Viperocraft

Cant hit with Mosin 9130

I have mosin with long range scope but at the big ranges it have like 100m scatter(yes im using pageup and pagedown).So question is: what is maximum range for mosin?

this gun I have tested extensively, I have wasted hours firing this weapon.. it's dead on accurate at 400 - 700 yards.. I found that 800-900 yards can be abit iffy though mainly because at that range even the almost unnoticeable sway can set your shot off by 1 or 2 meters.. however after practice I frequently make shots 800-900 yards so a little over half a mile is max range.. ( I always use bipod and prone when firing this weapon)

I think where alot of people run into problems is there not zeroing correctly.. like say they look out and go "Jeez thats along way out must be 800 yards" when reality it's more like 400 :(

would be nice to see the long range scope have a range finder decal on it.. (maybe as a different version of the same scope, like some long range scopes might have a range finder other might not)

Edited by MarcusB

this gun I have tested extensively, I have wasted hours firing this weapon.. it's dead on accurate at 400 - 700 yards.. I found that 800-900 yards can be abit iffy though mainly because at that range even the almost unnoticeable sway can set your shot off by 1 or 2 meters.. however after practice I frequently make shots 800-900 yards so a little over half a mile is max range.. ( I always use bipod and prone when firing this weapon)

I think where alot of people run into problems is there not zeroing correctly.. like say they look out and go "Jeez thats along way out must be 800 yards" when reality it's more like 400 :(

would be nice to see the long range scope have a range finder decal on it.. (maybe as a different version of the same scope, like some long range scopes might have a range finder other might not)

Exactly this. Distances are not always like they seem in this game. Something cam look like its very far away, but its not.

You can practice in arma 2 custom missions if you have the game, it takes some getting used to but i can now tell the distance with almost 100% accuracy after years of playing the game and the mod

Whats the damage on the scope like?

If its damaged it'll end up with silly spread, but the better its health is the more accurate it is.

Longest range kill I've gotten with reliable accuracy (with a "very damaged" scope) was about 300-500 meters, and only because I had a significant height advantage to a slow-moving target. I'd suggest (even with scope) not to bother shooting at anyone past 400 meters unless they've shot at you first.

I practice right n DayZ SA; whenever I go to airfields or have nice views over cities/towns and I can see Zombies/players threw my scope.. Airfields I like the best, I can perch out half a mile of some airfields and they can have 6 or more zombies.. this is where I got my main practice with the mosin and +700 yard shooting.. at this range even if you miss the zombies aren't alerted because your so far out they can't hear it. 

(clause: I only do this when I'm perfectly satisfied I'm alone and my server population drops to sub 5 people, normally early mornings and there isn't a lot else to do. Don't get yourself shot being stupid)

I've killed a guy at about 600 meters with the long range scope in ruined condition. Target was standing still, shooting at my friends. The travel time also is totally whack, I was testing at 400 meters and it takes over one full second to impact, making it ridiculously difficult to hit moving targets. The 1891/30 has a muzzle velocity of at least 800 m/s, do the math.

Edited by lifelonghalo

How do you zero in your gun and tell the ranges?

How do you zero in your gun and tell the ranges?

Page up/Page down. Eyeball it. Hopefully you're an experienced shooter. Even so, I always overestimate ranges. Don't estimate while zooming, it messes me up a lot, I usually mistake the target for an extra hundred meters and hit them in the neck while aiming center of mass. It's easier to zero for a shorter range and aim for the head. The scope needs mil dots.

Edited by lifelonghalo
  • Like 1