Sign in to follow this  
OfficerFriendly (DayZ)

Anybody getting much action? If so, where?

Hey all, curious about your experiences so far in the standalone. I logged quite a bit of time in the mod and I've applied what I know to the SA - though it doesn't seem to hold true anymore.

I expected to encounter more armed groups at neaf, nwaf, the military base south of it and zelenogorsk but that hasn't been the case at all.

I don't have much interest in shooting fresh spawns or poorly geared characters and I seldom find myself in need of any gear or consumables unless I get sick or something so the coast isn't very appealing to me. Is the only dicey spot on the map balota now? Loving the game but I've only had one engagement with armed players who weren't combat loggers or server hoppers in like 20 hours of game play.

Where have you guys found yourselves some trouble?

Try Balota. Tons of people go there. I guess it's a good place to gear up. I go everywhere, even after Im geared. Maybe I'll see you on the field some day,

The first friendly person was in Balotta. Died in Cherno because of bandits. Try somewhere in between.

My clan has moved to SA and almost all of us have a lot of experience in the mod.  

The main differences we have seen thus far are:

1) Map 'density' has been increased so less dead areas of the map means a server with 40 people online will have fewer encounters with other random players then a 40 person mod server.  I love this because the old flash-points of firehouse/grocery store/barracks are no longer the only flash-points and it spreads the map out while giving a group the ability to learn a part of the map by heart and not be forced to venture to specific locations for needed supplies.

2) The current weapons do not have the long-range accuracy of the mod's weapons.  This means fewer long-range encounters and almost no sniping past 400m.

Edited by MasterSith

The map density is definitely a factor. I remember watching a town for 3 minutes and generally if there was anyone around you'd see them moving between key spots. Now you can pass through elektro and it can feel like it's deserted. I suppose everyones spending most of their time in houses. Hah

I've encountered a few lonewolves and a squad at the NW airfield. Everyone's been surprisingly friendly up there though. Probably because I'm super cool.

Edited by wetspot

Keep in mind Rocket has repeatedly said he is aiming for 150 person servers.  This should bring the frequency of encounters back to mod levels although is more random and unpredictable areas since it is relying on sheer numbers rather then specific locations.

I am also curious to see if downed helicopters get re-implemented.  They would always be hot spots if they spawn loot that can only be found there, like the mod did.

Vybor

the fact its nearish a spawn--novy---near NWAF---has a grocery store is a semi large town with an office building as well make it a huge traffic spot for people heading up to NWAF coming from the military camp either north of Kamenka or from the military base southeast of Vybor itself looking for food etc before continuing on.

Add in the fact that some schmuck incorrectly labeled a hospital being there, get a crew together sit in the upper floors of some of the houses you can easily set up multiple kill zones all around the grocery store, alternatively you can also camp around the mislabled hospital(its actually an industrial building my guess is someone found a medical supply in there and think its a hospital now) theres also a well fountain inside the same industrial courtyard, good place to camp for people wanting to refill on water before going to NWAF.

You'll catch most people off guard if you set up correctly they'll have no where to run to and since most of the people visiting vybor have already hit a military camp they have ammo/medical supplies so you get good loot if you rob them. My friends and I try not to kill people though, better to just strip them of their weapons and most of their goods, or just take all their ammo and let them go, you'd be surprised how many are willing to comply when they hear multiple voices from multiple directions on direct chat telling them to get down

Edited by Sickerthansars

Loads of people constantly up in the top right corner of the map they got an obstacle course and everything ( little known veteran secret don't tell anyone )

Only time I have seen more than lone players is at the Giant Spire (Green Mtn?).  Me and a friend held up a guy and let him go.  He attracted a lot of company and I got blasted in the head with an M4 after killing one of his friends (who just axed some dude in the head).  They then waited 30 minutes to kill my friend and acted like total jerks over the in-game chat...

Just stalked some dudes in Balota for like 30 minutes. Never fired at them, never revealed myself. Is that creepy?

balota, zielonogorsk, militarybases, north west airfield.  At night we were siting in a control tower near the stairs with bipods on looking throught the widnow at the police station ^^ one of ours was on a sniper position. AMAZING how many ppl run there even at 3 AM. There was all the time someone doing something ^^