Mallow88

How to not be killed on sight

If i were to wake up from a coma and someone told me A) its the zombie apocalypse and B ) 95% of all people you meet will shoot you in the face the second they see you for no reason, i would have more trouble believing B. It breaks the immersion of the game and if you don't play the game to try to get into your character,to try to put yourself in the environment  and act like you would act, why not just play on a server that spawns you with a sniper rifle? You would be on a fair playing field and be able to test your abilities appropriately. 

Because a big part of what makes dayz so exiting is that you had to work very hard, maybe play for weeks to find that sniper rifle.

PvP in this game is so thrilling because you know that you can lose all the gear you worked so hard for in a heartbeat.

On some private servers in the mod it took us weeks to get our first m24 for example.

And eventually it will be the same in the SA.

Ive tried all different kinds of playstyles in the mod, except for massive interaction with others(though ive tried to be a hero for a short time). I know how it feels to be a sniper who shoots just for the lulz of it and I understand why some ppl KoS. Your everyday cod experience wont even come close to the adrenaline you get when you finally spotted your target and youre about to shoot or when you camp in a bush and suddenly you get the feeling another sniper is watching you/somebody is behind you. Really really scary shit. I doubt cod will make up for that, unless youre a real cod nerd who doesnt really like dayz because of its realism in bulletdrop etc. 

I understood what you meant by a group of "carebears" walking around the map, killing deathmatchers. But the question as to how they will identify them without getting killed themselves first still remains unanswered, unless the devs believe its a good idea to put bandit skins back in, which I dont believe they will and which I hope they wont(since its a waste of the new clothing system). Theres no way to identify KoS'ers until they shoot you. And usually when someone takes a shot, he makes sure that the shot hits the target. 

See, a safezone would be something cool. Some new part of the map where youll have a military camp(without military grade loot) with some npc soldiers who are killable but will just swarm you with sheer numbers if you shoot into the compound/at them/at someone inside. On the other hand, you could just go kill someone infront of it, then retreat to the safezone and log out. So yeah, probably not really the best idea now that I think about it again.

Bringing another MMO into this might be good for some examples. But going over to actually making suggestions to convert a feature from one game into another or even comparing both games goes too far in my opinion. I think youre starting to mix apples and pears here. I dont believe that would be the best way to go to be honest. A clan war sounds cool as hell. But how are you gonna implement that? So, 2 clans walk up to each other in a forest cause they randomly find each other, talk and find out they are both clans. Suddenly a magic sign appears out of nowhere asking them if they want to declare beef on each other and if they both agree they just get matched up against each other or what? xD

It would be cool if a group of ppl could "claim" a town and ppl would fight over towns then etc. Or if, indead of underground bases, you could change the landscape a little and create small villages and then youll fight over them. But I dont honestly see that happening as cool as it sounds. We should probably leave those fights to the ArmA series aswell tbh. Sounds badass but might not fit a zombie apocalypse too well. Not sure.

Ive tried all different kinds of playstyles in the mod, except for massive interaction with others(though ive tried to be a hero for a short time). I know how it feels to be a sniper who shoots just for the lulz of it and I understand why some ppl KoS. Your everyday cod experience wont even come close to the adrenaline you get when you finally spotted your target and youre about to shoot or when you camp in a bush and suddenly you get the feeling another sniper is watching you/somebody is behind you. Really really scary shit. I doubt cod will make up for that, unless youre a real cod nerd who doesnt really like dayz because of its realism in bulletdrop etc. 

I know what you mean, that indeed is a completly different experience.

I understood what you meant by a group of "carebears" walking around the map, killing deathmatchers. But the question as to how they will identify them without getting killed themselves first still remains unanswered, unless the devs believe its a good idea to put bandit skins back in, which I dont believe they will and which I hope they wont(since its a waste of the new clothing system). Theres no way to identify KoS'ers until they shoot you. And usually when someone takes a shot, he makes sure that the shot hits the target. 

I think I mentioned something about using their system against them, setting traps for them, and that is only one quick idea..surely other people can come up with more. But you have a point as to really indentify them, as in RL you don't know who the criminal is untill he commits the act or by using things like 'trap-cars'' 

See, a safezone would be something cool. Some new part of the map where youll have a military camp(without military grade loot) with some npc soldiers who are killable but will just swarm you with sheer numbers if you shoot into the compound/at them/at someone inside. On the other hand, you could just go kill someone infront of it, then retreat to the safezone and log out. So yeah, probably not really the best idea now that I think about it again.

Why not have a trading system an active market system where people can gather and scavenge stuff and sell them to others, maybe vendors that players can buy stuff, upgrades off of. etc.

Bringing another MMO into this might be good for some examples. But going over to actually making suggestions to convert a feature from one game into another or even comparing both games goes too far in my opinion. I think youre starting to mix apples and pears here. I dont believe that would be the best way to go to be honest. A clan war sounds cool as hell. But how are you gonna implement that? So, 2 clans walk up to each other in a forest cause they randomly find each other, talk and find out they are both clans. Suddenly a magic sign appears out of nowhere asking them if they want to declare beef on each other and if they both agree they just get matched up against each other or what? xD

No, as it works in EVE for instance is that any player of clan A can attack any player of clan B for a whole day, week, month etc after war has been declared on each other by the clan leaders.

But sure you could have or do an old fashioned napoleonic battle :P

It would be cool if a group of ppl could "claim" a town and ppl would fight over towns then etc. Or if, indead of underground bases, you could change the landscape a little and create small villages and then youll fight over them. But I dont honestly see that happening as cool as it sounds. We should probably leave those fights to the ArmA series aswell tbh. Sounds badass but might not fit a zombie apocalypse too well. Not sure.

How would you see this happen? As a sort of capable "flag" or fortress siege? with different lines of defence?

Or actual players have to guard the town 24/7?

Edited by MCRoadkill

Maybe the best post i saw. Someone finally stood up for the old player's. I also hate it when 12 year old's, who played only Call of S**t get's killed because running like retard in a middle of electro, and complains about the Kos. It's SURVIVAL GAME. SURVIVAL OF THE FITEST.

And its that comfy zone that dayz was aiming to deny to players. You were supposed to think about your actions, plot how to betray others or if they might betray you before you team up with them.

Huh? It's a sandbox, and there are no clear aims, especially not of this sort.

that makes the biggest thrill of public interaction of dayz. That is actually a HUGE part that most ppl are missing out on, simply because they dont get the chance or wont risk the chance of teaming up with a random player, let alone talking to them. They see you, they shoot. No interaction AT ALL. That is whats bad. [.......] But just shooting at someone who doesnt even know youre there is ruining this very underestimated thrill of the game that could improve everyones experience by far.

Well, shooting at someone who doesn't know you're there isn't really what I'd call an issue - it's shooting at people who do know you're there and are trying to be friendly or worse yet shooting at people who you've tried to befriend just to backstab. I do wish there were more consequences to those sorts of things, but it's quite hard to code for.

Experiencing all this interaction with strangers and seeing all different kinds of reactions, from friendly over funny and sad to plain brutal, absolutely blew my mind and made me realize what we missed out on all that time. And everyone agreed on this, up to yesterday or so. We got shoot one too many times once again by some random guys who were camping some places and just shot at everything that moves, so that now it always has a very very bitter taste of not instinctively shooting as soon as we see an armed person.

Well, the game was ruined because you (and your friends) reacted negatively to it. Your reaction defines the experience. If your isolationist-KOS approach happens AGAIN, it's because you have made that choice to eliminate a large part of the experience because you're worried someone's going to take all your grinding goodies away. Really, what's more important to you: grinding up some gear or human interaction? Well, the former it seems. That's fine, but don't then go off and blame the game because you don't want to lose your grinding goodies to the high variances of stranger interaction.

In the end, an m24/FAL/otherawesomegear is only useful for killing people. So if your approach is to not kill people that much, why would you care if you lost your high end gear? This is the thing, people get so focused on being MAXGEARED SPECOPS SUPERSOLDIER (whether this is you or not, I'm not sure) that they don't want to risk that status and the hours and hours of grind it took to get there. Or they want to KOS others to get there faster. You focus on the gear and forget the people you're playing with, and then you complain because the game/community isn't friendly enough... It's your problem as much as anyone else's, certainly not the devs'.

Other than gear, there's not much reason to care that much about being killed. If you're in a group, it doesn't take more than 5, maybe 8 minutes to regroup with them after dying, unless you're running way north of course (where PvP is generally to be expected). And you can just set it to autorun and get up from the computer for that jog anyway (well, maybe there are some alpha issues with it right now, but it worked in the Mods easily enough). Given you'll play the game for an hour, two, or more, 3-8 minutes for a respawn is a really minor inconvenience. If you're going to throw away such a large and rewarding part of the gameplay for the chance of having such a respawn, well... you clearly don't value it that much, and maybe you should just stick to gear grinding and mass murdering KOS.

Really, if you want meaningful and friendly human interaction and then you spend almost all of your time in banditry (what I've read from your post), I have about 0 sympathy for your "plight". Own your situation.

Also, guys camping an area are clearly different from guys running around said area looking for loot (in general). No, you shouldn't try to team up with campers and snipers - they're clearly not friendly. Also high-PvP areas where such camping would occur aren't the best places to meet COOP-interested players - that's just selection bias at work.

If you say that we all should shoow each other on sight, then what's the point of bloodbags ? If we can't even bloodbag anybody because we will get killed . And what's the point of anything that's supposed to be used in teamwork that rocket works hard on ?

You can bloodbag your friends.

Some extreme overreactions from people here, which just perpetuate this. "Random people do bad things to me, so I do bad things to random people." I guess this is the crux of societal breakdown, and it's nice to see the game accurately modeling that without even trying.

Edited by -Hawkeye-
  • Like 1

Huh? It's a sandbox, and there are no clear aims, especially not of this sort.

Well, shooting at someone who doesn't know you're there isn't really what I'd call an issue - it's shooting at people who do know you're there and are trying to be friendly or worse yet shooting at people who you've tried to befriend just to backstab. I do wish there were more consequences to those sorts of things, but it's quite hard to code for.

Well, the game was ruined because you (and your friends) reacted negatively to it. Your reaction defines the experience. If your isolationist-KOS approach happens AGAIN, it's because you have made that choice to eliminate a large part of the experience because you're worried someone's going to take all your grinding goodies away. Really, what's more important to you: grinding up some gear or human interaction? Well, the former it seems. That's fine, but don't then go off and blame the game because you don't want to lose your grinding goodies to the high variances of stranger interaction.

In the end, an m24/FAL/otherawesomegear is only useful for killing people. So if your approach is to not kill people that much, why would you care if you lost your high end gear? This is the thing, people get so focused on being MAXGEARED SPECOPS SUPERSOLDIER (whether this is you or not, I'm not sure) that they don't want to risk that status and the hours and hours of grind it took to get there. Or they want to KOS others to get there faster. You focus on the gear and forget the people you're playing with, and then you complain because the game/community isn't friendly enough... It's your problem as much as anyone else's, certainly not the devs'.

Really, if you want meaningful and friendly human interaction and then you spend almost all of your time in banditry (what I've read from your post), I have about 0 sympathy for your "plight". Own your situation.

Also, guys camping an area are clearly different from guys running around said area looking for loot (in general). No, you shouldn't try to team up with campers and snipers - they're clearly not friendly. Also high-PvP areas where such camping would occur aren't the best places to meet COOP-interested players - that's just selection bias at work.

You can bloodbag your friends.

Some extreme overreactions from people here, which just perpetuate this. "Random people do bad things to me, so I do bad things to random people." I guess this is the crux of societal breakdown, and it's nice to see the game accurately modeling that without even trying.

You vastly misunderstood or misinterpreted my post/s or didnt read them all(properly). 

Firstly, if I was to be so attached to my gear as you claim. Would I run around in cherno with friends, just walking(and I mean WALKING) on the streets like badasses just for the sake of it? Would we run around with clear intent to get killed, so we can start over? Would we really search for players to steal blood from in one of the biggest high traffic areas on the map with some pretty nasty sniper spots from the mod and alot of backyards where hostiles can hide in? I think you can answer this one yourself...

Secondly, sandbox? Minecraft is a sandbox game where you literally can do whatever the fuck you want, without real restrictions or intentions by the devs or the game or anything. Dayz is a zombie survival game. Sure, there is a certain sandbox aspect about it but that one only goes as far as that you can set your own, personal goals. The ultimate goal of a survival game is always to survive. Which leads me to the next one you clearly misunderstood. I wasnt spending most of my time being a bandit. I was spending most of my time running around in the woods, avoiding high traffic areas and only going to places like the airfields when it was dark. Ran in and out as fast as humanly possible and disappeared in the woods again. A bandit would actively look for ppl to kill or rob. We actively sought to avoid any contact with others cause we knew it would end in someone dying. When we met armed ppl ofc we shot them because with the general KoS mentality of dayz mod we wouldve been dead otherwise. We never ever touched unarmed ppl or new spawns. Simply ignored them or told them to go away and mind their own business cause we didnt trust them as far as to give them gear, since they probably wouldve turned out to rob our camp or shoot us the moment they get that weapon. This is different right now in the SA, FOR NOW. 

So, a guy camping cherno mall with a dinnerbell when you run in unarmed as a new spawn is bias at work cause I shouldve just starved instead of looking for food? A guy camping the Industrial building/silo in cherno with a sniper, picking off freshly spawned ppl who were just trying to grab a drink in cherno and then run off are bias at work? You clearly either want to misunderstand me or youre one of them and just looking for an excuse man...

And Mcroadkill. I dont know. It was just a thought. I cant really think of a proper system that would work, since all of them would require you to be online to actually defend something. And thats where the problems come in. Thats why I said it might not be a good idea afterall, even though it sounds pretty good in my head when I only think about it a little and not too much in detail.

• Like 1

The things is ATM you can't see the name of the person who killed you and where it came from. (sure I can hit "P" and see the players, but that's all)

Is it lame to ask for a servermessages that say playerX killed playerY or even a deathcam so you can find the sneaky sniper in the hill. "What goes around comes around"

For all you know PlayerX is killing ppl time after time

For it happening once by PlayerX "ok, haha you killed me", but when it's happening again and again by someone, then you're going "you got a 'can of whoop-ass' comming my friend" and you know his name so you can hunt him down (sort of).

But then again it has it's pro's and con's

@Xandariel

Yeah with every idea comes a new problem, it's not easy :)

But tonight I'm going to drop my heavy gear, going to travel light and going to tell you guys how it went. Going to try and 'meet' other people see how many times it works and how many times I die. As a social experiment :P

But I really think that if you don't look like a threat and look like you don't have anything worth taking, you are a step closer to get less KoS.

But still yesterday we had a couple that staked out the balota airfield and kept killing our clan mates even after trying to reason with them, we all logged in closed off the airport and went in to kill them....and guess what, they combat logged!

Edited by MCRoadkill
  • Like 1