Sign in to follow this  
ForcefulCJS

Fix spawning mechanics for groups!

There's a lot of broken stuff surrounding what happens when a large group of players rolls into a town together. I'll try and summarize the problem:

1 - Impossibly large groups will spawn on even the smallest of structures. This violates the game's goals of realism and encouraging co-operative play. I asked my squad to cover me as I checked out a deer stand, by the time I got up the deer stand there were more military zombies in the area than at a typical helicopter crash, it was ridiculous. The same will happen at even tiny sheds, barns, and other innocuous structures.

2 - Sometimes the size of spawns that we create from structures "dries out" nearby spawns. Case-in-point: We approach Starry Sobor from the West, every building on the West side has a horde wandering around it. We get to the military tents and what do we see? They are completely undefended, not a single zombie in sight.

3 - Vehicles + Groups = Chaos. For some reason zombies don't spawn while we sit in our truck, but we have learned the hard way that if we pull up to a gas station/building/etc. and all of us unload, within 30 seconds we are swarmed by 50+ zombies. Sure they won't spawn RIGHT on top of us like in 1.7.1 but I've still had zombies pop-in in front of my eyes merely 30 meters away.

I agree that there should be some scaling in challenge for groups. But not so much that our group motto is "stay in the truck" for most encounters since anything more than 3-4 people leaving the truck turns any situation into chaos. Believe it or not, even 10+ players are not able to hold off 50+ zombies outdoors without serious casualties, friendly fire, and a massive waste of resources (ammo, medical supplies) that is never worth the risk for looting a few buildings. Part of this problem stems from zombie pathing, desync issues, lag, as well - but massive zombie spawns are the core of the issue.

I dunno how big your group is, but I play with 4 people usually and spawn rates are the same as the times I'm alone. There is never more than 3 zombies at a deer stand.

As for 2, that's just DayZ being DayZ as is.

3. Again, that's just how it is in vehicles as of now. Zombies do not spawn until you get out, then they instantly spawn everywhere.

I dunno how big your group is' date=' but I play with 4 people usually and spawn rates are the same as the times I'm alone. There is never more than 3 zombies at a deer stand.

As for 2, that's just DayZ being DayZ as is.

3. Again, that's just how it is in vehicles as of now. Zombies do not spawn until you get out, then they instantly spawn everywhere.

[/quote']

We run from anything from 6 to 14 when we're all on. I agree smaller groups don't have much of an effect but at around 8 it's very noticeable.

And as for "that's just how it is with DayZ", that's why I made this post. Only a minority of players operate in permanent squads and I'm trying to raise awareness of these problems. They apply to any group, even if a bunch of fresh coastal players start off they risk jeopardizing themselves if they get a big enough group.

Well, this spawning mechanic actually was useful when my group went to have fun on a closed tournament: we were able to have dozens of zombies as targets so we could shoot them :)