Sign in to follow this  
gamer222

How to improve Night gameplay - Rocket please read

Since the SA is using parts of the ArmA3 engine, why not just implement the dynamic lighting system of ArmA3? It is literally never pitch black at night. You always see something. Sometimes not much, but you see something. And by turning gamma up alot you mostly just end up screwing your picture up, more than it helps. I think simply using the ArmA3 lighting and removing Gamma from the game completely(or only have it range very little so different screens can still be adjusted) would fix the entire issue.

Very hot topic indeed. I also have issues with the flashlight cone being too small indoors.  I actually start to get nauseous when I play at night and try to scavenge indoors and need to stop playing.

But I still love playing at night.

Very hot topic indeed. I also have issues with the flashlight cone being too small indoors.  I actually start to get nauseous when I play at night and try to scavenge indoors and need to stop playing.

But I still love playing at night.

dat immersion.

You know what would improve play at night, if everyone wasnt a bunch of fucking pussies.

insert advantage disadvantage argument about gamma

Also, HDR, and Clouds all effect the "darkness" of the game.

Only bandits and hoppers visit night servers because of this.

Zombies do tho thing in the night aswel you can literally run in to them and push them about they just stand there.

But yes gama and brightness needs to be nerves my guess is you might cry about NvGs later if that's how you feel now? Don't get me wrong I agree with you on this.

turn gamma up full and brightness

then set hdr to low then clouds to very low :)

Also, when using a flashlight indoors it is shining through walls, giving away your position to anyone around cause it basically lights up half of the wall. Very big issue if you want to stay mostly hidden. 

Right now players are stuck either exposing themelves, using crappy flashlights - using gamma pussy hax(not really hax but you know...) - or being absolutely blind if its cloudy. I can understand why some ppl hate night time and switch servers, even though I am a big fan of night time and I am not supportive of switching servers just because its night. In most cases I end up switching too though cause theres nothing going on anymore when its dark. Everyone left. Takes away the threat of getting killed anywhere(except for barracks ghosters) and pretty much leaves you with no player interaction at all. So right now, with zombies being almost non-existant and no threat, night time play is very boring as everyone leaves and youre basically running around on an empty map with tons of loot all for yourself. :/

I actually wish it was darker, having to use the flashlight can make it extremely tense. Remove gamma and brightness I agree with.

In post apocalyptic scenario, only a mad man would leave his/her shelter at night to get some silly ''jeans'' loot, unless equipped like navy seals and having a back up of at least few man.

Torches cast light through walls and are fairly visible from distance, makes it hazardous to loot anything but very remote villages and as long as theres brightness and gamma adjustment option it would be foolish not to use it because you bet your opponent has both at max.

NIght play needs more tweaking and refinement imo

#

Edit - posted too late :P

Edited by Colonel-Wicked

yes gamma definitely needs to be gone , sorry Dean but this is must.... if you can do it please do it ......

Night servers with at least a half moon are very playable.  Full moon is perfect.  Does anyone actually need gamma above 50%?  Just put a reasonable ceiling on gamma, or remove it completely.  Ensure there is at least a half moon, and night is viable.

If a flash light is required to move about outside the game is broken. You need to be able to see to fight other players, and if you take out your gun or axe, the light goes out and it's a complete clusterfuck.  Zombies are worse, as they can see better than the player at night, and you need to sprint  to get away from them, but if you sprint, your flashlight gets put away and you can't see where you are going.

I suppose a headlamp could fix a lot of this, if it didn't point at your feet when you raised your weapon.

I agree, i love the game at night cause of the inmersión, but people just put the gamma up to see without the flashlight and take advantage of other players like me that love this game cause of its realism and inmersion

• Like 1

Night servers with at least a half moon are very playable. Full moon is perfect. Does anyone actually need gamma above 50%? Just put a reasonable ceiling on gamma, or remove it completely. Ensure there is at least a half moon, and night is viable.

If a flash light is required to move about outside the game is broken. You need to be able to see to fight other players, and if you take out your gun or axe, the light goes out and it's a complete clusterfuck. Zombies are worse, as they can see better than the player at night, and you need to sprint to get away from them, but if you sprint, your flashlight gets put away and you can't see where you are going.

I suppose a headlamp could fix a lot of this, if it didn't point at your feet when you raised your weapon.

I have been on many servers at night and either my setttings are screwes up...or my monitor doesnt display night correctly. I cant see shit at night but outlines of tree tops if I look up at night on a clear night.

gamma is at 50 and brightness at 50. Hdr is at low...

Edited by FAAmecanic

I agree, i love the game at night cause of the inmersión, but people just put the gamma up to see without the flashlight and take advantage of other players like me that love this game cause of its realism and inmersion

You do realize rocket took out the gamma cheat 2 days after release right? Jacking gamma and brightness doesnt do dick anymore.

I can still gamma jack in my nVidia control panel. If they take it out of the game, the only difference is HOW I increase the gamma.

That said, I try to avoid excessive gamma, but I do need to see.

In post apocalyptic scenario, only a mad man would leave his/her shelter at night to get some silly ''jeans'' loot, unless equipped like navy seals and having a back up of at least few man.

Torches cast light through walls and are fairly visible from distance, makes it hazardous to loot anything but very remote villages and as long as theres brightness and gamma adjustment option it would be foolish not to use it because you bet your opponent has both at max.

NIght play needs more tweaking and refinement imo

#

Edit - posted too late :P

I agree with your logic here.... but then that begs to question why the hell would we want 12 hrs a day on a sever where only a mad man would go out pf his shelter.

sounds like the making of a great sleeping/staying in shelter post apocalyptic zombie simulator. Not very exciting...but realistic.

Right now night is so dark gamma doesn't work, which is PERFECT

Apocalypse = blackout, its great

IN A3 gamma adjusting gives you black and white nightvision 

The only issue with night is it lasts too long

I heard Rocket saying on a twitch stream that removing gamma and brightness isn't an option because people use different types of monitors.

I say screw that. You will never ever enjoy this game until you play legit at night time. It's freaking insane how different it is from daytime. I say remove the shit from settings. If someone cries about it delete the post.

I would love to play at proper night issues I see now

Gamma "hack" -> Lock the gamma slider at least limit the adjustment... There not so different monitors that you need to adjust it that much..what comes to ati/nvidia controls, make the game crash if you alt tab :D + planned connection timers would make the "cheating" that annoying so people could stop using it? Can always hope.. Right?

Not many usable lightsources..

-> flashlight, narrow beam.. Useless indoors

-> Headlamp, same as flashlight and no freetrack/oculus support to get it usable with weapon in hand.

-> portable gaslamp bugged and blinds yourself when in hand...totally unrealistic, reminds me of arma2 lighting..

I would love that gaslamp...

Also no light reflections, lights what you point your flashlight at.. Main problem with using lights indoors..

ps. Gamma hack doest work? I tried it somedays back worked fine... B/W daytime...

Edited by Zeppa

look at people on youtube recording dayz at night 95% of them use full gamma on , honestly  to me thats like cheating...

I agree with your logic here.... but then that begs to question why the hell would we want 12 hrs a day on a sever where only a mad man would go out pf his shelter.

sounds like the making of a great sleeping/staying in shelter post apocalyptic zombie simulator. Not very exciting...but realistic.

All I am saying is that night shouldn't be so dark because it's unplayable with the quirks I mentioned above. I'd be fine with dark but not..pitch black night dark

people waste there time running around at night? just join daylight servers like the rest of us.

Right now night is so dark gamma doesn't work, which is PERFECT

Apocalypse = blackout, its great

IN A3 gamma adjusting gives you black and white nightvision

The only issue with night is it lasts too long

You probably have clouds disabled. Set clouds to low and see the world in a whole new light. Edited by MattGL