Sign in to follow this  
Sensory (DayZ)

A Random Brainstorm

Here is a pure/unedited brainstorm I had (copied and pasted into forum) to help add some depth to the game:

Some ideas may be good, some bad. Left it all in.

1. Books - Rather than just random books..

1. Books with relevant information that gives players helpful tips and advice about the world
    and hidden components about monitoring their health.
    i.e. "Chernarus Nutritional Guide": In pages explains the benefits of various food/drink items
    around the world
                        or
    i.e. Emergency Medicine; explaining the crude medical techniques DayZ gives their
    players the option of utilizing.

This gives the new player valuable tips about the world so they can be better prepared for the
    situations they will come across without having to learn every lesson the hard way.

Adding relevant information to books around the world gives endless opportunities for creativity.
    Things like diaries that describe a person's struggle with the apocalypse and point a player to
    a unique item spawn that is linked to the individuals diary story where his adventures brought him
    across unique item and the secret location is explained in the diary. i.e. Diaries spawn across
    the world simultaneously with a hidden item they are linked to. A treasure map so to speak.
                        or
    Books that can be read for the survivor to learn about unique crafting abilities.
    i.e. Unique cooking recipies such as "Andrei's Guide to Perfect Borscht"
    "Chef Dimitri's Secret Recipies" "Introduction to Wine and Liqueur"

... Note the books aren't required to create the recipies, but simply supply the information needed to
cook special foods

Books can be released with crafting system updates to give players clues on how to utilize
    new crafting systems.

2. Minigames/Systems

What do we do in real life for fun? We play games and participate in activities with one another.
    Just because its an apocolypse doesn't mean we still won't have time on our hands!

You walk into a house and there is a fully functional Chess Board on the living room table.
    A functional box of dominos

Fun items like yo-yo, cigars & tobacco pipes, alcoholic beverages & juicers (for crushing fresh
    fruit into juice which can be mixed with Alcohol for unique drinks), unique drunk effects
    in stages (rather than just causing sickness when alcohol is drunk) - can be very humorous for friends

A baseball with a throw option and an additional swing option for baseball bats (maybe a bad idea
    as it threatens the "smoothness" of DayZ) ** An awkwardly animated throw and swing doesn't help to make
    the game more immersive, but can definitely be a fun addition if animated correctly.

Fishing System:
    Fishing pole and Can of Worms, fishing line, hook, barbed hook (increased catch rate relative to Hook)
    Use of pliers to remove fish from Hook removing risk of hand injury (10%) Various native fish (unfamiliar
    with Russian saltwater fish)

Cooking System (crafting system for creating more effective food)
    Gathering System:
        Add mushroom spawns in the woods to be used for cooking
        Add various Wild Vegetables in plain regions to be used for cooking
        i.e. Wild Asparagus, wheat (very common), Wild Tomatoes (Uncommon) --- other native russian vegetables
        Berry Bushes (rare)
    ---Gives players opportunities to acquire food other than canned goods.
    ---Expands on the Animal Meat/Hunting idea (gives more uses for animal meat increasing its value)
    ---Gives opportunies to create rare food items using uncommon meat/gathering resources. Rare foods
    can give added temporary benefits in addition to hunger/blood restoration such as +10% blood for 1-3
    hours, increased weapon accuracy, etc.
    ---Better foods = more hunger restoration/more blood/unique effects
    ---"Well Fed" mechanic (blood restores slowly over time when player is Well Fed, weapon accuracy increased)
    Well Fed > Normal > Hunger (Low) > Hunger (Mild) > Hunger (Severe) > Starving (or however it works)
    Well Fed > However it works
    --- Canned Foods cannot boost a player from normal to well fed

---"Well Hydrated" mechanic (Increased resistance/recovery of sickness/disease)
    ---Added Item "Tea Bag" Used with water to create Tea (health benefits)

---Added Item "Basket" Functions as Medical Kit but for Gathered Items (Wheat, vegetables, mushrooms, berries, etc)

3. Combat Updates

Increase blood transfusion time *1 minute?* (On-the-go, 5 second, mid-combat blood transfusions is ridiculous)
    Give players Use Blood Bag/Use Saline Bag option for self use
    ---Slightly Increased rarity of Saline Bag

"I just got shot 6 times and am barely concious, you have a blood bag?"
    "Yep, here you go."
    "Great, I feel perfect."

Introduce other medical item for mid-combat situations such as;
    Adrenaline Shot (temporary boost in blood that decays over time)
    --- Epi-Pen (Epinephrine) is literally human adrenaline and could fulfill this role.
    Rather than simply reviving unconcious players Epi-Pen restores players blood
    (which would cause a revive if used for this purpose) then restored blood begins
    to decay slowly over time being completely lost in roughly 15 minutes

--- This gives added consequences for being shot, players can no longer take a barrage of bullets and
    blood bag back up to full in 5 seconds behind cover in combat situations - as if it never happened.
    They will have to deal with the consequences of being shot early in a gun fight.

• Like 2

I particularly like the one about being able to find food elements off the land, berries and wheat etc.

Have some beans for your post so you don't have to scavenge some..

There are some nice ideas.

As well i would like to see something like a physical shock and the consequences of that like shaking and or freezing in cold winter nights without proper clothing or wet cloth.... :)

This would force the survivor to drop all his cloth asap and make a campfire or heat up the camin to survive and dry all of his cloth and being dehydratet in cold seasons as well, ponds are frozen you need ice to make yourself fresh water stuff like that,

in general a intension to make surviving a lot harder alone and reduce the rate of getting "gear killed" by helping each other to survive hard cold days is a in my oppinion a great way to provide the felling of surviving.

I am thinking about in which way zeds should change their behavior in cold seasons maybe moving slower like the survivor fighting through snow.

btw Snow and footsteps, trails of blood...smoking camins reveal player positions :lol:

Something else i think it worth to think about is to make doors lockable:

Maybe just the maindoor lockable by hand and some other doors maybe with planks and nails maybe windows as well to have a safe spot to heal or cook.

Of course another player with a axe or crowbar can enter this room but the one inside is warned then and can get prepared.

stay alive

best regards MoBu 

All ideas sound good. I'd like to see them all implemented, especially the blood bag point I definitely agree with that.