways. KoS in some situations is very appropriate, and I feel real physical stress in simulated combat situations as it is (quickened pulse, unsteady hands). I don't need things to simulate this.

I also find myself with a high set of morals, yet higher than normal sense of apathy which in certain situations would make aspects of your idea less than appropriate for myself.

I don't support banditry or want to see this game turn into some lengthy pvp mmo joke, but your suggestions are convoluted, inappropriate, and in-applicable to enough situations and individuals that they should not be enforced globally, or at all for that matter.

Sorry to disagree.

I agree, I think fixing some of the things that make the game boring now, will lower the rate of player killers(i call them this because bandits normally don't want to kill you, just take your stuff, and I haven't ran into a lot of bandits, just people who kill for fun)

Edited by Arciere
  • Like 1

Yes, Arciere, you're right it's very risky approaching strangers.  That's why most of the time I play lone wolf and that means you have to survive on your own skills and not on other people's help.  It can be bloody hard.

You're right, they're probably all on here instead the servers.  I'm not playing much of the standalone right now, as I find the problems with being unable to type replies and the audio speech of other players far too loud and intrusive.  I don't like players jabbering loudly about nothing, which stops me from hearing approaching zombies and other players.  Once I've found a work around, feel free to say hi if you see me on a server.  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Op actually has a very well thought through idea that you kids should listen to

Sure. It just so happens, it has been well thought out by 1,000 people before and discussed at length and all the reasons why it's unnecessary and doesn't really work have been "well thought out" as well.

The fear of going totally insane from killing other people (Go read Dostoyevsky Crime and Punishment if you want more in depth wisdom on how this might affect you kids)

In Chernarus, the infected are people too. If killing people makes you go "totally insane," then killing zombies in the game will too. Sorry for that bit of news.

Point is, in a game with no real consequences for killing other players, it will be just end up becoming your every day lousy and super boring and immature first person shooter experience.

Everyone has been saying that for 2 years now, and the game hasn't turned into that yet, so it's obviously not a real danger.

Kids go back to school please, and stop ruining our otherwise fantastic apocalypse simulator!

I'm 34. Stop calling me a kid you little dipshit.
Edited by ZedsDeadBaby
  • Like 3

A stress mechanic would be a terrible way to reduce KOS in my opinion.

The reason KOS is so prevalent is that its a game with guns and right now you are very limited in how you can interact with other people.

When Team Rocket starts adding things that actually make it fun to interact with people in a positive way, then we'll finally have less KOS.  Card games, music, ball sports, maybe some board games or something... IDK.  Including mini-games to play with other survivors would go a long way I think.  Basically anything that would require multiple survivors will increase coop play.

A stress mechanic is just one more punishment for interacting with other players and makes the game feel tedious.  It would be one more thing that bandits just circumvent.  There will always be players killing other players no matter how you punish them for it (see how item durability damage hasn't changed player mentality?).

Emotional responses should be left to the player, not your in-game character.

Edited by Hectyk

But.. Why? Why should one suffer from that if the option is given in the first place. I rarely kill on sight, enjoy approaching survivors (in safe ways) and offering help/food/whatever, but sometimes i just have to do it.

Why? Because we want the game to be as realistic as possible, right? You want KoS? You got it because that's realistic. You know what else is realistic? Everything he wrote in his original post. But no, you just refuse that part. You only want realism when it's convenient for you.

• Like 1

The game is designed for hardcore players who are not willing to lose everything just to let someone pass by and loot things they may need.  

Can you please show me where does the Rocket himself says the game is designed for "hardcore players who...."  ?

Because if you can't then you're just pulling $hit out of your a$$. You're saying that because that's what YOU WANT the game to be.

• Like 1

Op actually has a very well thought through idea that you kids should listen to or go play one of your useless little games, that the market is full of.

Meeting people deep in the wild, and saying "hi" to them, would rarely result in a gun fireing rampage from the message recieving party.

KOS has nothing to do with reality, killing other players sometimes does. The KOS in Dayz is very unreal as it is now, and other players are seen only as loot boxes or possible threats to iliminate.

There is no insentive what so ever to let another player live, yet in real life you would have hundres or thousands of good reasons. Let me name you a few if you are still 12 and havent grown up yet.

Even though I think I am still on the same overall side of the argument as you, I think that you are wrong about these "facts" you suggest and could argue against any one. There is a lot of gray area within the aforementioned statements. 

You are correct, there "shouldn't" be any reason saying hi should erupt into gunfire, however, play this out in real life, and I would be a heck of a lot more careful about whom I said hello to for obvious reasons. It will happen.

KoS is a very real mentality, rule, whatever you want to call it. I have a lot of survivalist friends, as well as a practicing survivalist myself and have met plenty enough of people on both sides of the fence. There are those who prep in a very sustainable way, as well as those who simply arm themselves well enough and believe they will be able to take what they need. I don't agree with the latter, but they are very real examples of the type of individual you argue that don't exist in real life. I'd imagine that in real life however, the latter would eventually find their majority outgunned, outsmarted, or turned on by somebody within their own camp relatively soon. Such is life. People can be loot boxes and very real threats in real life. It just happens too frequently in game.

There are in fact very tangible incentives to letting another player live in game. People exemplify that every day in game and in this case you are being over-dramatic. Being called 12 for disagreeing with you is very childish and insulting on your part. Trying to validate points in such a way is counterproductive and only alienates those taking this conversation seriously and provokes and imitates those in which you are truly speaking of.

There is a difference between KoS, which is a rule enforced in certain situations, and complete, all out murdering. There are those in this game who take pleasure in killing people whether it is necessary or not, which I believe is natural, but probably way too common in the game. That will not change. Enforcing these types of suggested mechanics address items that aren't really the problem and in my opinion, not well thought out enough (again, sorry OP). You can't keep those types of individuals from playing the game in such a manner. We just have to play smarter than them.

• Like 2

You know many soldiers that have killed up close?

How about murderers? Civilians that have killed one or multiple people for whatever reason.

I have met and interacted with MANY of both examples for prolonged periods of time.

Sure it bothers some people. Many it doesn't. You're talking out of your ass.

So are you. Murderers get the death penalty and they never do it again. But this is a game, so they can keep doing it over and over again and then they argue that it's their right to.

Why? Because we want the game to be as realistic as possible, right? You want KoS? You got it because that's realistic. You know what else is realistic? Everything he wrote in his original post. But no, you just refuse that part. You only want realism when it's convenient for you.

It has nothing to do with realism. I want KoS because gathering cans of beans is more exciting if I have to worry about someone shooting me while I do it. It makes the game more intense and interesting. That's why I want KoS.

Incidentally, that's also why Dean wants KoS.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby

Its hard to come up with a good idea to add more player interaction since dayz is played in many different way. Do not forget that a good part of the player base use the game as a sniping simulator, other as a pvp arena and some as a scavenging survival game, etc. If you want to reduce kos, you must find something that do not penalize all those who play the game differently that you.

But i agree, considering the aggressive and insulting attitude of a good part of this community, the private servers will soon become the best option of another good part of the player base.

• Like 1

Would you have time to think about it? You are scavenging for scraps of food and drink in an urban area, you are starving, suddenly you see someone with a large sack of potatoes, you have a gun, if you starve any longer you will be too weak to fight impending death, what do you do? 

That's a nice quote. You're trying to show this image of people who are weak, starving, no water almost dying. And yet, the people who KoS are more like this, and proud of it.

Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:59 PM

howigotthemask.jpg

friendly neighbourhood watch... to be fair..he tried to run away....

I don't see anyone starving here, they're all happy and healthy and in the face of this impending "doom" you mention, they don't look like what you describe? or am i wrong? Do you see impending doom here? I don't. They killed this guy in cold blood and their explanation for it was that he tried to run. Sounds like psychopaths to me, not "starving" survivors.

This guy didn't even have a sack of potatoes, in fact he didn't have anything. 

Edited by jan3sobieski
  • Like 1

PTSD realistically, is something that sticks to a person forever. I know where you're going with this OP, but if you compare it to real life it doesn't really make sense. In a way, it is just another "gamey" type mechanic that will ruin the authenticity and immersion of player interaction, IMO. 

You all should probably read my post in depth. My idea is not to punish players with a system that permanently messes them up. In fact if you read it I even point out there should be a time delay between killing a person and gaining stress and the effects setting in. If you aren't a player that just goes on rampages throughout the game this system will not really hinder you. It even has mechanics that would allow those who want to KOS to do so. You would simply need the meds to stop the effects of stress. 

The only players who would really have a problem are the campers who set up shop in a city and kill everyone who is there until they run out of ammo or get taken out. Anyone who wants to kill another person for their gear could still do so. You would just have a small time frame to not have consequences. Once the effects set in you either use drugs to control them or find a safe spot and let them fade over time. 

The system is not meant to stop KOS but instead make you deal with the consequences of your actions. It is not intended to be completely realistic. It is intended to make a person think about what they are doing and plan for it.

Basically lets say you get into a fire fight with two bandits. You kill them and then you either take meds when the slight hand shaking begins or you get away from other players and let the shakes subside.  Lets say you have a rifle and you want to survive by killing others. You kill the players and take their gear. You hunt down meds that will stop the side effects of stress. You rinse and repeat. You are still able to KOS but now you need to adjust your play style to deal with the consequences. 

• Like 1

It has nothing to do with realism. I want KoS because gathering cans of beans is more exciting if I have to worry about someone shooting me while I do it. It makes the game more intense and interesting. That's why I want KoS.

Incidentally, that's also why Dean wants KoS.

Nothing stops you or anyone from KoS'ing with a change like this. It would only have some effects on you. Just like when a zombie draws blood from you, you have a chance to become sick. It's the same thing. What you do is walk it off, maybe treat your would with alcohol. It won't kill you.

Funny thing though these so called hardcore pvp'ers, they all play on day time servers, go figure.  Incidentally, is there any servers out there that actually have day/night cycles?  If so can someone point them to me.  Sick of these carebear day only servers. 

• Like 1

Humans only have a hard time with killing if the killing was done for nothing aka just for the fun of it then the person is likely to have some sort of mental illness. If a person kills for something and has a good reason to kill for it (killing for my country, killing for food for my family, or killing you and taking you ammo so I survive zombie apocalypse) then the person isn't likely to get any illness of mind or feel guilty in any way.