Sign in to follow this  
paulusrojo

The noob stories

So I just stumbled across this game a while ago. Never heard of the mod nor the "game" WarZ. But I read a little bit about it, and 20$ or whatever isn't really a big deal for me, so I decided to try it.

I wasn't that frightened by the Alpha stamp, as I played both Minecraft and Mount & Blade very early in the development (and they turned out great)!

The first 10 times I started a character was hard. Zombies, no supplies, not having a clue about anything really (spawnpoints, good loot points). Basically I knew nothing. Wanting a bit of a challenge, I'd rather learn it myself, than go on youtube and watch a bunch of tutorials. So I guess you can say it was hard to survive in the beginning. But it was fun. Great fun.

Little by little I learned how to survive for longer and longer, and I will now share with you some of my "best" stories.

My first gun

So i spawn on the SE coast. This was like the 5th or 6th time I've spawned so I had really no idea what to do. I head inland, searching for those fabled airfields. The first house I find has like a barn or something, and behold; a well. It took me like 5 minutes to figure out how to drink from it, and i only took like 3 swigs (not knowing that you should drink like 20 times). I keep going inland, and find a Mosin in a shed (I've never found anything useful in a shed since that). Great, a gun. Now what? No ammo, or melee weapon. I keep going inland, and find a small village which i loot thorougly. I find some ammo! And it fits in my gun. Now I'm pretty much invulnerable, right? Wrong. I had no idea how to aim down sight (its a quick double tap on the right mouse button). And this was back when I actually didn't know you could outrun the Zombies. I thought they followed you forever, so when I encounter a couple of zombies, I'm thinking, fuck yeah! But the bullets wont hit! So I start panicking, and somehow I end up lying prone on the ground. And the gunshots attracted even more Zombies. And I still didnt have a melee weapon or the brainpower to just run away. I eventually hit one of them (you have like 5 or 6 bullets in the gun), but the rest slaughter me.

My first M4

This was a couple of days after christmas. I was back home, so I hadn't had the chance to play for like 10 days. I was pumped. On one of my now dead characters, I had found a tourist map, and could now navigate a little bit better on the east and south coast. I learned how to recognize some of the biggest towns, and knew better how to find my way around. I found some supplies and a nice fireaxe, so I wasn't that scared of the Z's, and was confident enough to check out some of the bigger buildings in Berezino. And on the top floor of a school or something I find an M4! Sweet! No ammo though. I head towards the docks in search of more loot, and enter one of those warehouse buildings with a second floor railing. I go upstairs, and BOOM! I bug through the wall, and fall down breaking my foot. Fuck. Not having the necessary supplies or knowledge (at that time I didn't even know you could use a Morphine injector to "cure" a broken bone), I despair. Luckily there is a nearby Zombie to put me out of my misery. Before he does that though, I'm smart enough to crawl inside a building, and put all my supplies on the ground. I picked one of those sheds\warehouses full of North Korean boxes (never any loot there, so less risk of some other survivor getting any of my shit). I respawn, and find myself on the southern coast. Near Elektro I think. I have to go north. And it's a long walk! Luckily I find some neat supplies pretty quick. Food, water, a fireaxe and a compass. The compass means I dont have to follow the main road, so I run into the forest like an animal. I loot a couple of small towns before I find some kind of construction site. Sweet and full of loot. At the top I find a 30 round mag 5.56. Could this fit the M4? I quickly run north to find out! After what seems about two hours of running I finally get to where I fell and broke my foot! And my loot is untouched. The mag fits the M4, and I'm now officially the most badass person on this server! By this time, I'd even learn how to properly aim! I head north through the city, and follow the coast. A magnificent sight reveals itself. A huuuge boat tore in half. This I gotta check out! I shoot some Z's along the way, and enter the wrecked ship. This thing is like a massive maze. I find some half decent loot too. Ammo, medical supplies and lots of food and drink. So I find out its time to leave, but I just wanted to check out the view from the top. So guess what happened? I slipped\bugged or whatever from the top of the ship, and fell like 30 metres into my death. And by then it was 2 in the morning, so I didnt even bother to respawn (and I'm not sure for how long the servers stays up, or how long the body can be looted).

Observations and tips

When you are low on health, you can start to regenerate. But you need to eat and drink alot. Like 6 cans of soda, and 6 units of food(maybe even more, I just ate everything I found for like 20 minutes), and then top it off with some water. Don't start with water, because then you'll get full\stuffed, but you'll still be low on energy. When you have eaten enough, your character's status will be "healing" or "healthy".

Be careful when administering Saline Bag IV. If you use a worn, damaged or badly damaged bag, you can go into a septic shock, and end up losing more blood\health than you had before the injection.

Clean your wounds with alcohol tincture, or your clean your wounds by spraying disenfectant spray on your clothes. Do not drink these items (First time I actually found a military base I mistakenly drank some spray, started vomiting and was killed by zombies. Never even had a chance to see if there was anything good in there).

• Like 5

thats interesting about saline IV as i was shot in the rucksack (survived) but now my 2 saline IV,s are in pretty poor condition i think like damaged and ruined or something?

That 'horror story feeling' is one of things that is going absolutely right for DayZ. Each time you play it feels like it's own little zombie story, I'll probably recant a few myself soon.  :)

Can somebody confirm that bad status of saline can cause damage?

Hi!

That's what happened to me anyway. I had a random stranger administer an Saline IV bag on me, and i was back to full health. Then after like 15 minutes, I got a "shocklike" twitch in my body, and my bloodlevel was worse than before. And I'm pretty sure it was because of a damaged Saline bag. Not a 100% sure though, but like 95%(I was not thirsty nor hungry, and it went from full health, to like dizzy almost black and white).

• Like 1