Sign in to follow this  
Dark Session

What happened to concepts from early 2013?

So yeah, im fresh here. I tried to contact Mr.Hall via Twitter, but i got no response, but thats not a big deal because i know he got almost 10 tweets every minute.

What happened to this great inventory concept? As a graphicsdesigner i have to admit that the current inventory system and the itembar does look H O R R I B L E! Its grayed out without any interesting graphical aspects. I hope this is just a placeholder!

5TinH.jpg

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now, what happened to this abandoned city? , it reminds me of STALKER and creates a great immersion. Would be awesome to have the whole buildings starting from the coast covered in plants and grown up.

5TiqW.jpg

I don't think either of those pictures were ones actually posted by Dean.  I believe those photos are made by random people.

As for the GUI, I think the primary reason they didn't use it is because it is because that is before they revamped the entire inventory system. Now with the modular inventory system, that approach isn't as valid (i.e. you don't have toolbelt anymore, the modular clothing slots wouldn't fit).

As for the overgrown concept of the broken city, I guess you as a graphic designer should be the first to know that it has to fit into the overarching art style. If they were to include apartment complexes overgrown with plants, then they'd have to do the same thing with all the other cities and buildings in the game.

Current inventory may look horrible but it functions quite well. It's easy to make it look better. The image you posted of the inventory still uses ArmA 2's inventory system where one item takes up one slot. Current one is much more realistic. It's not all about the looks, but since you're a graphics designer you will mostly disagree :P

Second image looks cool, but doesn't look like the ArmA engine. It would indeed improve the atmosphere a lot, but can the ArmA engine handle that many objects in one place without the client needing a £1000 GPU?

Edited by ApexCrisis
  • Like 1

I don't think either of those pictures were ones actually posted by Dean.  I believe those photos are made by random people.

I might be wrong on this one, but I'm fairly certain the first one was posted by rocket? For the second picture I'm not sure. Don't think I've seen that before.

The first one was posted by a random guy on Reddit IIRC.

Edited by Mos1ey

I might be wrong on this one, but I'm fairly certain the first one was posted by rocket? For the second picture I'm not sure. Don't think I've seen that before.

I could of sworn the first one was one suggested by someone, and Rocket talked about the inventory maybe being like it.  I can't say for sure though.

The first one was posted by a random guy on Reddit IIRC.

I could of sworn the first one was one suggested by someone, and Rocket talked about the inventory maybe being like it.  I can't say for sure though.

Coming back to me now. Sounds right, guys.

So yeah, im fresh here. I tried to contact Mr.Hall via Twitter, but i got no response, but thats not a big deal because i know he got almost 10 tweets every minute.

What happened to this great inventory concept? As a graphicsdesigner i have to admit that the current inventory system and the itembar does look H O R R I B L E! Its grayed out without any interesting graphical aspects. I hope this is just a placeholder!

5TinH.jpg

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now, what happened to this abandoned city? , it reminds me of STALKER and creates a great immersion. Would be awesome to have the whole buildings starting from the coast covered in plants and grown up.

5TiqW.jpg

WHY would the Plants all be overgrown if the Apocalypse just recently happened. If your saying the Apocalypse happened months ago then fine, but why would there be Loot laying around everywhere Months later ? you cant have it both ways.