kumiiyo

My fears regarding the future of DayZ

I totally feel you on that one kumiiyo. This is great criticism and I also have this point of view. Noobs that see the game at my house are not willing to buy Arma to play this game cuz of the problems you listed. Also its ridicoules not to defend at all! Not to have a gun at start is awesome, but not being able to punch or pick up a stick in the woods is suicide. Left clicking with the flashlight does nothing at the time, why not having a light melee weapon with this? Its better than nothing considering the "realistic" aspect of the game.

thanks for the support, guys. i hope Rocket comes to some of the same conclusions. This is a truly awesome concept, and i'd just like to see it be the best game possible. I don't see why some of these assholes rip on these ideas so hard. i mean it IS an alpha, but ISNT THAT WHY we give criticism?

Ok, I was a big opponent to the bizarre detection ranges we had up to 1.7.1.4, but when .5 came out everything seemed back to normal. So I have no idea what's going on with you. I do still agro more often, but sometimes it's just because I was being a jackass.

If you actually read the pending patch for monday its fixing the crazy spidey since.

The only point I agree with you on this post is the emphasis on morphine. My experiences have been entirely different than yours.

1. Zombie aggro isn't really that hard. I don't know what you're doing when proning but I NEVER get caught by zombies when I'm prone unless i'm directly 2meters in front of them.

2. People are going to kill each other whether you spawn with a weapon or not. Giving someone a weapon on respawn isn't going to make anyone else play any nicer because that player now poses a real threat. If a person is out to kill, then they won't give a damn of what they have in their pack. Against any decent sniper in Cherno, a makarov isn't going to take you very far.

3. Side chat I can't really say yay or nay on. Just a matter of preference I guess. If they made direct communication a little better, there would probably be less clamoring for its return.

I don't know where the chat is gone but it should be re-added. It is indeed like call of duty at the moment. Every single person shoots you on sight. No communication at all. This causes me honestly just to rush straight to Cherno or other city's or airports and look for a weapon. It's CoD at the moment.

The only point I agree with you on this post is the emphasis on morphine. My experiences have been entirely different than yours.

1. Zombie aggro isn't really that hard. I don't know what you're doing when proning but I NEVER get caught by zombies when I'm prone unless i'm directly 2meters in front of them.

Really? :O

I'm getting spotted by zombies in buildings from over 10 meters while proned...don't even want to talk about crouched... .

And when my buddy and me are raiding the airport, we are honestly not able to go prone all the time. We are not the only people there. And everyone shoots on sight. So we go crouched mostly.... and we get spotted by zombies from a far distance.

My opinion only:

I do not want side chat back. If there were a Zombie Apocalypse, I would have not side chat. And the whole bragging/friendly?/random stuff was killing immersion. That chat was NEVER silent and rarely informative to say the least. They can come up with radios. Preferably anything that has map-wide range would be stationary. Like one radio per city and some perhaps in the villages. And walkie talkies for closer range. Otherwise current voice in close quarters is enough.

If people still shoot each other at least now when they die, they are without weapons, so there is a consequence to it. That is good, not bad. The game is about survival, not about shooting other people. Weaponless players get killed by idiot CoD kiddos & asses. Just like anyone else. But now if they die, they get some boring time looking for a new gun. Which is good, discourages them & lets them go back to TF2 or their preferred brand of mindless shooter with instant killing gratification. (I play such games myself, btw, but not for the same experience I want in Day Z. They are much better at what they deliver in that respect & Day Z is much better at what I expect from Day Z.)

There need to be more coop features that make long-term survival worthwhile. Also, there need to be more options to play this game as a survival game. Since most of my posts were culled meanwhile as it seems, I do not want to repost all the changes I proposed to make this a worthwhile experience for different playstyles.

My opinion only:

I do not want side chat back.

So you'd play on hardcore servers with SC off. Me on regular. Problem solved

The zombie aggro and "senses" are fine, I mean they are supernatural undead beings, even that superfast movement they do "fits" with the context of the game / world.

The "worst" thing about the game so far is the players themselves. The majority are simply slaughtering noobs.

That's the hard thing to handle, as the PvP aspect is a large part of what makes the game so tense, but at the same time it also makes starting out horrific.

I would strongly suggest starting players with melee weapon of some description. As clearly if you where in that situation you would have something, even if you just had a big fkn rock or snapped off a pointy stick or something, you certainly would not be going about with nothing at all.

MY THOUGHTS on 1.7.1.5:

I think this:

1.Zombies should be made wayyy slower

2.Guns should actually be made more rare, due to the difficulty decrease caused by point 1

3. Some smart guy has to figure out a great deterrent so people less often kill each other,

Maybe something as easy as a food/drink consumption need after a player kill.. Idk

The zombie aggro and "senses" are fine' date=' I mean they are supernatural undead beings.

[/quote']

Sorry to be a pendant but they aren't.

They are living humans driven crazy due to prions forming in the brain. In DayZ they are 28 days later style infected not undead.

OP. You have come over very aggressive in your defense in this thread. Discussions all good but hurling abuse at people when they disagree with you basically makes your point null and void. If someones being a dick don't just be a bigger dick back, you may be making valid points but to be honest i can't be bothered to go through your outbursts to read them.

the main problem is the playerbase loves pissing each other off and dayz seems to be the best mod for it currently available.

oh, I guess I should have read a bit more about the context of the mod :)

I had assumed they where the "undead" type zombie and of course had supernatural abilities etc.

In the case of "infected" humans, then yeah, they are a little bit over the top in that context.

I have to say that I do like the way they move, it looks very scary especially when it's a little dark.

So far I haven't had that much trouble with them, I do my best to avoid them, the most difficult thing in this game is avoiding the players.

Last night there were two players camped together just above the beach near Cher**** (some russian name I can't think of off the top of my head) . Picking off people as they spawned.

That kind of playing is just so lame, and fairly frustrating. On the beach there is little cover and having nothing at all you can fight back with makes things that much worse. Basically you have to spawn and full sprint to the nearest treeline and hope they don't pick you off on the way or keep following you till they get you.

There needs to be some kind of downside to just killing people.

now we're getting somewhere! good ideas, guys

also:

Never: if i do come across as abrasive in the defense of my arguments, it is because people who diminish any criticism of this game to "YOU ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH" or "U JUST WANT AN EASY GAME GO BACK TO COD LOL" is to me, perjorative and immature. so i just fire back even more bullshit drivel than their response to my argument is. i fully accept your criticism of my methods, but i guess this is just the atmosphere of the DayZ community. Some people want more out of Rocket and his team ( and obviously they CAN deliver, i mean it's an awesome mod, right?) and others are just sycophantic jackasses who worship anythng the Dev team does. So if someone is gonna disrespect my opinion outright on the internet, then i'll throw out some graphic insult and maybe start a flame war. It's the inernet, bro. alot of these kids are just like middle schoolers who dont understand a what a logical argument is anyway, so u just gotta sink to their level.

it's all good tho.

To that saying that is in alpha let me go over something. When you update, you don't add things that are based off something else in the update. E.G, Updating Zombie A.I with no test and making it so you spawn weaponless ASSUMING the A.I works correctly which is doesn't. You update features, then when it works you build on it. Not add stuff assuming older/stuff being added with it work, it breaks the game. We saw in 1.7.1.4 when we spawned with no weapons and the Zombie A.I was broken where they could hear you from any distance except while crawling. It made the game unplayable to new spawners.