Sign in to follow this  
dgeesio

Admin tools for SA.

well after many discussions on this previously i would like to get some definite answers on this.

this is very important to players and admins alike.

admins need to be able to run the servers to the best of their ability with as much ease as possible. thing is admins do in the mod currently have features which can be exploited very easily.

i have suggested we have one proper admin tool that is developed by the dayz devs and is the only one allowed to be used to stop any explotation. this helps both players and admins and everything is then kept above board.

the thing is by having just one tool to be used by all dayz server owners in standalone this would cut down on alot of the explotation possible. also with a managed tool people know what is and isnt possible. explotation of the tool would mean blacklisting for the server owner to keep server owners inline.

with how the mod is and server rental agents they often make third party tools to sell or make people rent there servers ! im suggesting only the " official" server tool when made is the only one allowed to be used. people will obviously try and abuse or not comply to this and this needs to be monitored.

for eg a discussion i had with a popular dayz server owner on this very topic....

Say a server owner who has his own dedicated box which is connected to the hive in a private sense is asked if he has any third party tools installed. He says no, no one can verify if this is true or not because they do not have access to his box. Say they request access, all he does is uninstall any third party tools before letting someone have access to his box.. Which BTW any self respecting admin would tell them to get stuffed. Other option is to install a VM which only sysadmins have access to, again most self respecting admins would tell them to get stuffed.

The only way to actually have this MMO running is for BIS to run all servers and have a sysadmin team to deal with it, much like any other larger MMOs out there, problem is that there would need to be a monthly fee for that..

so some kind of guidlines and rules along with a good tool for adminning needs looking at. thing is how are the dayz team going to combat any kind of explotation which we all know is in dayz with the tools? are third party aps going to be allowed? third party progs ? i understand admins do need very good tools but at the same time players also want to play a fair game.

a good balance is needed.

any insight into this would be welcomed .

Edited by dgeesio
  • Like 3

I would pay a monthly fee for playing on BiS run servers, would be money well spent considering how much i play it tbh

• Like 1

What you need is a procon for DayZ situation. At the end of the day rcon can only display info that is passed via the rcon protocol. The reason that the admins of the mod had so much access to the db was because they were hosting the db as well as the game (when hosting PH).

I believe that the idea with the SA is that even PH / shared PH are still dependant on a remotely hosted db which they likely wont be able to amend. 3rd party rcon tools are not the issue here and all you are asking is for more work to be undertaken by an already busy dev team.

If the above is incorrect and hosts Will again be hosting the db (when private hive) then theres literally nothing you can do to prevent db manipulation. You can do it with any db software.

Edited by {SAS}Stalker

as you highlighted some issues and its nice for your input as it already shows issues that need sorting. ;)

admins and players need to air there thoughts on what could make a better admin tools that could work. in a thoughtful manner.

nothing to do to prevent database manipulation is the very thing that needs challenging .

• Like 1

Seems like the only admin tools there are right now are in the script kiddies hands.  I got teleported yesterday from the tents in the NW AF to somewhere waaaay the hell North East at the top of the map.... lol

With that said...Im sure Rocket will be working on SAFE Server Admin tools after they get a lot of the script kiddie holes fixed (and STEAM bans thier steam accounts...cant wait for that day.  Im popping popcorn and sitting in the forums on the first day of this..lol).  But I would bet we are a year or more away from good SA admin tools.

It would come in so handy, to be able to just be able to see if my Messages get sent out correctly and be able to kick/ban the script kiddies.

Some kind of possible interaction between admins and players ingame would be also appreciated.

just a really simple tool, to be able to manage/moderate the servers a bit better without the need to be ingame. 

I wouldn't mind having tools to help monitor my server. Actually I would like to have such tools as long as the developers make them. (Like you said) xD 

With the recent hike in Hackers on a rampage (infinite ammo and shit) it would come in handy more and more to have a proper admin tool. The population is decreasing daily because people are sick of unfair advantages due to hacking... and we as Admins are helpless, because we cannot locate any of this.. we dont even know their names unless they wrote something in the chat. We need a way to identify and locate them.

I Agree! Ive tested this too many times. I will kit up, run to some random spot on the map with no cities or loot around and just sit there, and without fail some random, fully kitted guy will pop out of no where and shoot me. Happens ALL the time...on my own server! It happens so many times on my server I will no longer be paying for it or playing the standalone until we get some type of tool to stop these hackers, or at least they fix battleye to catch such obvious cheaters. I will invest my money in something developers care about.

I have 3 servers up and run a community named ZaP www.zombie-abomination.net.

Our admins have been using Dart and Battlewarden and they work relatively fine for basic rcon. Banning, kicking, tracking guid/ip is all well and good but im inclined to ask for some other tools. At the same time you have to remember that this game is in development, they WANT to know early what kinds of hacks will be used and how to nip them in the bud so to speak. Both of these comments conclude though that server admin tools probably wont/shouldnt be developed this early in the games infancy, as it could lead to just being blindsided by millions of hacks/exploits later.

Trust me, when people come in our TS and say there is some hacker/wallglitcher/or otherwise asshat messing around on my server, it is so hard for me to turn these people away unless they can get me a name and some kind of proof. I would love to hop right into the situation and just know exactly who the culprit is, and ban them if I saw that they were indeed cheating. 9/10 I have to let reports go because there is no evidence, usually someone just guesses or presumes and never actually checks pulse or anything of that nature. Like I said it is almost like they want people to hack right now, I would like to believe that Battleye had some major trick up its sleeve...but in all honesty probably does not.

One day there will be private hives, I guess till then hackers own the game :(

Edited by nankunain

I have 3 servers up and run a community named ZaP www.zombie-abomination.net.

Our admins have been using Dart and Battlewarden and they work relatively fine for basic rcon. Banning, kicking, tracking guid/ip is all well and good but im inclined to ask for some other tools. At the same time you have to remember that this game is in development, they WANT to know early what kinds of hacks will be used and how to nip them in the bud so to speak. Both of these comments conclude though that server admin tools probably wont/shouldnt be developed this early in the games infancy, as it could lead to just being blindsided by millions of hacks/exploits later.

Trust me, when people come in our TS and say there is some hacker/wallglitcher/or otherwise asshat messing around on my server, it is so hard for me to turn these people away unless they can get me a name and some kind of proof. I would love to hop right into the situation and just know exactly who the culprit is, and ban them if I saw that they were indeed cheating. 9/10 I have to let reports go because there is no evidence, usually someone just guesses or presumes and never actually checks pulse or anything of that nature. Like I said it is almost like they want people to hack right now, I would like to believe that Battleye had some major trick up its sleeve...but in all honesty probably does not.

One day there will be private hives, I guess till then hackers own the game :(

Oh no, we should not get anymore tools unless it's on Private hives. Also, there is quite a bit of rumors about your servers.... :|

Oh no, we should not get anymore tools unless it's on Private hives. Also, there is quite a bit of rumors about your servers.... :|

Oh no , people on the internet spreading rumors, who would have thought this could happen....ON THE INTERNET ;)

Although, I am flattered

Edited by nankunain

With the recent hike in Hackers on a rampage (infinite ammo and shit) it would come in handy more and more to have a proper admin tool. The population is decreasing daily because people are sick of unfair advantages due to hacking... and we as Admins are helpless, because we cannot locate any of this.. we dont even know their names unless they wrote something in the chat. We need a way to identify and locate them.

Though to be fair, the population that leaves due to "hacks", would leave anyway because most of the time they are butthurt and cry hack on anything.

As long as there is no DB editing, I am on board.

Edited by hellcane