Mallow88

How to not be killed on sight

I cannot possibly give you any more beans. Something appears to be wrong with the forum software.

• Like 2

Research about some "long range patrolling" to learn how to enter, leave, steak out an area, cover and concealment then next is "close quarter battle" like how SWAT does it to learn how to clear a building, room, safely enter and get out.

Learn some basic soldiering and you will be living a long time.

• Like 1

Avoid security violations. Always think about security whatever you do, even if you are picking up that can of beans on the floor. Pickup that beans facing the door and your weapon pointed to that direction also, not your back. Try to move prone behind windows when indoors so that it will be hard for you to be seen.

A bonus technique for standalone: If you are going to stake out a place, position yourself from where the sun is shining to make it difficult for the enemy to spot you due to the sun's rays but be careful to conceal yourself enough that your silhouette is not obvious.

• Like 6

A bonus technique for standalone: If you are going to stake out a place, position yourself from where the sun is shining to make it difficult for the enemy to spot you due to the sun's rays but be careful to conceal yourself enough that your silhouette is not obvious.

This. I've started using this. Something cool that the mod didn't have.

• Like 1

Also, don't forget your camo clothing and the abundance of trees that you can hide in.

I also find it pretty funny when people combat log, then complain about KoS. You realize that makes you worse than someone who kills on sight, right?

• Like 1

Some usefull advices in this thread actually =)

I can add some - one of the most visible moments is when you cross the road, try not to cross roads more than necessary in urban areas. Streets are usually straight and you are seen from a good distance. Stick to the back yards.

Take a moments to stand still while indoors and you have your back covered by wall. You'll rest and will have no heavy breathing blocking your hearing so you can listen to surroundings. I beleive more 1/3 of kills is when killer is following target and target just not listening to its surrounding. Not listening is like cutting 50% off perception for me.

In urban areas you can always check street from second floor windows - practically no one ever is looking at them. Dangerous moments is when you enter or when you leave the building. Check corners first.

Probably there are other advices, can't remember.

• Like 1

Make good use of the Q and E buttons. If you aren't playing in 3rd person yet, you really should start. You can see around corners in 3rd person without having to expose yourself.

• Like 1

If you are playing smart, you should usually be able to escape the situation before being killed. If not, you should at least be able to defend yourself reasonably well. 

Unfortunately, as the damage is pretty realistic.  If you are not the one to take the first shots, you're pretty much fucked.  Either you see the other guy first, or he spots you first and you're fucked.

I agree with the OP. The only times I've been killed thus far is whenever I get careless, as in when the potential highly trafficked area gets too tempting, without proper recon/stealth.

I'm generally always looking over my shoulder, scanning the horizon and open areas, and sticking well within tree lines when I can. I try to only exit a building the way I came in (since that's where I at least have some control, and perhaps anyone following me will not expect that). As mentioned by others, Q and E are probably being underestimated by many.

That being said, I have met friendly people, and I've yet to be killed on sight. Though I have been hacked to death with an axe, but at least the thugs had the common decency to handcuff and rob me first. ;)

I've never bothered to sign up for either the DayZ mod forums or this standalone forum, but I just wanted to say that this is poisoned logic.

Err... not this specifically. I actually agree with this, as someone who's played the ArmA (took me forever to not say Armed Assault) series for a few years now it's very important to have proper situaitonal awareness and make as little a target of yourself as you can reasonably manage.

With that said, the situation that comes out of what people usually intepret this logic as is a painful one. My first experience with DayZ was fairly early on in the development of the game (enough so that the Revolver was still the main weapon) and the first week of playing it was really something. There were a few talented bandits, a lot more groups of kind-hearted people, and even more horribly bugged zombies. In general, contact with someone was very cautious but there wasn't that urge to just raise your .357 and empty every chamber into the guy. Well, not much.

About two months later, I had quit DayZ. Why? Because that was at the height of the streamer boom, which brought on the mindset that is still seen to this day.

That logic is very simple - people are always looking to kill. If I cannot avoid a threat, I should eliminate a threat. And so people did for months on end, turning DayZ from a survival game to a survival game where we all roleplay sociopaths.

It's fun to get the opportunity to get a good kill, or taking on a bandit and barely pulling it off, or even getting killed by someone who just has better tactical sense than you. But when that's the only experiences you have in the game, you start wondering why you're even playing DayZ instead of just popping on some crappy deathmatch mod and calling it a day.

Also @Mallow, I will never feel right using 3rd person. It's essentially creating the same problem terrible third person cover shooters have and I never want to promote terrible third person cover shooters.

• Like 6

Make good use of the Q and E buttons. If you aren't playing in 3rd person yet, you really should start. You can see around corners in 3rd person without having to expose yourself.

That's for newbs who can't get killz *Whizz, P-tang* "YOU ARE DEAD"

I don't know if I fully agree with this. Certainly being stealthy and tactical will get you seen less, but I don't think it will decrease your chances of being killed on sight. By dressing and acting stealthy and pointing your gun at everything, you make yourself look like a threat. If you're jogging down the middle of the road, with a bright red backpack and nothing in your hands, they might let you pass.

That said, people adopting the high profile approach need to recognize that they'll put themselves in more situations where other people have to make that decision. Personally, I'd rather live my virtual life in the open than hide in the shadows, always checking my back, never trusting anyone.

Sadly I feel like a lot of people look at someone in a bright red backpack running in the open, and think they need to "teach him a lesson". They see the game as some kind of survival competition, and their job is to make it harder for other people. It's like that movie Demolition Man where all the criminals get unfrozen and run amok, 75% of the players act out the role of a psychopath killing machine.

Edited by bad_mojo
  • Like 2

My advice more or less for avoiding detection/playing solo: 

1. Never, no matter the circumstances, allow yourself to be overcome by a false sense of security. You are always in mortal danger. Your good luck can turn on you in an instant. 

2. Never break from cover or concealment unless you absolutely have to. When you have to, take the time you need to scan every direction from which you will be exposed. In general, try to keep at least one entire side of you in cover or defilade at all times. 

3. If you go around looking for trouble, you are going to find it; and eventually, you will bite off more than you can chew. For those of you who are new to the game, there are many squads of actual combat veterans who play this game, and they can surprise even the most hardcore and experienced gamers with their real life knowledge and team work skills. You will know when you find them, that is no joke. If you want to stay alive, never take making contact lightly. 

4. Be observant. When you enter an area, it should become clear whether anyone has been there and sometimes how recently they have been there. Even if it seems no one is there, never let down your guard and do your business quickly. 

5. Kill zombies as quickly and quietly as possible to avoid player detection. If you encounter a friendly player in a highly trafficked area who wants to stop and chat with you, tell him to get off direct and neutralize him immediately if he does not comply. 

6. The most important rule for me - when you first spawn, the world is your oyster. Absolutely none of the above applies when you have nothing to lose. Make a mad dash for anything you can get your hands on. :D

• Like 2

Well it is true, it becomes basic knowlegde.

Players will eventually learn how to play the game, they might get shot a couple times doing so...but you learn by doing (i hope)

- when you spawn, first prio is to find water and drink up like a fool (I did not get sick yet from drinking water from ponds or pumps, but that surely will come)

- don't trust anyone unless he is your RL friend, but even that is no guaranty

- if you see an other player try to avoid them, friends of mine have been ganked many times, give them water and food and they kill you afterwards

Im sorry for all you friendly players, but eventually you wil become a KoS player because you have been tricked, scammed and killed so many times by other players

The game just doesn't leave any other option ATM.

- avoid brightly coloured clothes like yellow raincoats, red helmets, white clothes, you only make that mistake once ROFL. so try to wear camo/green/dark clothes

- Avoid open fields

- Avoid walking on roads, but use them to navigate in the map

- Walk in the forrest line for cover

- Check your back

- Stop now and then and take a moment to check your surroundings, scanning the horizon for players

- Avoid using your gun for nothing, so use an axe on a Z

- And just like in the series, cities are a deathtrap go in and out

- Airfields and Mil Bases are high risk areas, be aware for campers and snipers

- make sure you have enough water for long hikes, and food ofcourse

- eat food on site, food in your backpack are rations for long hikes, that way you also save space for other stuff

- try not to hord stuff or be a hamster, i've seen players carry around the most idiotc stuff like rotten fruit and wooden logs and cooking pots wich take up a lot of space but do nothing.

If you have a few bandages you are alright, especially when you are geared up you dont seem to bleed so fast when a Z hits you.

Yes even I am running around with half a hospital on my back wich i'm going to dump real soon, all the IV kits, blood bags, seringes etc.

- if you come across a med kit or hardened yellow cases take hem, they are a 2 slot bonus, they use up 4 slots in your backpack but have 6 slots

and if all fails and you are spotted, run away like a scared little bitch. Run away zig zagging and not in a straight line for those sniper guys.

oh and avoid stupid deaths like falling off buildings and rocks, it's a real waste of time to recollect all your stuff.

Sorry if this is concidered a double post.

Edited by MCRoadkill
  • Like 3

Me and my squad have been using special tactics mentioned in this thread. One of them is a highly trained special forces police officer and supervises our moves. It's incredible how we follow up on formations, how we hide in the areas and how we approach and scout an area before getting into it. You'd be surprised how many people can be easily spotted if you play it carefully. And how many people you can avoid if you want to.

We were at NWAF south barracks and one guy just simply past us sprinting incredibly close while we were looking around. He didn't last a few seconds.

@OP: As for the combat logging comment. Yes, i've been combat logged three out of two times today. I don't complain. Even when one of those guys killed my mate after logging inside of a barrack (guess what was he doing), barricated in the bathroom as he looted my mate and left to another server. Sucks? Yep. Will it be fixed? Yes, so there's no point in complaining.

We kill every single person who seems like a potential threat, and that means: Fire arm on hands or melee while too close. I was at zelenogorsk a few hours ago, I saw a guy which had a mosin on his back. I had my M4 aiming up, he did not attempt anything stupid and so I didn't shot and told him to move on his way. At the same time this was happening, my brother was scouting an apartment and a guy with a hatchet walks up TOO near to him. He shot the hatchet guy instantly.

• Like 1

i've seen players carry around the most idiotc stuff like rotten fruit and wooden logs and cooking pots wich take up a lot of space but do nothing.

I carry around rotten fruit...it is actually far from useless. I try to avoid killing people whenever possible, so being able to handcuff someone and make them eat rotten fruit to get sick gives them immediate problems and could buy me some time to get clear. 

• Like 1

"Stop being retarded. If you don't want to play Monopoly the way it was designed to be played, learn how to play it our way. I am tired of countless threads made because people are pissed that everyone are playing it the way we want".

Seeing the amount of likes in this post makes me shiver how much people actually like to play DayZ as a "Competitive Open World Shooter with zombies". We are NOT retarded if we want the game to have as less KoS as humanly possible. I see where you are coming from, and your attitude just makes me sick. 

Whenever Dean actually listens and implements a lot of things that counter KoS to the point it's at bare minimum, I'll make sure I create a topic that says this :

" Stop being retarded. Stop hiding in the bushes on the top of the hill with that camo clothing of yours. Stop sneaking around the town without taking 30 seconds to think how dumb you look. It's a survival game, people aren't meant to KoS everyone for fun, so start playing it like one. "

Edited by LeoIvanov
  • Like 1

I think you're playing the wrong game, friend. You should check out Left for Dead 2