bad_mojo (DayZ)

Does killing make you a killer?

Let me start by saying I like bandits and PVP, everyone is free to play their game the way they want. Those people add a lot to my game even if it's vastly different than theirs.

As someone who barely ever killed in the MOD and have yet to raise a hand to anyone in the standalone, it's hard for me to understand the mind of my enemy. I want to know if the really hardcore killers out there become desensitized over time. Maybe you started by defending yourself, but after getting some blood on your hands things escalated and got out of control? Maybe you're just playing a game and don't feel like the kills even matter?

My question being, does death and killing still hold weight with you? Do you react to your friend being murdered? Do you fear the bullet? Has the bloodlust taken over and you're a cold blooded killer as they would say?

Edited by bad_mojo

Usually most people are very friendly when they're new, as they play longer and longer they see that most people kill each other, so they just do what the rest is doing, unless they were born to be heroes.

I don't think it is so much about desensitization. Killing, in games, is so heavily abstracted that I doubt it registers in the same way. Look at the issues faced by returning soldiers, and compare that to the average gamer.

In my opinion, it's more about adaptation. Players see the amount of killing, and experience a lot of it first hand, and so start striking preemptively.

D2: I'm glad we have you! I was always wondering how the game was meant to be played, and now I know.

It makes you a retard who doesn't know how the game is played.

^^ I must be one of those :D

I suspect that for most of us the desire to kill ebbs and flows with our mood and recent events.

I know that for me, if I get killed after a good run I'm pretty pissed off. I'll go looking to kill someone after I respawn to blow off steam (typically never do though).

There's a lot of dicks in the world, so goes with DayZ. I take a lot of satisfaction in killing those guys. They deserve it and they're out to kill me too so it is self defense.

Maybe OP doesn't mean self-defense killing? Not sure, cuz I wouldn't consider that murder but if you plan on surviving awhile it is inevitable you will be doing a lot of killing for self defense.

By definition? Yes.

Unless you want to be a KoS'er, I would suggest walking that fine line between suspicion and trusting. For example: If somebody yells 'friendly' don't shoot them immediately, but don't trust them completely yet either. If you ask whether somebody is friendly and don't get a response in voip or chat, then shooting them or running away is completely alright. Remember being a bandit doesn't necessarily mean that you NEED to kill everyone. Just take what you want/need and leave them with their life (its much better than starting all over). Hope that helps!

Edit: I play the game a lot like I live..I try to be a good guy, but shit happens and I still have to worry about myself foremost. But everyone has different playstyles.

Edited by sess130

1. Read The Game manual, and other information about the game.

2.  After doing 1. You should know that killing other players are retarded.

3. After doing 2. Don't go full retard and kill someone just becuase you want to.

4. Following 3. Play the game as it was meant to be played, And have a good time.

- Don't bullshit around saying that if it was in real life, blablabla... This is a game, people just kill KoS, or troll you.. if we had a zombie apocalypse, such killings would not occur, it would be slavery or something close to that, or threaths people stealing your items, not killing - Some might but they're also fucked.. All in All, don't use that In real life shit here, This is a Game and only retarded, idiotic self-centered arseholes will kill you.

- SURVIVE ! - KILL THE ZOMBIES ! - BUILD A BASE ! - TEAM UP ! - DO SOME RP = ROLEPLAYING !

Before coming with the excuse that  there is nothing to do... you bought the fucking game in an alpha stage, shut the fuck up and deal with it, they told you... idiot. Gives you no reason to kill other players.

• Like 1

3. After doing 2. Don't go full retard and kill someone just becuase you want to.

4. Following 3. Play the game as it was meant to be played, And have a good time.

- Don't bullshit around saying that if it was in real life, blablabla... This is a game, people just kill KoS, or troll you.. if we had a zombie apocalypse, such killings would not occur, it would be slavery or something close to that, or threaths people stealing your items, not killing - Some might but they're also fucked.. All in All, don't use that In real life shit here, This is a Game and only retarded, idiotic self-centered arseholes will kill you.

- SURVIVE ! - KILL THE ZOMBIES ! - BUILD A BASE ! - TEAM UP ! - DO SOME RP = ROLEPLAYING !

Before coming with the excuse that  there is nothing to do... you bought the fucking game in an alpha stage, shut the fuck up and deal with it, they told you... idiot. Gives you no reason to kill other players.

That ^^

DAYZ "IT'S MY STORY"     >>>NOT YOURS :P

K55hvWe.gif

I love all the cry babies about KoS. I usually don't shoot unarmed dudes, but this thread makes me want to log in and shoot a couple fresh spawns.

• Like 1

I love all the cry babies about KoS. I usually don't shoot unarmed dudes, but this thread makes me want to log in and shoot a couple fresh spawns.

Please ban this tard from the game. Actually.. I demand and request that you ban this tard. Like my post to support this demand/request. !

- PS. If he starts whining about how he paid for it, and want a refund, I'll just purchase another sample of the game, and even it all up, please consider this <3

Edited by D2-Hawk
  • Like 1

Please ban this tard from the game. Actually.. I demand and request that you ban this tard. Like my post to support this demand/request. !

- PS. If he starts whining about how he paid for it, and want a refund, I'll just purchase another sample of the game, and even it all up, please consider this <3

Ouch

Your hate runs deep :/

Chill out bro :D

dMer2rR.gif

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." -Ernest Hemingway

Edited by grifims
  • Like 1

I have no remorse for killing anyone, until I hear their voice. 

Hearing someone speak takes away the abstractness of the player and makes it feel human, and sometimes it hurts to put them down. If they don't speak i can unload an m4 clip and eat them for all I care. 

I have to say... In the MOD I killed 2 people not in self defense, e.g. cold digital murder. The first one was April before last (yes, been playing that long) and I could describe in detail the entire event still.  The second was not very long after that. I have had many a firefight kills (hero survivor and bandits), all those were in self defense. Now comes the SA and it really seems that I have lost all compunction about just offing whomever I come across. In the MOD (when I first started playing) it took some 15-30 minutes just to get connected/spawned in. Between that (knowing what a pain it was getting in) and knowing the time and effort to get geared up, I just always felt really bad about just killing players. I chose the hero play style. I am more of a killer in SA I think more because of a) most everyone I have come across in SA has attacked me first, but more so b) gearing up is literally nothing. I don't like what I have become. Next server wipe I will go back to being a hero, but until then I will just have to get all the bandit out of me... B)

I never kill, I heal. I find this more of a challenge to help than kill.

Much more rewarding too. Bandits show another side after being treated by me in game. Its a strange one how they would be fine with you after they can kill mercilessly.

Like in RL I do in game.