Sign in to follow this  
overdosed (DayZ)

Some wisdom Ive collected as a new player for other new players.

First, I am totally new to dayz, I didnt play the mod as my pc couldnt really handle it at a good enough framerate, so what tips I can give come from 2 days of play time and generally not being too much of an idiot.

1. Find a canteen or a water bottle and fill them up at pumps. You can also drink directly from the pumps.(to fill up containers put them in your hands go into first person and use the scroll menu)

2. When you get the im hungry or thirsty message, its already too late. The way the system works now, you get the message when youre already at 20 or 30% so you should always have food and water with you and consume them at short intervals. Every time you find a pump or more food than you can carry drink and eat until you start getting the message that youre stuffed or comepletely full.(at this point you also start regenerating blood)

3. If your character starts moaning - youre probably sick. Find alcohol or antibiotics use them and eat and drink until youre full, you start getting better in no time. Without the medicine itll just take much more time.

4. Keep yourself dry. You can get sick if you get too wet.

5. Do not eat rotten fruit. If you do you can use charcoal pills.

6. To open cans of food you need an axe, a knife, a bayonet or a can opener. Just drag the item you want opened on your tool of choice(or the other way around its the same thing) Though keep in mind that if you open a can with something thats not a can opener you get less food and the tool looses durability.

7.Dont sprint everywhere. This depletes your energy much faster. Try to run, and when in buildings walk if you feel comfortable with the speed.

8. The wind always blows east, so by watching the clounds you can get a bearing of your direction(picked that up on the wiki)

9. Do not stay at the coast. After you spawn, scavenge the closest village for some food and water and then head inland. 

10. When traveling, never use the roads. The woodline is your friend, always follow the road from a distance or just go through the wilderness. 

11. Avoid large open areas without cover.

12. Do not storm potential loot spots, always take the time to scout around and see if theres already someone there.

13. Since now you cant tell if theres a player somewhere by the zombies spawns as in the mod, look for open doors. If the doors are open someone has either already been there after the server restart or is still there. Which leads me to my next point.

14. Try to always close doors behind you especially when youre entering a building to loot it. If someone stumbles at the same building this might give you the upper hand as they might not expect to encounter someone if the door was closed.

If you dont follow the roads and scout locations before going in, youll have a much better chance in seeing ppl before they see you and in turn have the ability to observe them before deciding to aproach, engage or leave them alone. This should increase your survival rate substantially.

Ill keep adding more tips as I think of them. Also feel free to give more tips in here so I can add them to the list.

• Like 3

I've been inland a few times, but much of it seems to be nothing. 

Thanks for the information. 

Wow. I'm not a new player and your tips didn't help me, but I have to say this is one of the best lists I've seen so far for beginners. Compact, but it still covers almost every important aspect at the beginning. Beans for you

12. Do not storm potential loot spots, always take the time to scout around and see if theres already someone there.

Keep also in mind that people can spawn right behind you or near you when they join the server. Especially at high gear spots (barracks, prison). Scouting is good and all but sometimes can mean nothing. There is a sound (loading a gun) that people tend to make when they join in, keep your ears open :)

Scouting is good and all but sometimes can mean nothing.

You can say the same about not staying at the coast, and avoiding the roads. To my knowledge theres no tactic that can fully help you avoid danger.

About that loading sound though, thatll be helpful. Although ive heard it several times in the past few days and after assuming that theres someone around me I immediately entered combat mode and cleared the area around me but every time to no avail. Its probably still global like zombies and soda cans.

I've been inland a few times, but much of it seems to be nothing. 

Thanks for the information. 

nothing except the majority of the map? or do you live in the sea?