Sign in to follow this  
CaptGentry

Not painting grass and weeds for scopes or binoculars is LAME...

That has got to be my only problem with this game. Well, with all shooter games. It seems that when zooming in somehwere it is always easier to see someone in the grass or bushed than if you were standing near them.

Using a can opener and cool looking helmets is neat and all but man I wish the Developers would make grass show up in a scope.

And if they did you'd be back complaining how your framerate has nosedived. It would mean rendering grass for up to a km radius from you, sapping your performance and probably making the game unplayable, even before you bring up the scope. Maybe in 5 - 10 years, and that's optimistic.

"It would mean rendering grass for up to a km radius from you"

No.. it wouldn't. But thanks.

And if they did you'd be back complaining how your framerate has nosedived. It would mean rendering grass for up to a km radius from you, sapping your performance and probably making the game unplayable, even before you bring up the scope. Maybe in 5 - 10 years, and that's optimistic.

Then let him.

Force people to upgrade their hardware.

Why should we all suffer just because some people play on a potato.

Edited by gibonez
  • Like 1

Well then, how exactly would you do it while maintaining good performance?

I suggested something similar, where the grass renders on what you are aiming down sights at, however, I don't know if this is possible.

Otherwise, your FPS will tank, and it will be pointless and stupid.

• Like 2

Why not just use the same way Arma3 does and have people laying prone blend into the ground so that even though the scoped in player doesn't see the grass, they still might have trouble spotting a player. The server would just have to add a variable as to whether or not the player should be camouflaged.

I wouldn't mind giving servers the ability to enforce certain graphic configurations to level the playing ground for everyone playing on the server.

An 'ulta settings' server will have grass draw over extreme distances etc, people who don't have the hardware to play on such servers won't.

Why not just use the same way Arma3 does and have people laying prone blend into the ground so that even though the scoped in player doesn't see the grass, they still might have trouble spotting a player. The server would just have to add a variable as to whether or not the player should be camouflaged.

That's also how it works in ARMA2 and in the DayZ mod, it's a bit annoying sometimes as you actually have to aim 20cm above a submerged enemy to hit them, it's not ideal solution and Rocket was discussing this issue in one of the pre-release streams, apparently they're considering using this option but are still trying to come up with better solutions.

• Like 1

Yes, it would. In fact, it would actually mean rendering grass up to as much as 2.5 km, which I think is the current view distance setting. This would drive most people's computers into the ground.

The other already seen solution, as previously mentioned, is to bring back the ARMA2/3 way simulating concealment at a distance, which is basically to raise the terrain about a foot. Not perfect, but better than nothing.

Novel solutions?:

Maybe render player models semi-transparent at a distance when they are in a grassy area?

Better mid to high range terrain textures with more noise and color variance? This may notwork at all graphics settings though.

Probably the best one I've seen is this: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?148861-Rendering-grass-at-long-distances-My-thoughts-about-it

Wherein player models at a distance in grass have a low res grass texture painted over them that makes that part of the player transparent.

You'd go from this:

wjyay4ch.jpg

To This:

iyqh868j.jpg

Edited by fig0451

Yes, it would. In fact, it would actually mean rendering grass up to as much as 2.5 km, which I think is the current view distance setting. This would drive most people's computers into the ground.

The other already seen solution, as previously mentioned, is to bring back the ARMA2/3 way simulating concealment at a distance, which is basically to raise the terrain about a foot. Not perfect, but better than nothing.

Novel solutions?:

Maybe render player models semi-transparent at a distance when they are in a grassy area?

Better mid to high range terrain textures with more noise and color variance? This may notwork at all graphics settings though.

Probably the best one I've seen is this: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?148861-Rendering-grass-at-long-distances-My-thoughts-about-it

Wherein player models at a distance in grass have a low res grass texture painted over them that makes that part of the player transparent.

You'd go from this:

wjyay4ch.jpg

To This:

iyqh868j.jpg

It actually might be possible with a combination of occlusion culling and the illusion of depth. (render single patch of grass once and keep using the same memory space over and over again into the distance.)

aka  instancing (http://http.developer.nvidia.com/GPUGems2/gpugems2_chapter03.html)

Edited by defk0n_NL
  • Like 1

It actually might be possible with a combination of occlusion culling and the illusion of depth. (render single patch of grass once and keep using the same memory space over and over again into the distance.)

aka  instancing (http://http.developer.nvidia.com/GPUGems2/gpugems2_chapter03.html)

That could work, but I believe the solution this guy outlined on the ARMA3 forums would be far easier to implement.

If you've ever experimented with .cfg files in A2 and changing grass density or draw distances,  you'd know it's not possible with current hardware - ANY current hardware. Upgrading won't enable it. Just pushing full grass out to 100m brings my computer to a crawl.

I have championed the above technique a lot. It shouldn't be hard to implement, and it'd add a lot to stealth.

Oh my god.. Yes.. Yes... If you increase the draw distance the FPS goes down..

I'm sure there are a few other ways of having a player not poke out like a sore thumb at 1km distance.

I think this is quite a major issue 2bh.

What exactly is the point of vegetation and camouflage if long range scopes have you stand out so easily to snipers that camp hills constantly. All I see with this is rather than being a moving target, you hit the dirt and suddenly become a duck in a barrel.

I think if your prone in grass, some sort of player transparency vs distance mask over the player should come into effect. This would be a lot easier to script than vegetation draw distances.

Another slightly more complex idea would be player transparency vs distance vs height. So that if a player is crouched rather than being fully prone, then half the players body would be masked by transparency.

Its not a perfect method but it would at least make it harder to be spotted.

In this day and age things like this shouldn't even be an issue....games released in 2004 (for example - Joint Operations: Typhoon Rising) had this perfect when sniping so why cant it be done???

Edited by TheWeedMan
  • Like 1