fortran

DayZ Sound Design Test - Part 3 Final Added

Ok guys I really don't understand why this is so hard. I agree to Rocket to some extend and appreciate his effort to justify bohemia's lazyness. But mostly it's bullshit.

"I don't know what the result will be because we don't have a high-level functioning team capable of what I expect in that regard yet. It is something that takes time, learning, and a careful selection of people."

You have the budget and you have 2 years time now. God damn what else do you require? Bohemia can easly hire a sound developement team and everything could be done in couple months. REPLACING current sounds does not require any engine tweaks. Just replace the fucking files?!?

You can see this with the new sounds we DID make being completely out of sync with the new animations. Many of the "simple" sound triggers you speak of, are not simple and the method that the engine plays ambient sounds is something we are actively changing because the way the engine does it does not support what we need to do to achieve a leap in ambient sounds.

This is barely an answer. Currently there's no changing ambient sound in DayZ, what the fuck is he talking about? We're talking about REPLACING a single sound file and he says "well it's not easy to switch between sounds in game, engine sucks blah blah" REALLY?

Currently, when player character touches to a bush it already makes sounds. What's so hard about applying SAME thing to trash cans, fences etc.?

I totally understand external and internal sound design needs some hard work. But replacing dirt steps or gun sounds are easy as hell. What's is so hard and require code expertise about putting an INVENTORY OPENING SOUND or DOOR SOUNDS? What the FUCK Rocket?

I really believe Rocket is being the good guy and does everytging he can to improve the game. However, he has to defend Bohemia since he's an employee now. Don't lie to us dude, just tell the truth that Bohemia will never care about making a good game.

You clearly did not understand rockets post nor do you have ANY clue about game or sound design. 

Replacing files... yeaaaah right. Lets take a simple example of a gun sound. in the video the sound gets distorted based on location of the player and the location of the shot. e.g. in a building or from a mountain top... how do you think that works in a game? right you have to write the sound engine, so that it can process the sound and distort it accordingly. and that is something you want to do last, because otherwise you will constantly have to change the sounds over and over, everytime you change something with the sound engine.

You clearly did not understand rockets post nor do you have ANY clue about game or sound design. 

Replacing files... yeaaaah right. Lets take a simple example of a gun sound. in the video the sound gets distorted based on location of the player and the location of the shot. e.g. in a building or from a mountain top... how do you think that works in a game? right you have to write the sound engine, so that it can process the sound and distort it accordingly. and that is something you want to do last, because otherwise you will constantly have to change the sounds over and over, everytime you change something with the sound engine.

You clearly did not read my post.

"I totally understand external and internal sound design needs some hard work. But replacing dirt steps or gun sounds are easy as hell. "

these fanboys...

i dont get why its so hard tbh either.

mosin reload is sound file swop file with new one why is that hard same for rain or whatever else if it matches the animation or length of time how can it be such a task to remove one place holder for another ?

What's weird is that I feel that is the first 3d online video game of the world. The problem must com from the Real Virtuality or something.

Edited by Hirntot

You have to realize that Bohemia Interactive is a business and the decisions they make is based on that, not necessarily what the customer wants.  Hiring a sound development team isn't cheap.  Consider their salaries, new building to house a studio, overhead, all the equipment they need, licensing for sounds, we are talking some serious money.  Yes, they are making millions off current Alpha sales but let the CEO decide what he wants to do with his company.  There may be more important areas he wants the money to go.  IE paying off some debt, upgrading buildings, improving employee wellfare etc... 

I know it is easy to get frustrated over seemingly simple things, I fall victim to it as well, but I'm willing to bet Bohemmia Interactive is doing the best they can to satisfy their business and customer needs.

I love all the sounds, especially the sounds where you brush up against the wall, bushes, garbage can, etc... Sounds for brushing up against the metal fence would be nice too.

I particularly really enjoyed the door / gate sounds. I think those would be the most game changing at this time.

Just want to second a couple points made by some people (ye know who ye are ye have my beans).

1. Ambiance that contains sounds from things that aren't even there is very bad. The sound of the ocean and the seagulls is lovely and tranquil and I might listen to it as I am going to sleep but if I look around in the game I'm gonna expect to see some seagulls. Care needs to be taken in this regard not to break immersion. Same goes for the wind. In the interior of the house you can hear the wind whistling through every crack in the architecture but walk outside and not a blade of grass is moving, at least not to the extent that the interior wind sounds would have you believe.

2. I really love the idea of birds vacating an area where gunshots have rang out. Just imagine arriving at a town and starting to loot. You're looting away happy as a clam when all of a sudden the eery silence becomes disturbingly apparent. Shots were fired here recently enough that the birds have not returned. That's good immersion :)

Anyway love the sounds otherwise, really great work!

I really cant stand how unimportant sound or for that matter, any kind of what would be considered, polish for most games, is to Rocket and BI. They have time and time again made excuses and downplayed the importance of sound. Especially in a Survival-Horror game. I hate that he says anyone who cares about sound is going to be dissapointed with the entire project. he is pretty much saying, sound is not a priority.

For gods sake man, every time I run into a bush it makes sound so clearly it cant be THAT HUGE A DEAL to implement that towards trashcans, fences and the like. Sounds like a bunch of excuses to continue on with their make great game play but fuck the polish approach. (animations, world interactions, sound, graphics)

I hate this lazy approach. This is there chance and if they fuck it up, the millions of people who drop money on BI for DayZ will be gone forever, cuz I would not be buying DayZ 2 or ARMA 4. 

Edited by VictorM

Nice sounds, loved all of them except rain and banana.

I think rain should sound a bit different in a forest, what I've heard was a rain in a town with asphalt roads. And banana seemed too loud.

Ok I also get the part of adding sounds to the video and how much different is the approach to implementing such sounds in the actual game but arma modders came up with very immersing sounds without even having access to the core of the engine and done so with plethora walkarounds times again. One can excuse BI sound department from whatever angle they want but the matter that BI sound/s & implementation has been always far from priority and very subpar still stands. 

That said, I am delighted that team rocket is looking to change this this time around and hired a dedicated sound engineer. Can't wait for new sounds and hopefully providing some feedback

You did this as a weekend project?? This is better than AAA game quality right here, I have never heard so good sounds in a game. BUMP and I hope you become a developer of this game!

• Like 1

I never knew sound was actually this important until now. Wow, it makes the game seem completely different.

Those videos sound amazing and frankly I don't see why SmashT felt the need to tear down people's comments. Sure, maybe it's not as simple as doing what the OP did, but in 3.5 months all we really have is an absolutely stupid "swishing" sound that plays 10 times when you stop punching, or the deafening white noise you get when you log in with a revolver in your inventory.

Edited by DarkwaveDomina
  • Like 1

These were brilliantly made. You made the entire game sound like a different experience. I really liked the gate opening/rubbing up against stuff audio. You'd be a bit more hesitant about opening gates if they made that much noise. The whole thing just sounds that much more immersive. Game changer and totally badass work! I hope the Devs have seen this!

Edit: Never mind. I saw Dean's reddit response. I see his points there. Makes sense. However, this is a very nice glimpse of what could eventually be! Great work!

Edited by Gekkonidae
  • Like 1

Just my two cents

Great sound design does add a lot to a game. If any of you have played Bad Company 2 you'll know what I'm talking about.

For you entitled audio assholes Dean is basically saying in a nice way that sound is not a top priority...get over it, for real. 

Edited by blindwuzi

I'm pretty sure this guy is better than whole Bohemia audio team :D

• Like 1