scaramoosh

I just don't find item decay fun...

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you don't have to sleep in your clothes for weeks at a time like a hobo.

Well judging by OP's love for old clothing, this might be him!

9gWVfEd.jpg

I consider the current degradation a bug. Everything else would be ridiculous. If you get shot, even once, everything is ruined. Makes no sense what so ever. Even shooting someone in the backpack one time should only ruin so many items. The bullet wont penetrate every single item you have on you. This is even more true for a clean headshot. I'd answer this with "it's alpha". Because this clearly not works as intended. At least I hope not  :D

The apocalypse isn't fun? :(

changing shooting habits of ruthless scavengers is not the purpose of item decay. it is a possible (and thats a highly debatable "possible") side effect.

item decay enhances the overall gameplay by changing the "gearing up" mechanic from "aquire once" to "aquire and maintain in a functioning condition" - we suddenly have an item sink and a long-term goal, both of which benefit the game.

i actually would like the degradation system to be enhanced. In FireFall for example - which has its issues of course - every shot degrades your gun a bit. items have a limited repair pool, and once it is depleted, items cannot be repaired again, but need to be replaced. i would love to see a similar concept in DayZ.

Edited by e47
  • Like 1

Didn't read the whole thing. Is this guy complaining about ruining the Beans of the bambis he shoots?

• Like 1

There will be other factors besides gear to think about for the victim. If getting the health status is a lot harder #, hen loosing some gear to a robber might be preferable to loosing that status. Then theres the....they wont be able to take all your gear so you might escape with some stuff. Also when stamina comes in, you may want to survive the encounter regardless of gear, just for the map progresion.

Item degridation will help....but only when we have super rare items. So say you see a guy with a very....very rare gun. You might not want to Kos....you may want one of only 6 of those guns across the public hive. Shooting wont be an option, as you wont want to ruin it and have it go back into the loot tables. Same with any super rare loot.

Kos will always be there, but item degridation has huge potential to encourage robbery over kos. But it wont be item degridation alone....it will be that combined with zombie threat and loot spawns. Think if they added 20 or 30 junk items to the loot tables now. Suddenly your chances of a weapon or ammo go right down.

If they make some kind of character progression where your guy gets better or healthier over time, it will be a reason never to let any captive live, since killing it will set back its progress and replace it with a weaker, less developed foe.

Exterminating what you can is always the right choice. The object is survival.

If you can successfully restrain and rob a target, it is preposterously wrong not to exterminate it afterwards.

Edited by HCHellCaptain

Do people still care about loot and dying any ways? If I die I have all the loot I lost within 20 mins... death isn't scary any more, Dayz isn't new and none of us care, it's just an annoyance now. 

Uh....I'm not trying to be a dick but.....why are you on DayZ forums and playing the game if you don't care and annoyed?

You're right, re-gearing up can be done rather quickly, but you can't get militarized quickly....which is sort of the "higher character level" in DayZ.

Didn't read the whole thing. Is this guy complaining about ruining the Beans of the bambis he shoots?

Pretty much. 

Hmmm.... YouTube has quite a collection of things being f'ked up by people shooting at them... seems pretty realistic to me!

Item decay is just a bad gameplay mechanic.

something they dabbled to punish a specific playstyle and in the end it does not work.

Why is this even in before it is finished to work properly? If it cannot ever work that precise, then don't bother having it in the game.

TL:DR Miffy has no comprehension of what Alpha means, move along.