kumiiyo

My fears regarding the future of DayZ

with the new update, there have been several evolutions of the game, namely harder (read: laughably ridiculous) zombies and ALOT more player killing. In this thread I will attempt to address these issues and what they mean for the future of this game.

MY THOUGHTS on 1.7.1.5:

ZOMBIES:

-zombie aggro is still too ridiculous, they see you even when CRAWLING. not fun.

-zombie LOS? LOL.

-zombies spawn ON TOP of you. (still not better from 1.7.1.4)

I must say, losing the zombies is a great addition, but because of their "spidey senses" there's little point to sneaking, even after 1714. Increasingly i am seeing people sprinting around the map recklessly looking for loot. This has also increased server hopping because since sneaking is exponentially harder; the best way to get somewhere is to sprint there and run into a bldg and log out and back in. Of course this was around before, but now i see it happening A LOT. Now there isn't any point in shooting your way out of a bldg that zeds are invading because millions of them spawn in right there and go after you. you WILL NOT SURVIVE THIS [inb4 HURR DURR BE MORE L337 U NOOB WHY U HAVE DUM TACTIC]

GUNS:

-finding a few more guns than 1.7.1.4, but not nearly enough.

-while I don't mind spawning weaponless, the flashlight needs to light up the scene a little more and we need morphine (or two)

-lack of guns and loot encourages server hopping. go on /v/ and see the main advice for noobs- "go in a cafe. server hop til gun."

- player killing is out of control. I blame this on two things: the elimination of side chat and spawning weaponless.

The player killing is my main issue with the game right now. Many have described as a "slow moving COD"

Here's why I believe the player killing went apeshit:

-weaponless players can't be trusted becasue if the get a weapon they will kill you for yours, so people just kill them. in 1.7 when EVERYONE had a gun, if you met somebody and nobody killed each other, a partnership was formed. now that balance is broken and the result is chaos.

-players with gear who come to cherno to shoot freshstarters now have open season. even if u have the advantage on some asshole like that, u can't sneak up and makaroni him. u gotta spend 40 mins finding a gun while the asshole gets 10 more player kills.

SIDE CHAT:

-the side chat issue is also to blame because nobody can communicate across a map. players want to interact with each other, whether it be negative or positive. so if i'm on a roof and i see a guy running, on side chat i would say, "guy running in field, are you frinedly?" [NOTE- the direct com range is too short to communicate with anyone farther than like 20 meters so dont tell me that you could just call out to them] and if the guy responded maybe we'd team up. if he didn't he'd get shot. now with no side chat, he just gets shot because if you let him get close and he doesn't turn out to be cool you're dead anyway.

NOTE- people have criticized this point by saying that if u call out to people on direct com that they'll be friendly. since it only works to like 10 m, it does nothing for those of us who are holed up somewhere trying to shout advice to a runner down below. We used to be able to shout out on the side channel: "hey man! we're up here run to your left!" now he can't hear us so... we might as well shoot him.

i really enjoyed what dayz was before the recent changes, and it's sad to see that sense of teamwork and social experimentation slipping away. I thought this game was revolutionary at one time, but since these changes, i have had to retract my reccomendation to several of my friends.

before 1.7.1.x, the balance between those who want teamwork and those who like banditry wasn't too bad, but now it's more like like a free for all deathmatch.

also: A NOTE ON NOOBS- This game is getting increasingly unfriendly to noobs, which is troubling to me because noobs are what make any game what it is. If ROCKET is sincerely talking about a social experiment that this game could be, it is the noobs who will make this a reality. they are the ones who come in here doe eyed expecting to be immersed in the zombie reality. they are the ones yelling "anyone in cherno" at first, but then growing wiser as they meet other players and hone their skill and finally head northward. if you reject the noobs, or make a game where it's a turkey shoot on anyone inexperienced and disoriented, then it loses its purity. it becoemes like COD where the "l337 proz" memorize the maps and exploit them for playerkilling until it isn't fun anymore.

i really love this game, and i think it has the potential to be looked back upon in the future as something that changed the face of video games. with the wrong step, it could also make itself so serious and PRETENTIOUS that it fades back into obscurity only to be known to a few super cereal gamerz.

That was feedback from what I skimmed.

This section is for suggestions' date=' not feedback.

1star for you.

[/quote']

This and..

it's an alpha patch, what do you expect dude?

WHOOOOPS

i respect your opinion, man, but NO SHIT IT'S ALPHA. why else would i spend time writing about the pros and cons of all this shit im discussing and what makes the game better? Im trying to HELP here, bronanny.

Okay. I'll bite.

1. It's not hard if you know what your doing. Zombies do NOT aggro easily. The shift key is your friend, love it and use it. LEARN PATIENCE.

2. Not enough weapons? Deer Stands and looking around, every new character i start has a primary within an hour of starting. I relish the moments where I have to crawl through a town, and avoid zombies at all costs until I get my trusty hatchet.

3. Player Killing is not entirely due to mistrust: High level play with high powered weapons is boring right now, thats why its leading people to Player Kill. This will be fixed in subsequent releases as Co-op and Team Building as stated in an interview with Rocket is the teams priority next to bug fixes and tweaking.

4. The only useful suggestion I gleamed from this entire post is: Direct Communication should have a farther range, especially direct voice comms, you should be able to yell over to a player across the way. I am now going to go suggest that in a thread that isnt whining about how hard the game is.

Zombies braking legs is ridiculous, brakes the gameplay and is not realistic. Dont give us morphine, reduce the chance braking legs from zombies attack significantly. Same goes with bleeding.

Melee weapons have no use right now. Bleeding and broken legs from every zombie. Can kill 1-2 and then die

Zombies braking legs is ridiculous' date=' brakes the gameplay and is not realistic. Dont give us morphine, reduce the chance braking legs from zombies attack significantly. Same goes with bleeding.

Melee weapons have no use right now. Bleeding and broken legs from every zombie. Can kill 1-2 and then die

[/quote']

i actually like the melee weapons, but yeah the leg breaking is pretty bad. bleeding i found to be about the same.

The only time I have ever let someone live in this game was when i saw them spawn on the coast near me (without a gun) and I only had enough bullets to shoot a few times, so I wanted to save my ammo to look for bandits. If anything, this shows not spawning with a weapon reduces PVP :P

Zombies braking legs is ridiculous' date=' brakes the gameplay and is not realistic.

[/quote']

LOL wut?

They are infected humans, I could break your leg pretty easily in reality.

Should just start the player with one morphene. As funny as it is to come across broken legged players and club them to death.

1. I've never been jumped by zombies even when prone.

2. Did I say I used maps? Did I say I meta-gamed.

3. You are whining and your being disrespectful of anyone who disagrees with you.

4. Thank you :D

UR METAWHINING BRA!

FOR THOSE IN LESS THAN 20TH GRADE THAT MEANZ WHINING ABOUT WHINING U KNOW LIKE A DAVID LYNCH FILM EXCEPT MORE NERDY

also, don't insult my critique by diminishing it as 'whining.' i believe i have some very sturdy points here and none of it was said in a crying font. dont be surprised if someone turns hostile when u go "LOL WHINER thIZ game iz purfict!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

4. The only useful suggestion I gleamed from this entire post is: Direct Communication should have a farther range' date=' especially direct voice comms, you should be able to yell over to a player across the way. I am now going to go suggest that in a thread that isnt whining about how hard the game is.

[/quote']

Direct comm already has much too great a range. you can't have a private conversion, everything you say is broadcast 40m even through buildings. As it is using Direct comms in an unfriendly location is waving an "we're here come get us" sign... increase the range and you magnify the problem.

1. no shit shift key hurr. i said LYING DOWN they still jump u.

you know lying on the ground doesn't make you invisible... why would you expect that?

Also all you have to do is be careful and patient. Zombies don't run unless they've seen you, so there is zero excuse for letting them get close enough to you to see you whilst you're crawling, especially as you can hear them moaning pretty easily even if you cant see them.

CONTINUITY- how about the ones that spawn in buildings right infront of you? hmmmmmm? dont try to excuse wack aspects of the game just because the devs made it that way.

ALSO this is not to say this isn't an innovative and awesome game, what we're trying to do here is help improve it with player feedback, so everyone lay off the ITZ AWESOME U JUST SUCK schtick.

CONTINUITY- how about the ones that spawn in buildings right infront of you? hmmmmmm? dont try to excuse wack aspects of the game just because the devs made it that way.

I didn't say there aren't bugs in this ALPHA build, but even then, if you approach the building slowly enough you will see/hear the zombie before you're in his sight range (in my experience).

So, bugs withstanding, patience and due care are the simple and effective solution to getting around zombies.

CONTINUITY- I totally respect that perspective on zombie behavior, but i think a lot of the frustration coming form the community stems from the fact that the bugs and such like zombie clipping and spawning and instaknockdown-ing are so frustrating that at least I feel that they should have been fixed before making the zombies ALOT more difficult. that way a balance can be achieved without having to factor in all these insane variables that they just added all at once.

like all at once zombies can now:

-only see in their LOS

-see further

-hear further

-lose track of a target

-search for a target

-spawn way more often

-spawn close to the player

-spawn in bldgs

-run in bldgs

-etc???

all i'm saying is that maybe they should slow down the changes in order to achieve a better balance.

In my opinion, you kumiiyo want an easier game without any challenges, whats the problem of being chased by Zeds when you walk like a retarded/horse?, I've seen a lot of complaints about "Zeds vision/hearing is ridiculous", no its not, Zeds arent supposed to be deaf or even blind, this isn't Call of Duty for you run without any care, no, this is a survival game and needs patience, even on 1.7.1.4 I've only got chased by zeds when I was running like a horse in Cherno, I used to prone a lot. So stop whining, the game is well balanced now, the only thing I'm kind of complaining is the Breaking Leg and Bleeding chance that the Zeds has, is kind of High, every hit is a bleed (90%), I believe only if they had big ass claws they would let you bleed like the way we are currently bleeding, and break your bones only if they had a hammer on their hand, so yeah, despite that, Have nothing to complain.

minxing says "this isn't Call of Duty for you run without any care," so he obviously doesn't realize that this is exactly what the new zombie behavior causes. everyone i have played with or seen moving about is doing one of these things:

-crawling obscene distances, (ok i can manage that when a zed doesnt randomly see me from 10m away anyway)

-fullsprinting and then ducking into a bldg to easily lose them

-fullsprinting and getting shot

-fullsprinting while getting shot at and chased by zombies.

sooooo idk what ur talking about when u say u can't run everywhere like COD. clearly this is the new primo tactic.

Zombies aggroing easily? I actually just sneaked into a heli crash site and swapped my Winchester into a Bison SD.

Not a single zombie aggroed, they all just were walking the other way when I decided to sneak in. After they started wandering back, I just went prone, got the weapon and left by crawling to the other side of the heli. Easy.

There was a plenty of zombies around and it was swarming with zombies when I left.

I agree with you about zombies. I agrro'd while prone in a cafe somehow while making 1 bar of noise. The zombie that aggro'd was in the street, probably 30+ feet away. The funny thing was, I shot my M1911 and no other zombie aggro'd. In addition to their uncanny ability to see/hear through walls, the new damage they put out is just downright stupid. Bleeding from every third hit or so and broken legs occurring WAY too much leave me scratching my head. Also, they seem to respawn insanely fast now. That might just be me though, not sure.

I know how it is today kumiiyo, in 1.7.1.5 is more balanced, in 1.7.1.4 it was kind of unbalanced but playable, I aggro zeds when I'm running like a retard as I said, I knew crouching wasn't helping anymore, so I switched to prone, you need to learn a thing called : Patience

Since today me and my friends (4 others) just stopped playing today because with this version it was just TOO ridiculous to survive. Fine by me the game is as hard as can be, but it's just NO FUN when you're lying down in the field, and a zombie gets triggered from maybe half the field away. It's just glitchy and need to be fixed to bring the fun back.

OMG the OP sums up my thoughts exactly the way I feel it !

The mod is broken atm. Case closed.

- Broken legs from 1 hit from a zombie ? No thx

- Bleeding till you die from 1 hit by a zombie? No thx

- Almost no weapon spawn? No thx

- Everyone killing each other because the loot is to scarce ? No thx

- Zombies aggro from miles away? No thx

It goes on and on

with the new update' date=' there have been several evolutions of the game, namely harder (read: laughably ridiculous) zombies and ALOT more player killing. In this thread I will attempt to address these issues and what they mean for the future of this game.

MY THOUGHTS on 1.7.1.5:

ZOMBIES:

-zombie aggro is still too ridiculous, they see you even when CRAWLING. not fun.

-zombie LOS? LOL.

-zombies spawn ON TOP of you. (still not better from 1.7.1.4)

I must say, losing the zombies is a great addition, but because of their "spidey senses" there's little point to sneaking, even after 1714. Increasingly i am seeing people sprinting around the map recklessly looking for loot. This has also increased server hopping because since sneaking is exponentially harder; the best way to get somewhere is to sprint there and run into a bldg and log out and back in. Of course this was around before, but now i see it happening A LOT. Now there isn't any point in shooting your way out of a bldg that zeds are invading because millions of them spawn in right there and go after you. you WILL NOT SURVIVE THIS [inb4 HURR DURR BE MORE L337 U NOOB WHY U HAVE DUM TACTIC']

GUNS:

-finding a few more guns than 1.7.1.4, but not nearly enough.

-while I don't mind spawning weaponless, the flashlight needs to light up the scene a little more and we need morphine (or two)

-lack of guns and loot encourages server hopping. go on /v/ and see the main advice for noobs- "go in a cafe. server hop til gun."

- player killing is out of control. I blame this on two things: the elimination of side chat and spawning weaponless.

The player killing is my main issue with the game right now. Many have described as a "slow moving COD"

Here's why I believe the player killing went apeshit:

-weaponless players can't be trusted becasue if the get a weapon they will kill you for yours, so people just kill them. in 1.7 when EVERYONE had a gun, if you met somebody and nobody killed each other, a partnership was formed. now that balance is broken and the result is chaos.

-players with gear who come to cherno to shoot freshstarters now have open season. even if u have the advantage on some asshole like that, u can't sneak up and makaroni him. u gotta spend 40 mins finding a gun while the asshole gets 10 more player kills.

SIDE CHAT:

-the side chat issue is also to blame because nobody can communicate across a map. players want to interact with each other, whether it be negative or positive. so if i'm on a roof and i see a guy running, on side chat i would say, "guy running in field, are you frinedly?" [NOTE- the direct com range is too short to communicate with anyone farther than like 20 meters so dont tell me that you could just call out to them] and if the guy responded maybe we'd team up. if he didn't he'd get shot. now with no side chat, he just gets shot because if you let him get close and he doesn't turn out to be cool you're dead anyway.

NOTE- people have criticized this point by saying that if u call out to people on direct com that they'll be friendly. since it only works to like 10 m, it does nothing for those of us who are holed up somewhere trying to shout advice to a runner down below. We used to be able to shout out on the side channel: "hey man! we're up here run to your left!" now he can't hear us so... we might as well shoot him.

i really enjoyed what dayz was before the recent changes, and it's sad to see that sense of teamwork and social experimentation slipping away. I thought this game was revolutionary at one time, but since these changes, i have had to retract my reccomendation to several of my friends.

before 1.7.1.x, the balance between those who want teamwork and those who like banditry wasn't too bad, but now it's more like like a free for all deathmatch.

also: A NOTE ON NOOBS- This game is getting increasingly unfriendly to noobs, which is troubling to me because noobs are what make any game what it is. If ROCKET is sincerely talking about a social experiment that this game could be, it is the noobs who will make this a reality. they are the ones who come in here doe eyed expecting to be immersed in the zombie reality. they are the ones yelling "anyone in cherno" at first, but then growing wiser as they meet other players and hone their skill and finally head northward. if you reject the noobs, or make a game where it's a turkey shoot on anyone inexperienced and disoriented, then it loses its purity. it becoemes like COD where the "l337 proz" memorize the maps and exploit them for playerkilling until it isn't fun anymore.

i really love this game, and i think it has the potential to be looked back upon in the future as something that changed the face of video games. with the wrong step, it could also make itself so serious and PRETENTIOUS that it fades back into obscurity only to be known to a few super cereal gamerz.

Negated several of your points.