Sign in to follow this  
gesundheitk

Weapon and Ammunition Rarity (Discussion)

95 members have voted

1. 1. How would you feel about weapons and their ammunition being rare in this game?

• I am all for it. It would definitely help in gameplay.
    • I am completely against it. This would not help gameplay.
    • Other (please specify)

I don't want it to be incredibly hard to find ammo or guns. However, I think that now that we have single rounds, there should be far less ammo whenever you DO find it. As it is now, whenever you find any ammo it's in large groups; I'd prefer a handful of 5-10 rounds, not huge ammo boxes.

As well, I'd love for weapon condition to make a large difference in accuracy, as well as having other effects.

One of the reasons the AK series is renowned is because it is so easy to clean and care for, and so hard to damage. Perhaps the AK would almost never jam and have little difference between pristine and almost ruined condition compared to an M16, which would foul and become far less accurate at lower conditions. The AK is never going to be as accurate as the M16 series at top condition, but I think that it could stay almost the same regardless of its condition.

This makes for a trade-off: would you rather have a finicky but potentially accurate rifle that takes a lot of work to keep in shape, or a "good-enough", reliable weapon that you couldn't break if you tried?

Edited by Celt
  • Like 4

I don't want it to be incredibly hard to find ammo or guns. However, I think that now that we have single rounds, there should be far less ammo whenever you DO find it. As it is now, whenever you find any ammo it's in large groups; I'd prefer a handful of 5-10 rounds, not huge ammo boxes.

As well, I'd love for weapon condition to make a large difference in accuracy, as well as having other effects.

One of the reasons the AK series is renowned is because it is so easy to clean and care for, and so hard to damage. Perhaps the AK would almost never jam and have little difference between pristine and almost ruined condition compared to an M16, which would foul and become far less accurate at lower conditions. The AK is never going to be as accurate as the M16 series at top condition, but I think that it could stay almost the same regardless of its condition.

This makes for a trade-off: would you rather have a finicky but potentially accurate rifle that takes a lot of work to keep in shape, or a "good-enough", reliable weapon that you couldn't break if you tried?

I think you're probably thinking along the right lines here - whilst I can't speak for the man himself, it certainly seems like the sort of thing Rocket would be wanting to implement and be enthusiastic about.

I like your ideas, especially about the large amount of ammo we find. I think one of the problems is that atm all the magazines seem to be full when you find them. Especially for the double taped mags (which I think should have to be crafted and not found, and still require a reload to switch between each one, so in effect is really just an inventory space saver rather than an extra large mag) this is alot of ammo to find in one spot.

Today in the server, I came across 80x 7.62 rounds and 12x 5.56. 

Considering the power ratio, I think there should be balance fixes, rather than rarity fixes 

Though i don't want many military weapons into game, there is some sense in this, that they may be also in residential buildings. Some ex-USSR republics have relatively large paramilitary organizations, which members holds its weapons and ammunitions at home. Mostly they use the Swedish Ak4 (variant of G3 ), and also M14. Depends by the backstory, is this suitable also to the Chernarus or not.

My post on the subject from yesterday:

As I see it, the situation in DZSA currently is that there is a large surplus of weaponry (in before i can't find a gun, they are everywhere) and ammunition is mildly common but magazines are rare, especially for pistols. In my opinion this is a favourable situation, for the following reasons.

a) realism - (assuming we are keeping with the original idea of an equipment list heavily biased toward civilian weaponry) guns in Europe are actually quite common. Finland, Switzerland and Serbia all have very high levels of gun ownership per capita, the majority of them being civilian-military, sports or work guns. They are fairly cheap and easy to come by. In these countries, it is the ammunition that is heavily taxed and regulated. Territorial defence forces in Switzerland are forbidden from unsealing their box of ammunition but are able to openly carry their rifles all over. In Serbia, you can only purchase 60 rounds per rifle per year (also there are caliber restrictions). Presumably in the early days of the outbreak people would take their guns and ammo to the hills or whatever. With the majority of the population armed, extra guns could be discarded with ammunition being the real prize to hunt for.

b) atmospheric tension - imagine coming across another player on the road. You're armed, he's armed. You only have one bullet left for your AKM, but how does he know that? Conversely, how do you know if his gun is loaded or completely empty? Do you take the shot and hope to claim he and any ammo he may have, or do you back off and save your bullet for another time? Ever watch the Road, when Viggo Mortensen continuously counts his dwindling stock of bullets throughout the movie? In an environment when ammunition is such a commodity players will be forced to think twice about gunning down randoms and wasting their shots unless it makes them more vulnerable themselves. When firefights do break out it will add an extra dimension to the fight knowing that you are more likely than not going to be finishing the guy off with your trusty shovel.

c) levels the playing field - a mix of both really. The consequence of few guns and much ammunition will be the concentration of ranged power into the hands of a few bandits who can stomp around like walking munition dumps and shoot people at will with little fear of retaliation. When everyone only has two or three bullets each, or none at all, it prevents any one sniper from taking potshots into downtown Elektro without the certainty of a kill.

• Like 1

Rarity means nothing to a server hopper  :rolleyes:

There should be a single-shard server, like in WWIIOL...Unfortunately, we probably will not see it before the introduction of the new game engine.

It would be nice to find more guns(not like good guns or anything) but have it much harder to find ammunition(and possibly find guns that work and some that don't due to damage/wear of some sort). That way even if you do find a gun and it doesn't work/have no ammo for it, others wont know that. Can still effectively hold people up/keep people with melee weapons at a distance(as long as they don't call your bluff).

There's a reason they call the AK a poor-man's rifle; it's simple to use, easy to maintain, and has good stopping power. Also, the accuracy is not generally needed since the people who tend to use them are not well-trained and just spray as much ammunition as they can (Which is also readily available). 

That being said, any trained person is going to be much more effective with an AR-15 gun, as it will be much more accurate and accepts more custom parts (making it unique), but it does take a lot to maintain and does not necessarily have the same stopping power (A few shots from either gun will kill anyone, though). I do prefer AR-15 based guns because they generally weigh less, which would become a huge consideration when you're obviously going to be out scavenging/hunting/trading, and .223s are a little more common than 7.62x39mm here in the States. 

That's what makes the post-apocalypse interesting, because one-hundred years from now the M4A1 is going to be a rare gun, whether we'll be saying: "I have this vintage M4A1 to go alongside my pulse rifle" or; "I'm so lucky that I've been able to keep this M4A1 working for this many years in all of this dust"