Nashtanir

How is the character stored?

If I create a character with my computer A and continue playing with the same Steam account on computer B, will I be able to use the same character? If not, will I have two separate characters for both computers or will the computer B erase computer A's character?

Its about servers and your steam account, not computer you want to play. So, you can play same character on computerA and B but not same time. (steam allow 1 connection per account)

Sorry about my english.

Edited by Ironshaitan

I'd expect it's associated with your Steam ID, as the GUID for DayZ is unique for your copy of the game/character. Therefore, the GUID associated with that Steam account can only relate to one character.

When you hear 'hive' that's really whats being talked about (among other things). Your character is stored on the Hive. The Hive is a server, that 'controls' all the servers we play on. So, your account on steam is 'portable' e.g. you can play on any computer by logging into your steam account. You can connect to, and play on any 'public' hive server and have access to your persistent character, from YOUR account, no matter the computer you log in on (providing of course, the game is installed on the computer you log into steam on). "Private hive' servers are computers that have both hive server function and game server together on one box (server is a piece of software NOT necessarily a specific piece of hardware. Most servers run on 'dedicated' boxes and we incorrectly think that a server is the dedicated computer, but its really not, its the software ran on that dedicated computer)... clear as mud?