Sign in to follow this  
Karmaterror

Fit to Fight, to stop overuse of firearms, maybe helping Kos

Simple answer will be once we get hit with a decent amount of zombies and a decent zombie AI. Couple that with low ammo reserves and you have a solution.

Fire a gun and you attract the horde, maybe more and more respawning in the treeline and coming down to investigate for every shot fired - make it too many and too difficult to melee and loop around by sprinting and see how many people hang around Balota firing off Mosins and unsuppressed M4's

Does your shoulder really start to hurt if you've shot a lot?

I recently saw a tribute video to Mr. Kalashnikov of a man firing around 700 shot's from an AK. He didn't show any signs of pain.

Not really... if firing low recoil weapons. Firing the M4/pistols all day long would really have no effect as far as I'm concerned.

I used to shoot trap/skeet though with a 12 gauge and on tournament days where we'd be shooting for like half the day, you do really start to feel it after like 100 rounds or so and if we were to continue shooting for a period after that I could easily see my shoulder really starting to hurt. But I mean...100 rounds from a 12g is a lot, and even at that point I'd say its more discomfort than pain. It'd take a serious amount of additional rounds I think before I'd get to the pain point.

Edited by Radio Friendly

The barrel is much more likely to foul and the weapon jam before you "break" your shoulder. Weapon jamming and maintenance based on item condition would be a much better way of implementing the ideas your talking about. 

Assuming excessive gun use is a problem I think the best way to handle it is to once again just make zombies a bigger threat. We'll see how it plays out when there are 5x~ more zombies, but I honestly think that if you're firing your M4 in a city with no suppressor you should be swarmed plain and simple.

That will at least curb city deathmatch a bit, I think.

• Like 1

Since the character's in game know how to fully operate any weapon in game, what type of ammo is needed, reloading, bolt operation, using every different sight properly, swapping out or adding modifications, etc., we can probably assume they know how to handle a weapon without fear of hurting them self with it. The will to survive will trump aches and minor pains, but not starvation, dehydration, serious injury or illness. The game already covers these. Increased zombie threat due to noise is a great idea.

An M4 barely has any kick... an M249 SAW is weak as well, the M240B is meh... I have shot hundreds of rounds through all of these at ranges I have been too and never had any pain from doing so... Maybe if you have like a 300 win mag then maybe... Or 12guage pump... But for an M4 or just abouth anything in the 7.62 family it seems a bit drastic.

Iv kinda given up on the shoulder thing, seems that's just because I was a noob with the gun lol. But I would still push for forearm pain. Another situatin I felt.....not pain...but discomfort that did effect my aim, was at paintballing. Not to mention leg pain from crouching all the time lol....but that's for a different thread. My re-think was something like this....

Having your weapon raised all the time would bring messages like...

"My arms feel tired"

"My arms burn"

"My arms are exhausted"

With the same values as before.

That way its not based on firing the gun, but keeping it raised :)

Edited by Karmaterror

I have shot many of guns and for many of hours before. I have never hurt for a long period of time lol. Now depending on the gun you could feel a little sting afterwards but nothing that effects you from still operating the firearm effectively. When in a firefight you hardly notice anything with all the adrenaline going through your body.  If this was added it would just be annoying.

In a realistic sense, this suggestion should only work with high caliber ammunition. I can shoot a .357 all day and not have a problem. If I try and shoot my .44 magnum for prolonged periods of time without gloves... that is an entirely different story. I don't currently own any high caliber rifles and haven't shot any for extended periods. I do however own an M14 which can be shot all day long only injuring my wallet, not my shoulder.

This would also make gloves somewhat important when using firearms. It makes a huge difference as far as pistol shooting is concerned when gloves are worn while shooting higher calibers.

Edited by MystoganXIX

What about adding a GUN CLEANING KIT into the game??

After prolonged use you get status messages telling you to maybe clean your gun or have a serious risk of weapon malfunctions e.g. Jamming, hang fires etc.

I feel like weapon maintenance has a place in this game. It's adds another layer.

This game is built around choices so the should be consequences to everything. ( Not humanity systems. But things like a robust health system and maintenance for your gear/loot) 

But there also has to be a way of making your character/avatar more valuable! Otherwise these systems have no purpose if no-one lives long enough to use them. (it's easier to die and start again than maintaining your avatar)