Sign in to follow this  
gorillaCHEEZ

How about a Sleeping System in order to save Character?

Instead of just logging out anywhere, require players to go to sleep.  That would not only add an extra element of difficulty, but also realism.  Players can sleep in beds, cots, in tents, or on portable sleeping mats.  In order to save your character and all his equipment, that's what he must do.  It can be a 10-20 second sleep process followed by a log out screen.  I believe this would reasonably limit server hopping and eliminate combat logging. 

So what if someone disconnects (combat log or internet issues)?  Instead of completely erasing his character, have it remain in the exact location it was at during the last point of connection.  Someone combat logs during a firefight, and his body remains idle until he returns.  Someone disconnects from internet issues, and his body remains idle until he returns.

Also, when characters die, either one of the two should happen:
1) body remains at death location until server reset
2) all gear drops to the ground

Current death with all lost loot just isn't working.  Please let me know what you think and tell me if my idea sucks.  Probably won't be implemented, but I think it would be awesome.

EDIT:  Unlike RUST, your character will not persist if you sleep.  Only if you combat log or randomly D/C would your character persist in the world.  Sleeping would safely secure your gear.  This idea does not require 24/7 character protection. 

Edited by gorillaCHEEZ
  • Like 3

10-15 seconds sleeping system ? It's a real-time game, so sleeping would have to be like in real life. I like the idea of sleeping tho. Going to sleep when logging out and still being in the game as a sleeping guy, lol, that sounds funny. 

• Like 1

Fuck that, you've been playing too much Rust.  Not everyone can play 24/7 to protect your character.  This would make exploring a huge pain in the ass.  Seriously, I fucking hate you because of this post.

Edited by Inception.
Abusive behaviour is not tolerated. User warned.

I wouldnt mind seeing something like this happen... you can only exit the game if you are near a bed or cot, untill you find a sleeping bag or tent then you can log out in any location as long as you set up your sleeping bag/tent. not a bad idea at all I think... 

it would also help with the combat loggers and server hoppers, because you would have to go into your inventory and tell your character to set up your sleeping bag THEN log out...

and if you dont use a bed or sleeping bag you have some sort of repercussion, maybe not death but when you log back in your have lost almost all your blood or some of your gear...

I think this might be my favorite idea to cure S.Hoppers and C.Loggers!!!

I agree that there should definitely be a better character saving model, i've respawned and lost all my gear when joining a server for no reason too many times

I think if you could place a tent and sleep in it when you log out overnight, then log in the next day on whatever server and wake up in the tent would be pretty sweet.

Though I think the tent and yourself should still vanish after logging out, but then also logging with this would add immersion for players. There could also be a system If you fall asleep outside you could have a chance of catching a cold or whatnot, but if you log inside a building or tent you will remain warm and in cover from the effects of nature.

Anyways this is just my thoughts on a camping/immersion system.

Edited by DarkEquinox
  • Like 1

When you sleep, your character would leave the game.  It wouldnt' be the same as a random disconnect.  Sleeping would be the only way to LEAVE the game. 

• Like 1

I suggested this back in the mod. I really like the idea but there's some issues with it. Mainly what happens when a player didn't sleep but also didn't combat log.(losing connection, server restart)

As for the punishments, I think it should be something to do with your health. If you don't sleep, you start sick, hungry and thirsty. To simulate sleeping on the open ground. Maybe depending on where you leave, it would change the severity. So if you had to leave and no time to sleep, you could duck into a building and save yourself a bit of punishment.

I think the key is to implement this as a sleeping mechanic rather than an anti-combat logging thing. Otherwise players will hate it and it'll be boring like the logout timer in the mod. I am surprised such a HUGE part of survival isn't part of DayZ yet. You can't watch any type of survival video without them talking about sleep arrangements. I guess they don't have alt-f4.

Edited by bad_mojo
  • Like 1

Sleeping should work like how it is when you are unconscious. I'd assume the time you get hungry and thirsty from the point of being full should be the same time it'd take to wake up from a full rest.

I suggested this back in the mod. I really like the idea but there's some issues with it. Mainly what happens when a player didn't sleep but also didn't combat log.(losing connection, server restart)

As for the punishments, I think it should be something to do with your health. If you don't sleep, you start sick, hungry and thirsty. To simulate sleeping on the open ground. Maybe depending on where you leave, it would change the severity. So if you had to leave and no time to sleep, you could duck into a building and save yourself a bit of punishment.

I think the key is to implement this as a sleeping mechanic rather than an anti-combat logging thing. Otherwise players will hate it and it'll be boring like the logout timer in the mod. I surprised such a HUGE part of survival isn't part of DayZ yet. You can't watch any type of survival video without them talking about sleep arrangements. I guess they don't have alt-f4.

In my suggestion, the player is not punished for leaving.  Simply, his character model remains where he last stood when leaving the game.  If server reset, character would spawn in last location, until player resumed control.

I can dig sleep related mechanics that affect  your character. More camping related gear could affect your rest status. Having a sleeping bag and a tent could have a beneficial effect such as staving off hunger and thirst a little longer, or perhaps a steadier aim with both melee weapons and firearms. If you don't have a sleeping bag, you could find a couch or a bed in one of the towns or cities.

On the flipside, if you don't log with a sleeping bag or at a couch or bed, it negatively affects your status by making you hungry more quickly, or making your hands unsteady.

In my suggestion, the player is not punished for leaving.  Simply, his character model remains where he last stood when leaving the game.  If server reset, character would spawn in last location, until player resumed control.

I would hate a system like this. That basically means if I get disconnected from the server, or it restarts, and I don't have the time to sit around waiting for it to start back up or my internet to work again, then I'm punished by having my character sit in-game until I return? No thanks. Too many situations where that would kill players unfairly.

The real problem with keeping a character in-game is it's not a good way to simulate anything. Even if you gave them a shelter, sleeping bag and all the animations in the world. Keeping a character online after they've left is dumb because we can all wake up when we hear a noise. Sleeping should be preparing your place to sleep, laying down for 60seconds, getting the ability to click exit, then your character disappears.

I would hate a system like this. That basically means if I get disconnected from the server, or it restarts, and I don't have the time to sit around waiting for it to start back up or my internet to work again, then I'm punished by having my character sit in-game until I return? No thanks. Too many situations where that would kill players unfairly.

The real problem with keeping a character in-game is it's not a good way to simulate anything. Even if you gave them a shelter, sleeping bag and all the animations in the world. Keeping a character online after they've left is dumb because we can all wake up when we hear a noise. Sleeping should be preparing your place to sleep, laying down for 60seconds, getting the ability to click exit, then your character disappears.

that's what I suggested.  Did you read before commenting?

It's a solid idea except for how rough it would be on players who have bad connections, or for situations where people have to log off in a hurry. Say someone geared thinks they have time to play, logs on, and then gets slapped on the hand by the old ball and chain and is told to get off because of a family obligation, or the power/internet drops out. You lose EVERYTHING and for no reason (assuming someone finds your body, which in many cases they would)

• Like 1

It's a solid idea except for how rough it would be on players who have bad connections, or for situations where people have to log off in a hurry. Say someone geared thinks they have time to play, logs on, and then gets slapped on the hand by the old ball and chain and is told to get off because of a family obligation, or the power/internet drops out. You lose EVERYTHING and for no reason (assuming someone finds your body, which in many cases they would)

The map is 15km x 15km.  The chances that someone would stumble upon you in a 40-man server (if full) is unlikely unless you're in a high traffic area.  You could lay beneath a pine tree and be practically invisible.  Hmm, but the characters would need to be immune to zombie attacks or invisible to zombies.

that's what I suggested.  Did you read before commenting?

I did, it's your punishments I dislike. I don't think characters should be sitting in-game as punishment for not sleeping.

How about this:

1) To leave the game world properly you have to go to sleep by pressing a button assignet to this action. After this appears a window that informs you that you will be logged out in set amount of time which is varies depending on few factors.

2) If you have a sleeping bag, using it in the inventory screen places it on the ground near you. Interacting with it gives you an option to go to sleep which allows you to log out in 10 seconds timer. If you alt+f4 during this time it will leave your character in game world for this amount of time.

2) If you go to sleep under the open skies it allows you to log out in 20 seconds timer. If you alt+f4 during this time it will leave your character in game world for this amount of time. You might suffer negative effects such as low body temperature, hunger or thirst when you log back in more than 1 hour. You will suffer less of these effects if you log out under a roof without sleeping bag or in a sleeping bag outdoors. You don't suffer them at all if you sleep in a sleeping bag under a roof. Your character can not die while you logged out because of these penalties (starvation, dehydration, hypothermia)

3) If you logout by alt+f4 (combat log or disconnection by any other reasons) your character stays in the game world for 30 seconds vulnerable to the game events and you will suffer penalties of sleeping outdoors without sleeping bag when you log back in more than 1 hour.

4) Logging out by alt+f4 or disconnection set the 5 minutes timer. You won't be able to log back in during this time.

I guess this doesn't punish players much in situations when disconnection happens accidently, and make combat loggers think twice before leaving the game in combat mode. It also gives more realistic feel of the game world and your character.

Edited by Betweenaduck

I honestly think, no offense, this is a horrible idea. This is a video game, and people have other stuff to do. Sometimes people have to stop playing, and they shouldn't be penalized for that.

Theres no problem for if you have to log quickly....theres hundreds of enterable houses with beds that you could just run to....wait the few seconds while you fall asleep then log out. I really like this idea, adds immersion and completly stops combat logging. Also helps against server hoppers if it takes say 15 secs to go asleep....then should take 15 to wake up and get outa the bed. So if you did it in the baracks then as you wake theres 15 seconds for the player thats there to react. Maybe even make em yawn when they wake as an audiable que to the player that someone logged on really close and will be combat ready within the next 15 seconds.

This idea would acctually make me want to play public servers more, iv always gone for private hives because of ghosting server hopping. This is the first time youl see me say id like to play on pub servers and its this idea that makes me want to! have some beans!

Edited by Karmaterror

I honestly think, no offense, this is a horrible idea. This is a video game, and people have other stuff to do. Sometimes people have to stop playing, and they shouldn't be penalized for that.

Thank you for your opinion.

I honestly think that there have to be rules that everyone should follow to prevent chaos such as combat logging, teleporting via server hopping etc. I would like to think that I suggested more or less reasonable solution. I don't mean ultimate and only possible solution but it could be considered as an option. And btw this should be just another game rule if you play the game fair, It supposed to be punishment only in case of abusement of game mechanics. You don't think of loosing all your gear in case of death as of punishment for being bad at this game, don't you? As I see it (sleeping mechanic) this is just another part of the game along with starving, being sick or get killed.

p.s. Yes I know that CbtLog and Server hooping most definitely will be fixed in upcoming patch. :)

Theres no problem for if you have to log quickly....theres hundreds of enterable houses with beds that you could just run to....wait the few seconds while you fall asleep then log out. I really like this idea, adds immersion and completly stops combat logging. Also helps against server hoppers if it takes say 15 secs to go asleep....then should take 15 to wake up and get outa the bed. So if you did it in the baracks then as you wake theres 15 seconds for the player thats there to react. Maybe even make em yawn when they wake as an audiable que to the player that someone logged on really close and will be combat ready within the next 15 seconds.

This idea would acctually make me want to play public servers more, iv always gone for private hives because of ghosting server hopping. This is the first time youl see me say id like to play on pub servers and its this idea that makes me want to! have some beans!

Thank you, mate. I appreciate your oppinion :)

Perhaps dev will solve those temporary problems in more efficient and elegant way than we think. Anyway I'm sure they'll polish their game make it really good by the end of the next year.

Edited by Betweenaduck