Slyguy65

Rewarding players for actually staying alive and surviving.

I will just be bumping this and my other topic every other day than eventually just weekly since it gets a lot of likes but that doesn't actually bump it like a reply would.

What about the women? How bout their boobs get bigger as they survive o.0

• Like 1

Getting better at things such as crafting, bandaging etc (skills/perks, however you wanna call that) is one of the best ideas this community created since the SA release.

rocket plz

we had this discussions before, as many of you probably remember. rewarding survival without throwing out game balance out of the window is of course not easily accomplished. i think the best sugestion ever in this regard was:

lets grow beards. (and maybe long hair for the female char models).

nothing is as rewarding, majestic and respect-inducing as a beard (or golden braids) to your hips

I love the beard and hair idea. And before I go any further with my actual point, I think it's warranted to say that a "KoS problem" or "Banditry problem" is non-existant. It is a playstyle and doing anything to take it away subtracts from the game.

That being said: if your gonna add skills, you must apply them evenly across the board for all playstyles, lest we all become scared little rabbits running away from everyone. Furthermore, I think without a combat logging mechanism, this would increase logging tenfold, as people would be scared to lose such a valuable character.

The safest addition is the purely asthetic one such as beards and hair. But let's go just a step further and reward the sadistic manaics that makes the game enjoyable, like make a string of ears or tribal something they wear that gets more elaborate as the bandit kills add up. This would reward that playstyle and if you managed to kill or avoid one, you'd be like "whoa, I just cheated death."

One last thing, though. A player should have the option of removing any of this garb or shaving as to avoid becoming a bigger target.

Thoughts?

I so agree, I want something that gives me a reason to actually try and stay alive in the game. Right know all you get is the chance of loosing gear. We need something that gives you a reason to live in the game after you collected all the gear you need.

• Like 3

:beans: apparently we cant delete our own postss

Edited by Slyguy65

The point of the game is to not have some silly unrealistic system.

The reward of staying alive is you have all you stuff.

getting better at certain  actions through repeated practice is not unrealistic thats like saying school is unrealistic

• Like 2

It is plausible and at least not unrealistic.

The reward of staying alive is you have all you stuff.

But I can have all my stuff back in ~30 minutes. So my life is not a big deal.

PS.

Often when I am low on blood I don't even try to eat/drink to regenerate it or to get blood transfusion. I just find me a nice tall tower/rock, suicide jump and then respawn and go pick stuff up from my dead body.

This is not how life in survival game should be.

Edited by Frosti
  • Like 1

WHAT ABOUT:

Every time you kill a person, you get bonuses to things you mentioned

WHAT ABOUT:

Every time you kill a person, you get bonuses to things you mentioned

Sure, increased accuracy when you're firing a gun and hitting your target. But you'd hardly get better at jogging long distances for sniping someone at 800 m.

I think it would add a rather interesting aspect to the game and it is highly realistic that if you maintain something, firearm accuracy or just keeping yourself in shape you're going to be better off at something than someone who doens't do said thing. I would also like to see weight added, making it more difficult to run long distances with a 35 cans of spaghetti in your backpack as opposed to an empty one or one with 35 kiwis.

I wouldn't cry if it wasn't implemented though, but it definitely wouldn't hurt if they did enrich the game with a system like this somehow.

• Like 1

What would be cool tho is that perk progression required your character to be in good "position", not cold, relaxed, well fed, not in pain.

• Like 1

I quit reading after the 4th unrealistic suggestion. FRAT for the rest.

Edited by Good Greef

The basic idea is heading in the right direction. Keep any skills 'under the hood' i.e. no overt "You're running skill has increased!" Any improvements in ability should subtle and in accordance with practice. In terms of physical capacity it should also relate to your long term nutritional status.

EDIT: Perks are fun in other games, but don't see a place in DayZ personally.

Edited by Roshi

Developing skills would be useful for grouping or clans as well, someone could focus on being a medic and therefore maybe have perks like holding more medical supplies (experience packing them like how medkits are) and treating injuries faster, etc.  To be fair to all options other elements need complimentary perks as well, I like the idea of weapons experience for things like faster reloading (nothing too crazy) but when I was in the marines we did drills to practice getting mags in faster which does improve with numerous times practicing.  The more you practiced and just naturally played the more valuable you would be as a teammate or powerful lone wolf. 

Other skills could appear like if you keep using a map each day eventually being able to draw and make notes on it with a pen (marking loot or ways you want to meet people, etc.)

Just staying alive through difficulties is good enough reward for me. Though, if I could wish for anything, then I would like to be able to grow myself a ZZ Top -beard ingame Then people wouldn't look at gear, but the beard when estimating how dangerous people are! Scoreboard would show the length of beard when a player dies. Beards would be collected as trophies that you could show to your friends. "Look at this, guys! This beard is AT LEAST 25cm long! I shot the owner of this monster near Vybor. My kitchen knife turned from pristine to ruined when I cut it." The best shot in server would get the title Barber.

• Like 2

One perk might be that wearing "ruined" clothing provides just as much protection "pristine" (wearing pristine clothing would provide no additional protection.) This would allow characters that have been around along time the option to have that ratty hobo look (beard and all.)

IMO a sandbox games must rely more on community rewards, meaning, reputation points.

A abstract sterile system of rewards embedded on the machine side doesn't account for human interaction, which is exactly what DayZ SA has the most interesting.

Reputation Level ( unknown to everyone INGAME, unless you share it through the forum... ).

Make a name for yourself. Best score ever. Best skill ever.

Just my 2 beans.

I'm in favour of anything that makes me value my character so long as it is realistic and doesn't imbalance the game. It's completely realistic that people become more proficient in certain things, and Rocket himself has said in Q&As that he eventually wants characters to get better at certain things over time. I believe he was using vehicle repair and administering medical aid as an example.

Cardio has been suggested since the early days of the mod and is a great example of something that could work as a reward once stamina/exhaustion actually matters. Being able to run slightly farther, for example, doesn't really imbalance the game but will make you think twice about killing yourself to re-gear for fun (let's be honest, at this point most of us have done it at least once).