LeoIvanov

Discussion : KoS Mentality and how to keep it to minimum

1 : Why play Dayz pvp, when you can play something else like project reality?(bf2)

Must we go over this every day? Why play DayZ PvE when you can play something else? Because DayZ is awesome, that's why.

2 : All the anticipation, fear, excitement etc is gone because its just "kill, be killed, respawn, get gun, kill again"

What are you afraid of if not getting killed? What is your source of "fear and excitement" if players don't try to murder you?

I posted a possible solution to penalise constant spawn killers and deathmatchers but keep banditary relatively intact

Did you also establish a completely arbitrary and goofy distinction between "deathmatching" and "banditry?"

People jump on you because every one of these suggestions is exactly the same amount of bullshit. "PvP should happen, but only in the ways and for the reasons I like. Not for reasons other people like."

What are you afraid of if not getting killed? What is your source of "fear and excitement" if players don't try to murder you?

The main enemy in the game - zombies, starvation, dehydration, AND other players

Must we go over this every day? Why play DayZ PvE when you can play something else? Because DayZ is awesome, that's why.

Did you also establish a completely arbitrary and goofy distinction between "deathmatching" and "banditry?"

People jump on you because every one of these suggestions is exactly the same amount of bullshit. "PvP should happen, but only in the ways and for the reasons I like. Not for reasons other people like."

I'm not sure you have understood, but to make the point again, why play deathmatch in dayz when there are better games suited to a hardcore player?

And no, there is no fear and excitement deathmatching in a game meant for atmosphere, just regular pvp satisfaction if that is what your looking for. You've missed the point in relation to "kill, be killed, respawn, get gun, kill again", instead of the unknown in coming across another player, especially sighting somebody better armed than you.

I'm not sure you have understood, but to make the point again, why play deathmatch in dayz when there are better games suited to a hardcore player?

I understood. It's just a stupid question. I play DayZ because I like it. I disagree there are better games for what I want to do. Killing people in DayZ is more fun than killing people in other games.

And no, there is no fear and excitement deathmatching in a game meant for atmosphere

Okay. What the hell is a "game meant for atmosphere?" It's not a goddamn aromatherapy candle.

I'm plenty scared and excited when I play. I hate dying. It's one of the reasons I kill people so quickly when I see them, but there's always a chance they will see me first. Very scary and exciting if you ask me.

You've missed the point in relation to "kill, be killed, respawn, get gun, kill again",

I didn't miss it, it's just a stupid point. There's a lot more to it than that. 

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby

Really no point in discussing this.

Only way to stop KOS is to take out all weapons.

We are going to kill each other on sight until the end of time.

Okay, so you have more fun deathmatching in Dayz, fair enough, good for you.

But the rest of what you have to say is pure shit. What is a game meant for atmosphere? well, the anticipation of who or what you are going to come across, the adventure of finding the gear, the atmosphere of finding a sleepy little town and discovering your not the first to be here, the fear of being under attack, being chased by zombies, holding someone up, yourself being heldup, the " OH FUCK " of being killed, etc etc

If people just turn it into a plain free for all, how can you possibly get scared? You spawn, get a gun ASAP, kill, be killed, repeat, i dont know how you can get engrossed to point your feeling "scared and excited". Your attitude speaks volumes.

Well one thing is for sure; Dean did not intend the game to be kos all the time; he has mentioned this many times and implemented the loot damage system. Dean also has a clear idea of want he wants the game to be and does not always listen to the millions of different directions people want him to take the game in. This was evident in the way he delayed the game for a year despite people crying and getting mad. Kos will be fixed and the people that kos all the time because they can will leave. Some people that kos all the time have already said they would leave, on this forum.

Edited by theysaid...

Well one thing is for sure; Dean did not intend the game to be kos all the time

Right, which it's not. Obviously. Look around the forums at all the people who say they don't KoS. Do those people not exist, or are you calling them all liars?

Kos will be fixed

What do you mean by "fixed?" 

the people that kos all the time because they can will leave.

I really hope you don't actually believe that's going to happen, because you're going to be sorely disappointed. Yes, Dean wants to add more options to the game to encourage people to do things besides kill each other, and many will of course take these options, but Dean is not going to "fix" KoS and these players are always going to be around trying to murder you. Get used to it now because it's not ever going away. Ever.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby

I was just sighting what someone that liked to kos all the time had already said. He said, them along with everyone else would leave.

Kos will always be in the game but it wont be death match like it is now. If or when a penalty for excesive kos is implemented a lot of the death matchers will leave.
I know for a fact that more people subscribe to kos than not; play dayz for a few hours, read the forums. No, I am not calling them liars.
The idea is not to eliminate kos but to moderate/control kos to a reasonable extent.

Edited by theysaid...

I hope they will change things soon, because we have so many new players right now buying DayZ for the first time, they will forever remember DayZ as a PvP deathmatch like CoD or BF, which is totally wrong

Edited by Gdaddy22
  • Like 1

I personally like the way it is as right now, It makes more of a challenge for someone who is a hero like me :D

I had a friend who build a beutiful base in epoch he called it warriors den...he was a hero who called people to come to base so he can feed hem help them etc..everytime he annonaunced it and marked on map everybody will come bandits ,suvavors ,bambis,heros..and all time many people die aroud base..place was more popular then cherno...KoS..is huge part of game...even if you put less firearms    ..they will use axe...KoS isTHE VERY IMPORTANT part of game...that tension...when u fly helly worth one breefcase..to give lift to 3 unknown guys asking on it on chat...i can not see this in many games nowdays...sorry for my epoch references..in standalone...KoS ing people...is way simplier and more honest aproach then roleplayng douchebags(devildog gamer etc) you can meet time to time...plz guys for god sake do not stop KoS ever...

I love this for KOS :D

Stabbed one bloke yesterday to death with a knife and axed 3 dudes (on separate occasions) 2 had m4's and 1 had a mosin.

But i did get any loot because every single body disappeared after death.. WTF :(

plz guys for god sake do not stop KoS ever...

This thread is not about eliminating kos. It is about moderating kos to a reasonable extent; controlling the griefers to an extent.

Eve online is the only game that has a good approach in allowing people to do whatever they want because there are set zones, high security to low security. Players are fairly safe in high security areas; if someone killes you in high sec the killer will be killed quickly by police. This controls pvp, creating secure, safe areas but at the same time allows pvp to take place in the uncontrolled, low sec areas.

Edited by theysaid...

This thread is not about eliminating kos. It is about moderating kos to a reasonable extent; controlling the griefers to an extent.

"Reasonable," of course, as defined by people who hate it. 

Eve online is the only game that has a good approach in allowing people to do whatever they want because there are set zones, high security to low security. Players are fairly safe in high security areas; if someone killes you in high sec the killer will be killed quickly by police. This controls pvp, creating secure, safe areas but at the same time allows pvp to take place in the uncontrolled, low sec areas.

Chernarus is 0.0 space, friend. No CONCORD here, sorry.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby

Chernarus is 0.0 space, friend. No CONCORD here, sorry.

And I'm completely fine with that :) that's what makes the game fun. There are many other places to gather civilian loot from just as good if not better than cherno becuase those cities are not looted out like cherno is.

If I want to get into a fight I go to cherno. And with the mosin out performing the m4 at the moment there is no reason to visit the military installations or airfields other than for the long range scope and hunter backpack.

But I could see having a few zones with different security levels working fairly well; it would make the game more interactive and encourage communication, as the game was intended.

I dont't hate kos, but excessive kos should be controlled to a reasonable extent as defined by the game developer.

Edited by theysaid...

Don't tell me how to live my life.

No one is telling you how to live your life; you voluntarily viewed and posted in this thread.

It's simply a discussion/debate.

Edited by theysaid...

Okay, so you have more fun deathmatching in Dayz, fair enough, good for you.

But the rest of what you have to say is pure shit. What is a game meant for atmosphere? well, the anticipation of who or what you are going to come across, the adventure of finding the gear, the atmosphere of finding a sleepy little town and discovering your not the first to be here, the fear of being under attack, being chased by zombies, holding someone up, yourself being heldup, the " OH FUCK " of being killed, etc etc

If people just turn it into a plain free for all, how can you possibly get scared? You spawn, get a gun ASAP, kill, be killed, repeat, i dont know how you can get engrossed to point your feeling "scared and excited". Your attitude speaks volumes.

dont waste ur time...

what your trying to get across is clearly above his paygrade..

• Like 2

While I do appreciate your well-thought topic, I mean I really do appreciate it :)

It's just that there will never be a way to completely stop the KoS mentality unless we take the fundamentals of combat away which would displease everyone, including the ones who are victims of it.

I believe the only ways to make it less of an issue is if there was more features implemented to keep your mind off of it such as farming, building, fishing and such. The most important one I think could be heavily focused on is the hunting aspect. Hunting should require both a challenge to the survivor but something to have a thrill from and a reward.

All debate aside, Merry Christmas! :)

Hope you all are having a good one.

Edited by theysaid...

DayZ is so special because it is Human Nature Simulator. 

It simulates a state of nature, an anarchy, where people can do whatever they want. It simulates stakes, you can gain or lose a lot of time and effort. 

Anything that makes DayZ a better and more realistic simulator DayZ a better game. 

Anything that makes it less realistic makes it a worse game. Raising the stakes on dying makes it more realistic. But dying is dying, it doesn't matter how or why you die, you're still dead. 

DayZ SHOULDN'T BE ALL ABOUT PvP!

I totally agree, this is a Slavic nature, don't kill, To many youngsters or mentally twisted people just kill your in game avatar, because then can.

The game mechanic should introduce black marks for every kill a player makes, thus when loging to the server, you can see the KoSer lurking for a prey.

I am a big fan of stalker, so i played Rust as well, everywhere is a game console mentality, gear up, kill.

There is not a single one game or simulation allowing a human cooperation mode, to rebuild the lost world.

Or humanity died out among the modern people of the world.