MattRB

Let's figure out what happened in the Day Z universe.

Alright, so I got this idea the other night while at the airfield near the South coast.

I was looking around, and it's unlike any other area of the game, really. There's a massive medical facility which I'm pretty sure isn't there in Vanilla, in many of the hangars there are TONS of body bags, more than I've seen anywhere else. The other two airfields are not like this, it does not seem like there was much if any organized resistance, there are just some dead soldiers.

I think what happened in a general sense:

• Apocalypse starts in Chernarus, I don't know how or why, but it did. The first infections must have been inland because the carnage and wreckage inland are much less than the coasts, which I assumes means things happened before any resistance could be mustered.
  • The military organizes, and sets up camp in Stary Sobor and it's surrouding area, as can be seen by the military tents. This obviously was overtaken quickly, and no explosives/etc. were used in the fight because this field hospital thing is still intact.
  • The military moves to Balona, I assume. There's a MUCH more fortified field hospital there, and the tons of body bags leave me to believe that the military finally figured out exactly what was happening, but as we can tell it was too late.

I'm pretty sure that's the general series of events that lead to the game world as it stands, if anyone else has any more info/knowledge please contribute. I'm not sure if the devs actually planned any of this out, or if they just made cool looking areas.

... Maybe what happened is just what happened in the EW campaign.

Yea I liked the EW campaign. It was fun.

Maybe infections started right after the nuclear blasts.... People started heading to the docks to evacuate the country and they were just too late.

Well that's all well and good except the amount of destruction doesn't math between the two. And after Eagle Wing you don't see any organized military whatsoever, it's chaos. The aftermath of DayZ looks a bit different.

PETA broke into a lab and freed some monkeys carrying a unidentified virus, obviously. This explains why infected humans are known to crawl around on their knuckles and make monkey noises.

We all know that the infection originated at the Feline Leukemia research center.

Day Z is the codename of Russia's new homeless relocation program, and we all play a ragtag collection of mentally ill hobos who have been transferred from Moscow to a Cold War-era ex-nuclear weapon testing site. Everything was going fine until Sergei found a Winchester and insisted the dead were rising back to life. Now everyone is afflicted by a collective delusion.

"Yes, Ivan, as a matter of fact, we just got this in a few minutes ago. Apparently the company responsible for delivering food and other supplies to the new vagrant settlements has lost contact with their drivers, ah, they say their last radio transmission, ah, that they were taking heavy fire, and, ah, that one of them tried to flee but was shot in the head, a lot of screaming going on in the background, mostly incoherent, though one word stood out: 'Beans.' Yes, Ivan, that's correct. I don't think we can even begin to speculate what that truly means. We'll have more as it develops."

Story as found in the dayz files.

ArmA 2 - DayZ mod http://DayZmod.com

DEAN HALL PRESENTS

A USECFORCE PRODUCTION

On 12 March 2013, a prion disease

and spreads among the worlds population

triggering a global pandemic

The disease causes proteins in the brain to be replaced with prions ceasing regular function

Most people they progress to dementia and then death as the brain is replaced with ineffective sludge

86% of the worlds population die

Some survive with the disease in a chronic state.

Lacking regular brain function, they are scarely human. They are unable to communicate,

driven by insatiable desire for violence, and attracted to the scent of those uninfected

Society crumbles as the pandemic spreads rapidly

You are one of the 2% who are not infected yet

THIS IS YOUR STORY

Directed by DEAN HALL

Scientific Consultan DR RICHARD HALL

Producer TRENT BLAKE

Marketing CHAD GRIFFITHS

Music DAN OBERBAUER

Animation STEPAN KMENT

Website

JOEL CHENG

JANNIK BALKAU

CHRIS CUNNINGHAM

Testers

SAM MAUNDER

MATT LIGHTFOOT

PATRICK ADAMS

Special Thanks

NORRIN

JAYNUS

One of the 2% not infected?

Anyone notice that every single survivor is a gun-freak, combat-qualified pilot, field mechanic, survival trained, medic-skilled precision marksman? REALISM. I guess, if anyone was going to survive, it would be those dudes.

One of the 2% not infected?

Anyone notice that every single survivor is a gun-freak' date=' combat-qualified pilot, field mechanic, survival trained, medic-skilled precision marksman? REALISM. I guess, if anyone was going to survive, it would be those dudes.

[/quote']

Could the survivors be "cloned" stormtroopers (think Star Wars) and that they are part of a great test to see if these troopers are suitable for cleaning up nasty situations and able to survive for long amounts of time? This Zed incident could just be a local occurrence and part of a larger (lets pretend) controlled test to see what happens.

Consider this; is there actually anything special about Chernarus? It's mostly just a few smaller villages. Even the larger towns are small. The populace could just have been sacrificed for this test. The amounts of military casulties visible on the map is quite small, a skeleton crew perhaps?

It would of course not work with the story found in the mods files but why couldn't it be regarded as what the both mentally and physically conditioned "survivors" have been told to be the truth? ;)

ARMA2 took place in autumn 2009, whereas DayZ started in march 2013 (according to story found by Guatalian).

ARMA2 has several endings, including a "bad" one which ended up in an even bigger mess (more military).

This tells me that something between 2009 and 2013 something happend which caused the virus to be released and spreaded. The fact that most military installations are inland would explain that the zombies came from the shores and moved inland. Since it takes a while before the military could move in, the virus already reached halfway before the resistance could start.

This also explains why the best loot can be found inland; people fled inland and took everything with them. The military had to fall back and were soon surrounded by infected which caused the total absense of "normal" people.

Locations as Cherno and Elektro would be perfect as ground zero for the virus, although nobody remembers how and why.

As for the survivors (the 2%); those are the people who tried to leave the mainland by sea at the early stages of the outbreak. The fact that they always start at the shore could be explained by trying to return to the mainland or ended up there after shipwrecked.

Alhtough nobody knows what happened, I really hope that (at the final release) a real prequel is provided or some ingame references to the history of Day Z.

Hell i'll give it a shot.

Forgive me if a few things seem inaccurate. :)

JAN 21 2012

Research in a Classified location somewhere in the former USSR territories begins to find a cure for a deadly virus strain similar to the Rabies virus that has been arising in in a small number of cases within South Africa.

JUN 14 2012

Apparent success in creating a vaccine. Lab tests show success, but research on a cure for currently infected individuals is suggested.

JUN 25 2012

Research on a cure for this new Rabies, Dubbed "Red VI", begins. First results look promising.

JUL 8 2012

Unexpected mutation occurs after use of the Red VI cure, "NuRed", however results are at first kept under wraps. Volunteers for use of the drug are kept in isolation.

JUL 10 2012

Accidental release of individuals infected with the mutated strain of Red VI, now dubbed "Red X" (Red Ten). Historic accuracy degrades from here; most of the involved either perished and/or became infected upon release.

JUL 27 2012

Reports of "Rioting" and other public unrest spread quickly.Governments across the globe denounce it as mere protests over the recent tensions between the U.S and the Russia-China alliance,But Rumors claim that this is something else.

AUG 3 2012

As Israel begins to shut its borders to all outsiders, Russia and China beginning a clean sweep of its surrounding territories and countries within the European Union begin reporting cases of the virus, Countries like Georgia, Kazakhstan and Ukraine begin experiencing power outages and loss of communications. It is assumed they were closest to the original research labs.

AUG 13 2012

U.S. Forces are deployed South of Chernarus for "Security" reasons as Russian and Chinese armies deal with their infection problem.

AUG 17 2012

Rate in which the virus spreads increases dramatically. Russia and China quickly lose control of their situation as quarantine fails and much of their major cities become blood baths. Countries like France and Germany begin evacuations as it becomes apparent that not only has the virus breached its boarders, but a huge hoard of infected are just outside their front doors. Everything East of Germany is estimated to be at least 80% overrun, excluding Chernarus which has kept the country from going past 20% infection with the aid of U.S. forces which had been deployed there since the start of the news of the virus going through Russia and China.

SEP 12 2012

Much of the land East of England now estimated to be 90% infected.

Communication from either Russia or China ceases, as well as all other surrounding countries, aside from the occasional civilian radios and SOS signals.

OCT 30 2012

Great Britain experiences small explosions of the infected within their borders, but eliminate them for the most part.

It is at this time that Chernarus receives a huge wave of infected from the north, killed or infecting most of those unfortunate enough to be too far north.

NOV 10 2012

Despite the spread of videos featuring many engagements between U.S. Forces in Chernarus and the infected, More Units and equipment are sent to Southern Chernarus in an attempt to retake lost group and form a front in the fight against the infection.

NOV 17 2012

Public support in the U.S. for military action in chernarus drops as more videos of gruesome engagements against the infected go viral. It becomes clear that there will be many more losses ahead if American forces continue their assault and with reports of infection in cities back at home, U.S. forces are quickly withdrawn. For a time it was rumored that due to a mass of infected swarming the coastal cities in chernarus during the withdrawal, that many U.S. soldiers where left behind.

DEC 2 2012

Though at first thought lost, radio signals are detected from Chernarus in various locations. Most are coded, while others appear to be coming from local inhabitants in hiding. There is word of the possibility of a cure somewhere north of Chernarus, were a mobile lab is said to have been once located.

DEC 31 2012

With much of the American Economy now in shambles, work becomes scarce, and the dollar...near useless. The threat of infection on the scale of Europe's' still looms are reports of outbreaks continue gradually. For the most part they are also eliminated. It is then that people look to chernarus and begin taking employment that involves entering the dangerous and highly infectious country with intent to secure refugees if alive and return them to the mainland for payment, find a possible cure, test out experimental vaccines or find their fortune in salvaging the thousands of tons of military hardware left behind during the U.S. Forces' hasty retreat.

JAN 2013

A survivor (You) manages to convince a boat captain to take him as far as the coast of Chernarus in exchange for his Revolver and ammo. The captain, Feeling pity for the survivor, Gifts him the cheaper less effective Makarov with some ammo before leaving shore, clearly terrified of the country.

Kinda lost interest half way but there ya go!

Green Mountain is a second Brain Scorcher, set up by the C-Con-

oh wait wrong game

• Like 1

The virus should be a parasite, living in the brain and causing brain damage by either eating it or starving it of oxygen but not harming the areas that control gross motor skills and instinctive behavior.

think this fits better with the way Z's act and why they're difficult to put down, not feeling pain or being scared, but still needing to feed and breath.

When i found intrest in the story behind this catastrophe i enterd Editor mode to fly around investigating locations of intrest.

Southeast there is an island called Skalisty Island. Just by the northeast tip of that island there is a wrecked ship between some big rocks.

Mabye we are random people picked together by some agency, given some equipment, shiped away to Chernarus to find out what happend.

But the ship didnt make it to the shore, and we got washed up on land without any chanse of getting out of there.