Sign in to follow this  
codeX*

48 Hours Into Standalone..

Alright, so I played the mod off and on for over a year until I just couldn't take being hacked any longer.  I'm a game developer (software engineer) for an established AAA franchise, and there are times where I wish I was working on a project like DayZ. :)  Bought the standalone as soon as I found out it was available, and I have zero regrets.  Sure, I've had characters wiped and have come across some alpha issues, but I'd trade these for a relatively hack-free society any day.  The revamped inventory system is a massive plus.

While I'm quite pleased with the status of the game at this point, along with the rapid release of patches that are solving big issues on a regular basis, here's what I'd like to see in the near future, and I'm well aware that some of them have already been announced as "early 2014" releases:

- Zombie and loot respawns.  Once all the military areas have been looted, users are forced to server hop.  Zombies don't seem to currently "guard" loot like they did in the mod.

- Melee.  This needs work.  I won't even attempt a fight with a zombie without an axe, because the others are simply awful at even making contact.

- Tents.  Essential for loot hunting and stashing gear for friends and post-death respawns.  The beginning of establishing a 'base' on a server.

- Vehicles.  After always making a toolbox, wheel, and jerry can new-spawn priorities in the Mod to get an ATV moving, running on foot everywhere is currently painful.  Not to mention the extra storage space makes a big difference in the usefulness of loot hunting.  (Although current backpack stacking works to alleviate some of this issue.  Please don't remove this "feature/bug" until after vehicles and/or tents are implemented.)

- Weapon content.  Off to a great start with customization of the M4, Mosin, and FNX, but this could be massive.  I'm formerly a software engineer in US Army military simulations, and we had literally thousands of different small arms and variants available.  The Mosin was an excellent choice.  So is the Ruger 10/22.  Other popular civilian rifles, such as the Remington 700 or semi-auto AR15, would be very welcome additions that won't require 'military' spawns.  I look forward to the civilian-based Ruger 10/22 being available commonly along with .22LR ammo, especially because this is one of the most customized firearms in the US with full rifle, bullpup, and pistol stock versions available in both 10-round and 25-round magazines.  The Ruger MKIII pistol would be an excellent companion addition.  I'd love to see comparative realism in performance among firearms, while using the rarity of firearms and ammo to tune effectiveness/usefulness of particular weapons.  Magazine capacity, rate of fire, recoil, barrel length and quality to determine muzzle velocity and inherent accuracy, barrel twist rate for stability of specific weight projectile, reload speed, deployment speed, maneuverability, sight picture, attachment points, size & weight, reliability - all variables to create true diversity among all weapons.

Many firearms had versions for various calibers (Ruger Blackhawk, Remington 700, the AR platform, AK platform, the Glock frame, etc), so extract a huge variety of weapons by creating different caliber versions.

There is a huge list of handgun, carbine, rifle, and shotgun calibers that have historical significance or are widely used in military, police, and civilian firearms, and variance in weapons would be welcomed for player combat and loot variety.  Let's see this variety implemented.

Ultimately, the loot hunt and customization of clothing and weapon loadout is what's going to keep users playing.  Providing true depth and variety of firearms, not just in name but also functionality by 50+ base models that can be further customized, will be an added touch unavailable in any other game.

Thanks for the hard work and timely updates - I plan to keep playing through the progress.

• Like 4

All this you are saying has already been mentioned and answered

Edited by flygamer1
  • Like 2

I don't know how many times these kind of threads have been posted. If you are well aware that these have been mentioned, you should have used the search function instead of making the 1000th thread about it.

I don't know how many times these kind of threads have been posted. If you are well aware that these have been mentioned, you should have used the search function instead of making the 1000th thread about it.

There is no rule regarding posting threads like these. Stop whining.

Working for an AAA franchise seems to have you also thinking like an AAA franchise. The things you mentioned are the basics, the tip hopefully. Go deeper and cast your net wider, then maybe you can get outside the same old bubble of thought that keeps on churning out the same old games. Not meant in any disrepectful way :) ..just that what you mention is the same old ..same old.

edit- speeeeeling

Edited by Hetstaine

There is no rule regarding posting threads like these. Stop whining.

Search before posting is a rule but people are too stupid to do it.

All this you are saying has already been mentioned and answered

this, sadly there will be another 100 threads on the exact same issues because people are too simpleminded to use the search function