Sign in to follow this  
martink8190@gmail.com

Gore for zombies only to enhance our experience?

IMO dayz would step up another level if zombies were to had some form of gore. I'd be quite happy with some ''simple'' implementation if I could call that. Imagine shooting zombies with high calibre weapons and their leg or arm comes off. 

Would the community like to see anything like it?

• Like 10

If implemented on proper weapons it would be a fantastic edition. Wouldn't want to see a decapitated zombie from a bat swing or pistol headshot.

• Like 1

First of all, they should look and act scary ;C

good luck with the engine they picked.

Probably not going to happen because of performance.

Left 4 dead for example can handle stuff like this because there are relatively few zombies per scene, compared to dayz where the server will have to handle a few thousand zombies (hopefully).

To make that happen zombies have to be kept as simple as possible. Taking of limbs would require more hitboxes, more calculations per zombie and of course more animations.

Before getting to that, I'd like to see some realistic bleeding on the players. The "fountains of blood" currently in the game are silly. We need actual stains that spread over the clothes.

• Like 4

I've heard somewhere that they want to make this kind of thing a reality - and it's fairly likely it will happen. But don't expect it any time soon... There are many, many more important things to think about first.

The server doesn't load all infected on the map at once! Infected only spawn once a player hits a certain radius of a building etc so better models, skins, animations and hitboxes are definitely possible.

Just saying, gore wouldn't be server side... It'd be client side. The server simply handles whether or not there's a zombie there, in basic terms. Your client handles when you hit the zombie or not - and the animations along with everything else similar... So gore wouldn't (or shouldn't) slow down servers at all.

• Like 1

Gore would be a nice idea and would look great.. nothing beats a large blood splatter from the back of one's head when your using a .44

The server doesn't load all infected on the map at once! Infected only spawn once a player hits a certain radius of a building etc so better models, skins, animations and hitboxes are definitely possible.

WRONG. That's how the mod worked. 

• Like 2

WRONG. That's how the mod worked. 

You're right in the sense that the server handles where everything is - and zombies exist everywhere on the map, regardless of player location.

But that doesn't change the fact that models, animations and that kind of thing all are client side... Not server side. I can't say for certain - as I've never used this particular engine, but generally, hit boxes are client side too... It tells the server whether it hit or not - and where it hit - rather than the server figuring it out itself. Gore could easily be coded client side, basically, not affecting the server at all...

Then, the player could choose the detail of gore (or turn it off all together) and no one would have performance issues due to gore.

Edited by Isaaq

Then, the player could choose the detail of gore (or turn it off all together) and no one would have performance issues due to gore.

That would be ideal and if that means that there would not be any performance issues ( I lack the knowledge, implementation, engine.. ) than I see little to no reason not to have it.

Oh, just throwing this out there actually...

If you attack someone, it already can tell where you hit them. Multiple hit boxes are already in effect. There are two unarguable examples of this.

First, what loot is 'ruined.' Shoot them in the head? The helmet/hat gets ruined (I've even heard about sunglasses getting broken on eye shots.) Same with the chest and legs.

The second part is blood. When you hit someone, the blood comes from the area you hit them. Hit boxes aren't an issue.

Edited by Isaaq

good luck with the engine they picked.

yet again a programming pro...

they have the right to modify all they want. a game engine is nothing that cant be edited.

• Like 2

Ok so seeing as some of us think / thought this would be engine limited and or bring performance issues, is there anything you in the know think why would they not too keen on implementing gore in dayz then? 

Ok so seeing as some of us think / thought this would be engine limited and or bring performance issues, is there anything you in the know think why would they not too keen on implementing gore in dayz then? 

I believe that they wont do it now because they have more important things to finish first.

Rocket said in an interview that he wanted to add children zombies (ill post the link soon) but he was afraid of human right activists or so that would say he is a freak putting children zombies in the game.

IMO that is really stupid because "The Walking Dead" has children zombies as well.

Maybe they will add Gore later too. (DayZ Breaking point and DayZ Origins had zombies with choped of arms too.)

If I had to program this I would implement a character change for the zombies after certain hitbox point was triggered by a certain amount of damage.

(zombie changes from Model 1 (no gore) after the shot to Model 2 (arm off) f.e.

(character change is already possible in the DayZ Mod (change clothings) -> some sub mods had the ability to take off peoples outfit after they died -> including in action character change)

Edited by =GS=Quobble
  • Like 3

Just saying, gore wouldn't be server side... It'd be client side. The server simply handles whether or not there's a zombie there, in basic terms. Your client handles when you hit the zombie or not - and the animations along with everything else similar... So gore wouldn't (or shouldn't) slow down servers at all.

I'm not a technician, but I think the server has to handle the "Okay!"? 

It's more like:

Client A (CA): Hit this Z with Fireaxe n damage. Z down. 

Server(S): You where at xxx.yyy.zzz, got a fireax. dealed n damage, because Z was at xxx.yyy.zzz, too. Confirmed. 

CA: See it, thanks, mate!

S - ticks: Hey guys, Zombie down on xxx.yyy.zzz.

CA: Confirmed

CB: Confirmed

C[...]: Confirmed

So the server has to handle all the hits and position with his tickrate and the information of the ragdoll would be comunicated, too, if it shouldn't be async, I guess.

Something i would allso like to see to do with gore is if you are hit/wounded/shot ect and you bandage yourself seeing as the engine knows where you've been hit, when you bandage  you actually see the bandage in the location of the wound.. with a blood stain on it.. and you will have to change the bandage once meaning you'll need 2 bandages per 1 wound but once the 2nd bandage has been applied instead of needing another the wound would of healed.

just a thought i had that i think would be pretty cool to actually see wounded survivers running around.

• Like 1

In would love gore in the game, every zombie game should have gore. However for DayZ its obviously more complicated because of the engine.

But when they do implement ragdolls, we will probably be able to see more decapitations or something more gory.

However for now, I think they should focus on the fountain of blood and stuff that is more manageable, maybe if you or zombies get hit in the face or wherever, change the skin to a bloody one depending on where you get hit. Maybe that already is hard to do, but seems more likely to happen any time soon than blowing up zombies or players.

Of course we would ALL LOVE gore in DayZ, but that is a later on down the road feature.

But since you brought it up, I would like to see things like the axe getting stuck in a zombies skull and having to press LMB again to pull it out.

Same thing with a screwdriver to the eye, or a bayonet to the gut with you gun.

With a the chainsaw being implemented, actual limbs being sawed off is a must.

I would like to see the pliers used to remove bullets from your wound.

I would love to see a slit throat animation if you manage to sneak up behind someone (most likely a FPP server thing)

Anything to make DayZ more realistic!

Edited by TEST_SUBJECT_83
  • Like 1

We'll probably see some gore if or when a new physics engine is implemented. Until then, we probably won't see much

I'd personally love to see zeds be hard to kill like they should. Only way should be melee or bullet to the head, anything else might just slow it down but not kill it. The misery mod for STALKER COP is a good example of what I mean, you shoot the zombies anywhere but the head they just flinch or fall down and get back up.

Edited by Sputter