Sign in to follow this  
Wildust

Night cycle / Gamma boost.

Hi. 
DayZ is very immersive at night, i must admit. But here is the problem. All players (except very new ones) do play with a boost of gamma. So they don't have to use the torchlight. 
In my opinion, it's a real problem. We should be able to move and see approximatively what is around with a default light (put the clear moon nights each time), but we should be forced to use the lamp in buildings, in order to loot. 
Devs should remove the Gamma setting, to avoid this and make lights really useful if someone wanna scavenge.

I would go further and say that real time night&day cycles aren't a good choice. This is just a choice about the server you choose to log. Put instead cycles of 2h/2h and everybody's gonna play at night and enjoy the day too. 
With a removal of the gamma setting, torchlights are gonna be vitals (and used).

• Like 1

Night time also lacks a lot of color and looks extremely desaturated, this makes it harder to distinguish different things

Hi. 

DayZ is very immersive at night, i must admit. But here is the problem. All players (except very new ones) do play with a boost of gamma. So they don't have to use the torchlight. 

In my opinion, it's a real problem. We should be able to move and see approximatively what is around with a default light (put the clear moon nights each time), but we should be forced to use the lamp in buildings, in order to loot. 

Devs should remove the Gamma setting, to avoid this and make lights really useful if someone wanna scavenge.

I would go further and say that real time night&day cycles aren't a good choice. This is just a choice about the server you choose to log. Put instead cycles of 2h/2h and everybody's gonna play at night and enjoy the day too. 

With a removal of the gamma setting, torchlights are gonna be vitals (and used).

This is an issue which I too hope gets addressed. There's definitely no consistency between graphics settings when it comes to gamma correction. Turning off clouds or switching HDR settings at night make a huge difference to visibility in the dark. Perhaps these advantageous settings should be automatically disabled at certain times of the day/night and or light levels. 

The first few days of playing the Alpha at night were probably the best because very few had really figured out how to exploit the gamma settings yet. Everyone was using torches at night. I just hope we can get that back. Immersive gaming at it best. 

• Like 1

Can't disable gamma settings for the fact people have different monitors, which each have different levels of contrast and brightness. People need to be able to adjust, and people need to be able to play with settings they are comfortable with. I'd despise this game if I had to play in the pitch black with all the neckbeards.

we have same thoughts i just made topic about removing gamma or somehow to be disabled....

Dean should do it if its possible....

Edited by Dayz3000

we have same thoughts i just made topic about removing gamma or somehow to be disabled....

Dean should do it if its possible....

He shouldn't at all.

Can't disable gamma settings for the fact people have different monitors, which each have different levels of contrast and brightness. People need to be able to adjust, and people need to be able to play with settings they are comfortable with. I'd despise this game if I had to play in the pitch black with all the neckbeards.

In 30 years of playing video games, using a whole bunch of different screen, i never had to re-set the gamma setting. 

If someone can't see anything because of his hardware settings, he still would be able to change it on its own monitor / graphic card settings (without mentionning most of video cards softwares can manage different settings for each application running).

There's still the option to set the gamma on the first launch on DayZ, and then hide it. So the player can set the right pitch for his use, but not able to have a day visibility at night.

I still think reduce the cycles on 2 hours for day / 2 hours for night would greatly improve this and the use of torchlights.

• Like 3

For your other point I'd say 4h/4h cycles are better. And for your 1st point now my side monitor goes nowhere near as bright as my main so you're wrong.

For your other point I'd say 4h/4h cycles are better. And for your 1st point now my side monitor goes nowhere near as bright as my main so you're wrong.

2h, 3h, 4h, whatever. 

The point is to have a real dynamism on the cycle so the player can usually play the transitions. On a real time cycle, most of players look for the day time servers for comfort, night time / empty to get their stuff without too much troubles. That doesn't work. 

Your side monitor is darker. Allright. So what your proposition ?

Have you at least tryed to set it on your monitor (yeah, each monitor aged of 10y or less have a gamma setting ! enjoy the tip, it's free) if you run on Nvidia video card, your video management software can also handle it. 

I guess most of people just want easy way, at the cost of games gameplay quality.

2h, 3h, 4h, whatever. 

The point is to have a real dynamism on the cycle so the player can usually play the transitions. On a real time cycle, most of players look for the day time servers for comfort, night time / empty to get their stuff without too much troubles. That doesn't work. 

Your side monitor is darker. Allright. So what your proposition ?

Have you at least tryed to set it on your monitor (yeah, each monitor aged of 10y or less have a gamma setting ! enjoy the tip, it's free) if you run on Nvidia video card, your video management software can also handle it. 

I guess most of people just want easy way, at the cost of games gameplay quality.

DayZ works fine, gamme doesn't need disabling. End of.

It's a suggestion topic here. Bring your arguments or back in your shell, turtle. Thanks.

It's a suggestion topic here. Bring your arguments or back in your shell, turtle. Thanks.

My argument is the game is fine without disabling gamma.

My argument is the game is fine without disabling gamma.

Ok, that was brilliant, thank you.

• Like 1

I don't think it's an issue with disabling gamma to be honest. I think it's the other graphics effects that aren't consistent like I pointed out before. You can change Gamma without affecting contrast and brightness with certain settings turned on or off. The issue is those settings, namely HDR and Cloud. They have a huge impact on gamma correction.

As for day night cycles. I did suggest to a friend the other day that it would be better if the cycles were half day. 12 hour cycles instead of 24. So for every 12 hours it would cycle through a day and a night. 

The reason no one uses flashlights currently is because they shine through everything and become giant "come kill me" beacons, which means using a flashlight is pretty dumb. Unless dying is your thing, in which case, by all means shine on!

desaturation can be scaled back a bit though, it's a great effect that's been overdone a bit. a little more color would definitely increase the nice visual aesthetics we already have at night.

Carebearing isn't going to make this game any better.

carebearing ? I just think the flashlight is completely useless till they find a way to make it absolutely essential. 
You're right on this point : the halo goes through the walls, and it makes it too visible. The side effect is everybody drop their lights to play changing their video options. I do it too, i'm not that masochist. But i'd like to use my flash knowing if i want to loot at night, i don't have another option.
Night cycle is pointless, right now. Instead we got a clear grey&white game. 
That's weird to see that players aren't bother with that.

I agree. Whether it is locking gamma or some other settings or having a work around in some other manner this issue needs to be addressed. You should not be able to run around inside buildings at night without light to help you, especially without windows. I do like being able to see outside at night without the light though.

I will leave the technical "how to" up to the excellent development team.

I also agree with the day/night cycle thing. It is such a blast when you play through the night and finally the sun starts to rise. I think 3-4 each phase (day/night) is perfect. Maybe longer days for the summer time (not sure if they will do seasons, just saying).

Edited by DevilDog