Sign in to follow this  
DragoValhar

Melee Discussion

So I played the mod, probably a little too much, clearly recall a couple times when I played 24 hours straight only moving for food and such. Now albeit it was bad the melee was much better than currently in standalone at least from where I stand. Wanted to see others thoughts on the current state of it as well. I'm hoping by release the melee will be effective enough to use against players if I sneak up on them.

-I'm only getting 20 frames a second which makes precise aiming for the head difficult to say the least.

-Going toe to toe, while I know is a bad idea, turns out the zombie can strike me while I can seemingly not hit it with a baseball bat that extends my reach by a good two feet.

-Melee weapons being damaged at such a rapid rate seems to have something to do with the lack of damage output and should be addressed quickly.

The other problem is the zombies themselves, they aren't currently implemented well, and need pathing improvements as well as animation and hit box adjustment.

Yes zombies and melee needs a lot of work.....Just a few tips for you if you didn't already know.

Don't use melee weapons too close to a wall or your hit that and not the target your after.

Make sure that your melee weapon is actually in its proper stance.....for example make sure you dont have it raised like you would need to do with to use your firsts as this raises the actual weapon too high and makes the weapon highly inaccurate (you'll know if its in the wrong stance as your weapon should be in the middle section of your monitor ..not hanging out to the point that all you see is the wooden handle)

Aim just above the zombies head and it should hit most times.

For players i find aiming for there neck will actually hit their head.

Time your hits ....let the zombie get close to you and then back off as it tries to hit you and when it misses that's when you go for a swing.

Also do not crouch to hit zombies it makes your melee inaccurate and cause less damage as your not hitting the high damage areas (head) and also because zombies do more damage to you as they hit your head more often than if you are standing up.

Edited by Massicor

hold the D or A key, rotate in a circle. The zombies can't keep up with you moving at angles. Just move to the side and strike, its ridiculously easy and almost silly once you get the hang of it. Zombies are a non issue once i have a good melee weapon. It's just like boxing, dont attack in straight lines...make angles.

Zombies are placeholders. 

Melee works really well in my opinion, but you have to get used to it and know a few things about it. Probably the most misleading thing about Melee is that it actually hits where the weapon swings through. The first thing it contacts along that swing is what it hits. The animation doesn't stop however. So a good deal of the time you think you just head shotted that zombie but you actually contacted the shoulder and so barely hurt it. Try First person and watch where the weapon moves through. Line that space up with your target and you will hit your target. I find for headshots I IGNORE the cursor for the most part and end up just knowing about where the weapon will pass through. 

• Like 1

hold the D or A key, rotate in a circle. The zombies can't keep up with you moving at angles. Just move to the side and strike, its ridiculously easy and almost silly once you get the hang of it. Zombies are a non issue once i have a good melee weapon. It's just like boxing, dont attack in straight lines...make angles.

This too. I usually watch for the tell in the animation that they are launching an attack, step to the side, and swing at them. 

You need a better weapon.. Killing a zombie with a wrench/baseball bat takes 2 hits to the head, first one knocks them out, shovel 1 hit to the head, splitting axe 2 body hits, 1 to the head and finally fireman's axe, 1 hit anywhere.

I haven't been able to kill zombies with body hits if its a blunt weapon. I don't know about bayonets and knives cause I haven't used them.