Sign in to follow this  
wgaf

Food in DayZ Too Easy To Get

It has struck me that food is far too plentiful in DayZ. 

Have you starved to death since maybe the very first time you played DayZ? 

Starvation should be a serious issue. 

Starving people killing one another for food should be a very common occurrence. 

You should start out malnourished, it should take a long time to work back up to 'healthy.'

Having a healthy character should be something people need to survive a long time to get. 

• Like 3

I agree. Not to scream alpha, but I think they want you to survive easier in alpha so you can get out and test what little they have implemented. I completely agree though lol only time I starved to death was day 1 and boy was it hilarious.

• Like 1

Finding it's not the hard part. It's managing your inventory with how much you need vs space for how much other goodies you want. Head to an airfield, see how long you can keep other people, who are there starving just to camp gear, from taking it from you ;)

• Like 1

According to our research, the only way to cure sickness is to drink alcohol tincture. 

• Like 1

I agree. But, if you're doing it right your food is in your tummy. So killing you gives them nothing but blood on their hands.

well... until cannibalism.

• Like 1

According to our research, the only way to cure sickness is to drink alcohol tincture.

I've actually just survived being sick. I accidently clicked to eat a rotten kiwi while taking fire and zombie hate after dropping my axe. Was a hectic moment, don't ask. I somehow picked up the kiwi.

Anywho, I had no cure of any kind, I just kept drinking water, and eating tuna while crouched in a copse of trees. When not eating due to stuffed, I sat down with f3. When I moved, I lost all color and went through all the stages of dizzy, faint, etc. finally, after a couple in game hours, I broke it, and am now sill going strong. Sadly, my healthy status has yet to return, but it'll come eventually.

Can't test a game if you're dying from starvation every newspawn.  It'll get adjusted.

I agree. But, if you're doing it right your food is in your tummy. So killing you gives them nothing but blood on their hands.

well... until cannibalism.

Like there isn't enough of that already!! LOL  ;)

food, as all loot, is obscenely overabundant, most probably so we can test item interaction at an increased rate. real balancing of loot amounts will probably not come before beta 

Edited by e47

I think the thread brings up a good point about starting the player in a worse state and slowly getting better. I've thought a lot about this lately and I think it's the right way to go for early game players to value every second they've been alive.

Currently, you start with minimal food/water and you're pretty much instantly hungry and thirsty after spawn. While this is good for getting people to quickly find a water source and some food to survive on. It's not good because after you spawn, you're slowly going downhill. If you don't find food & water in your first 10minutes, it's arguably the better option to suicide and start fresh with less hunger & thirst.

I think a system where you spawn with "injuries" but you also have almost enough food & water to start regenerating your health would be better. For example, if it takes 3500 energy and 3500 water to start regenerating your blood and eventually your health, then start the player with 3600 energy and 3000 water. That way a player who quickly locates a source of water can start healing up shortly after spawning. Of course you will lose energy while moving to find water, so it would need to be balanced to let people heal up soon after spawning, but not so easy that they can heal completely. That should still require finding more food & water.

With a system where some healing is possible right after spawn. Players who have only been alive for 5minutes would still feel like they accomplished something and would put more value in their character, even if that character had nothing in terms of actual gear. Getting shot in the face would put you back to low blood/color and health. This system would also put new spawns in a more vulnerable state until they can get a hold of their situation.

To achieve the full "healthy" state should still take a lot of time and effort.

That would certainly add some depth to the newspawn immersion experience.  But it would be wise from a game design standpoint to make sure that the majority of newspawns have a fair shake at making it.  Broken legs would just be an insta suicide spawn without semi ample splinting material.  Plus there is the clan play aspect where people who get fragged want to haul ass back to where their buddies are.

Beyond loot adjustments, I think the addition of water borne illness in ground water will further make the n00b newspawn experience tougher since those big ole drinky sinks will be essentially rotten kiwis until you find a medpack to treat your water.  Assuming of course that once cooking is introduced it'll be even potentially harder to scrounge all those parts together to boil water. 

That would certainly add some depth to the newspawn immersion experience.  But it would be wise from a game design standpoint to make sure that the majority of newspawns have a fair shake at making it.  Broken legs would just be an insta suicide spawn without semi ample splinting material.  Plus there is the clan play aspect where people who get fragged want to haul ass back to where their buddies are.

Beyond loot adjustments, I think the addition of water borne illness in ground water will further make the n00b newspawn experience tougher since those big ole drinky sinks will be essentially rotten kiwis until you find a medpack to treat your water.  Assuming of course that once cooking is introduced it'll be even potentially harder to scrounge all those parts together to boil water. 

water pumps will more than likely be clean water and safe to drink considering it is well or spring water.  That kind of water source is naturally purified and cleansed by the earth.  But the water that will be needed purified will be the water you collect from rivers, streams, ponds, swamps, ect.  

And also this is not some casual, noob friendly kinda game.  The tougher the better.  If the game gets dumbed down and easier gameplay im sure DayZ will lose most of its main player base.  We likr dayZ because its not mainstream casual easy gameplay.  Its brutal, harsh, and unforgiving.

I sincerely hope they let you put poison in wells. 

I have died from starving more then anything so far.  I ran around the other night with a pack full of food but no way to open it to eat it.....

Dunno - sometimes i find no food at all. Like yesterday i found 5 mosins but no ammo for 3 hours and almost no water. Good thing we have wells. 

I've died of starvation several times when I was new to the game.

Maybe its just Aussies being pricks, but if you go on any "full" server 30-40/40 and run through EVERY building in kamenka, komorovo and cherno there will be NOT A SINGLE TIN OF BEANS except maybe hidden in the corner that nobody saw.

Food is too easy to find atm because you "can" server hop loot 3 buildings and have enough to live on for ages. It's not abundant when there's going to be 100 people servers and everyone loots the same buildings.

Took me max 10 minutes to gather up the food to reach healthy.

In fact, the current spawns are probably set to the time when the game was released. Every server was looted empty.

Can't wait till the Medical Division falls into anarchy, as starving members begin experimenting with the best ways to cook their co-worker's lower intestine.

Edited by Hells High

Can't wait till the Medical Division falls into anarchy, as starving members begin experimenting with the best ways to cook their co-worker's lower intestine.

That would never happen.  We have far too many "volunteers" that wish to take part in our cannibalism trials.

If we were to successfully exterminate every single target, we would exterminate one another so that the extermination would be complete.