hazychestnutz

Rocket, don't turn this into a zombie apocalypse simulator, but a video game.

Day Z, for me, is a game about survival. I made friends, enemies, lived and died.

Rocket is taking the game in a good direction, we need it to be harder. We need people to be frightened when the zeds spot them, to run for their lives. To band together otherwise they are dead.

Not even Walking Dead can compare to the kind of tension this game can create.

If you want something easier there are other games out there like Dead Island. Day Z is not for you.

i don't see any reason why side chat could not be regulated to servers instead of being completely taken out.....

Can server owners give unlimited ammo? Can they grant permanent relief from hunger or thirst?

Why should server owners have power over one of the most powerful tools in the game' date=' the ability to communicate with your fellow survivors?

[b']rocket is taking communication out of the realm of interface and into the realm of game play mechanic. It is honestly unprecedented in the world of online gaming and we should all be hailing the risk he is taken and keep an open mind about the kinds of scenarios that will arise as a result.

Please? Can we, please? Just give it a few weeks. A month. Try it out and see what happens before you start treating it like it's just another interface element again.

that very mechanic itself also allowed you to increase your relationship with another player, but for the majority there is no community as everyone is afraid of contact with another survivor.

You're supposed to be afraid. Welcome to DayZ.

Now, find ways to work through that fear. Triumph over it.

You will thank yourself and it will be so much more satisfying than had rocket just done the work for you.

Blah blah dayz elitists blah blah.

Fact is I play alone, I have no one to play with, and I enjoyed side chat. Doubtless a majority of players enjoyed side chat. Removing side chat ruined my server community and I'm mad about that.

The last patch has made the game loads more fun than it was, but I still miss side chat and think it was silly to remove it. The majority of players don't mind side chat. Unfortunately the minority of players that wanted side chat removed included Rocket, so I doubt this will be reversed.

i don't see any reason why side chat could not be regulated to servers instead of being completely taken out.....

Can server owners give unlimited ammo? Can they grant permanent relief from hunger or thirst?

Why should server owners have power over one of the most powerful tools in the game' date=' the ability to communicate with your fellow survivors?

[b']rocket is taking communication out of the realm of interface and into the realm of game play mechanic. It is honestly unprecedented in the world of online gaming and we should all be hailing the risk he is taken and keep an open mind about the kinds of scenarios that will arise as a result.

Please? Can we, please? Just give it a few weeks. A month. Try it out and see what happens before you start treating it like it's just another interface element again.

that very mechanic itself also allowed you to increase your relationship with another player, but for the majority there is no community as everyone is afraid of contact with another survivor.

You're supposed to be afraid. Welcome to DayZ.

Now, find ways to work through that fear. Triumph over it.

You will thank yourself and it will be so much more satisfying than had rocket just done the work for you.

well because communication can be done through 3rd party means anyway...... also comparing communication to unlimited ammo is a nonsensical usage of hyperbole. If some servers allow people to talk globally, and you are against that idea then just don't join that server. it has no affect on servers outside of a single server, and thus would not affect you in an expert server.

well because communication can be done through 3rd party means anyway......

there's no way to control that. the best they can do is worry about what they can control in-game

I'm not arguing the issue, only the logic of bringing up stuff like that. it's like saying someone can break your window and break into your house, so why bother locking your front door

well because communication can be done through 3rd party means anyway......

Right. But who do you join in 3rd part chats' date=' and how? And can you trust them? And are they the sorts of people you want to spend time with, and have watching your back on a regular basis? Are you even comfortable speaking on TS or Vent with a stranger? These are all challenges, questions, and obstacles you must face because of the mechanic rocket has put in front of you. A much more interesting and complex question than "Can you press the / key on your keyboard?"

Everyone keeps bringing up 3rd party chat programs like they're a trump card. Like "Oh it's about realism but people will just circumvent that." But rocket never said it was about realism. I don't think it is. I think it's about taking chat out of the hands of the UI and putting it into your hands. YOU figure it out. Take on the challenge and come up with a solution that works for you because the game is not going to provide one to you on a silver platter.

also comparing communication to unlimited ammo is a nonsensical usage of hyperbole.

It's really not nonsensical, though. I provided the sense right there along with my post. An entirely new survivor you can trust to watch your back is much, much, much, much more valuable in terms of survival than ammunition is. So communication - your route to linking up with other survivors - is a tool that is at least as, if not more, important than ammunition in the game. So comparing "unlimited ammunition" to "unlimited communication" is very accurate.

I know that breaks people's comfort zone because they're so used to thinking of CHAT as something separate that they get in addition to GAME and it's just there to help them organize their play and pass the time when they're bored. Well, rocket says fuck that. He says effective communication is PART of the game now and you have to work for it. It's not free anymore. And that's pretty awesome.

If you are one of those players who like to play alone, yet desire chat, then you are pulling at yourself from both sides.

You cannot expect to have a good ol' conversation if you are alone in the middle of the forest, you will get bored and you will get lonely. It will make the time you do run into another survivor a big deal, finally you will have someone to talk to, someone to bond with. Doing that from across the other side of the map is just ridiculous.

Communication is a game mechanic in this, it is a tool used for people who actually encounter each other. It is not a general chat channel so you can discuss real life politics while you are busy running through the forest to cure your boredom. If you need someone to talk to while running around in the forest I suggest looking at the survivor threads and actively looking for a partner.

Zedsdeadbaby: While I know that Rocket never said this was about realism, I think the underlining tone to it is realism. It becomes a gameplay mechanic that simulates realism, you get lonely when you're alone because you have nobody to share experiences with - and this is doing exactly that. It is simulating the feelings that you would normally find in real life with a game mechanic. While it may not be about realism, it certainly simulates it beyond any other game.

Personally, I've been playing on both nochat and chat servers since it was first fixed in the old beta patches, chat servers are annoying and take away from the overall experience of the mod.

It is the Zombie Apocalypse, it's not about having fun, it's about a lot more than that.

I disagree completely. The more realistic, immersive and simulation-like DayZ gets, the better.

I'd hate to see it get more gamey / arcadey.

It's a video game. We want to have fun.

YOU want to have fun. I want to see what else rocket has in store for me in other emotional areas. Please don't pretend you speak for the community.

Wow, you're a pretentious douchebag. Most people want to have fun. Yes, in this community. Please don't pretend that most people share your neurotic masochism.

Please don't pretend that most people share your neurotic masochism.

Should read what Rocket has instore for the mod then, because neurotic masochism is about all I read.

There are plenty of zombie games that cater for "fun", let the masochists have the one that is being designed for them.

Stop trying to turn it into a game; you should start reading some of Rockets mission statements and decide that maybe, just maybe, this wasn't going to be designed for you in the first place.

This is meant to make you feel frustrated, furious, lonely, compassionate, paranoid and distrusting. Its sole purpose is to invoke feelings that no other game does, and it's doing them brilliantly by taking the risks no AAA title would dare.

You came here for a zombie apocalypse mod that simulates a zombie apocalypse, and suddenly you don't like how a zombie apocalypse gives you more emotions than enjoyment? I don't think DayZ is the problem in this case, maybe you should start looking at how this game is going deeper than any other game dares - and respect it.

there's plenty of zombie games out there. I like this because it's different...

Personally' date=' I'm a gamer that chooses immersion over pretty much anything else, and I have found few things that need "improving" that I wasn't sure rocket already plans to fix. Other than the outrageously dark nights. That cause 80% of people to leave the servers.

...I think I'm allowed to be bitter about just one thing.

[/quote']

Yeah. /signed on the nighttime thing. As soon as it gets dark most folks leave. I'd also like to see the side channel make a comeback as it was outrageously funny and had a great social side to it.

Please don't pretend that most people share your neurotic masochism.

Should read what Rocket has instore for the mod then' date=' because neurotic masochism is about all I read.

There are plenty of zombie games that cater for "fun", let the masochists have the one that is being designed for them.

Stop trying to turn it into a game; you should start reading some of Rockets mission statements and decide that maybe, just maybe, this wasn't going to be designed for you in the first place.

This is meant to make you feel frustrated, furious, lonely, compassionate, paranoid and distrusting. Its sole purpose is to invoke feelings that no other game does, and it's doing them brilliantly by taking the risks no AAA title would dare.

You came here for a zombie apocalypse mod that simulates a zombie apocalypse, and suddenly you don't like how a zombie apocalypse gives you more emotions than enjoyment? I don't think DayZ is the problem in this case, maybe you should start looking at how this game is going deeper than any other game dares - and respect it.

[/quote']

Fucking cheers. Thank you.

This is a video game. This is not supposed to be a 'only fun' video game. There are many different ways to have fun. One of them is to be freaking the fuck out for about 45 minutes surrounded by death after spending 50 hours surviving in a god-forsaken wasteland.

DO NOT come into this community and expect Rocket to flip his game upside down because you want it to be easier. Let the man make his game the way he wants, and if you want to play it then do so. If it's too much for you, then play a different game.

This is a zombie apocalypse simulation. Get with the program people.

I agree with several people in this thread. Limiting chat is a really interesting gameplay mechanic. Give it some time. And this game should be brutal. Life isn't fair and balanced. Most game worlds always make sure your never completely screwed or trapped. This game doesn't care, and I love it. It's just a world and no rules. For once we get to adapt to it instead of have the game accommodate to us. Its exciting. Let Rocket do his thing.

It's a video game. We want to have fun.

YOU want to have fun. I want to see what else rocket has in store for me in other emotional areas. Please don't pretend you speak for the community.

I know this is alpha' date=' but Rocket has removed some essential stuff like the side channel.[/quote']

Not essential by any definition of the word.

You play on a full server and you feel completely alone

I don't. I'm always with my brother and friend and we have saved each other's lives on many occasions.

not motivated to move around the map and everyone feels like everyone is a hostile turning it into a shoot em up fest.

If people shoot at you, shoot at them. That's an important part of the game. DayZ is by no meas a shoot 'em up considering people are living for 10+ days and 50+ hours with some regularity.

Look, bud. We have plenty of "fun" zombie video games out there. We don't need another. L4D and Resident Evil and the like are great games and good fun, but if that's what you want just go play those games.

YOU DONE FUCKED UP NOW, yea, you done Fucked up meow.

You play on a full server and you feel completely alone

This argument always warms my heart a bit.

Stop running around alone in the middle of the forest and maybe you wont feel so alone?

The game makes you reap what choices you decide to sow. You feel alone? That's your fault, Not the games.

It's a video game. We want to have fun. I know this is alpha' date=' but Rocket has removed some essential stuff like the side channel. You play on a full server and you feel completely alone, not motivated to move around the map and everyone feels like everyone is a hostile turning it into a shoot em up fest. Other than that, all im asking is don't turn this into a simulator...

[/quote']

I vote this for the most unwanted suggestion for the mod ever to taint the forums. There are a few competitors, but this one isn't even in the right section. A bad idea, poorly researched, incompetently phrased, and wrongfully executed.

Either way, Rocket has stated that this isn't PvP. Let's hope future mechanics aid this central concept further.

I kind of miss messing with people in side chat to be honest. Also side chat is what guided me through the game mechanics when I first started and armas clunky-ass controls.

Maybe we should give these casuals a seperate difficulty level.

To the people complaining about DayZ being too hard I just have one suggestion for you: get a buddy or two, or join a clan

Lone Wolf is not how this game is meant to be played, it should be absolutely grueling if you choose to play by yourself. Think about it...In an actual zombie apocalypse how long do you think anyone would last on their own? (sans turbo survivalist/military types)

At least find a partner or two to run with if you like the "go it alone" playstyle. These forums are very active and it is very easy to find other players and meet up with. Don't like interacting with strangers? well damn, sounds like a personal problem to me.

When I first started playing I had a couple friends I would server hop and scavenge for supplies with, usually no more than 5 of us altogether. But they all eventually stopped playing and shortly thereafter as did I. But about a week ago I decided to join a clan and I have to say, immediately breathed life back into DayZ for me. The game has been much more fun and a lot more rewarding since then.

Like I said above, I'm sorry if this sounds pretty asshole but it's the plain and simple truth.

I am very happy with the direction they are taking with the mod, I want it to be hard as shit so all the "deathmatch kids" move on to something else.

Join a clan/community and the game will be ten times more enjoyable.