Sign in to follow this  
james2464

We need a solution to server restarts!

Currently saving everyone's inventory is working fine, a few bugs but it's okay

However we need a system that saves Huey's, Vehicles and Tents otherwise there is very little incentive to collect these assets especially the repair items.

Once the server restarts it's all gone!!! That is not a long term solution.

My group built an entire camp with lots of supplies and a huey, we "saved" everything but when the server restarted it's all gone. WHATS THE POINT?

All online gaming servers need a restart. Most are once-weekly. This mod is in alpha, and run on privately-owned servers...

All online gaming servers need a restart. Most are once-weekly. This mod is in alpha' date=' and run on privately-owned servers...

[/quote']

Care factor = 0

It's an alpha. This isn't one of your typical "Betas" you pay to play before a games release that you are used to playing. It's going to be filled with bugs, exploits, etc. You really can't get too attached to items, vehicles, characters because most likely you will lose them.

I thought servers needed a restart far more frequently, to keep zombies/loot spawning?

I thought servers needed a restart far more frequently' date=' to keep zombies/loot spawning?

[/quote']

They need a restart around every 6 hours. Griff was pointing at that since this is an alpha servers needed to be restarted more frequently then other online games(At least I think he was).

Fail meme,

Our gear is easily replaced and is saved properly.

Huey's, Vehicles and tents are useless

DAYZ is suppose to be about a group of friends raiding towns, hospitals and airfields against other groups or individuals. For supplies to stay alive... hueys and cars help greatly but when it's restarted what's the point... it should be extended to make this mod even more epic

So tents will last roughly 6 hours then' date=' ey? :s

[/quote']

Tents can stay after server restarts.

Tents are permanent, it just depends if the server loads in correctly after the restart.

idk if it's been said only 100000 times but it's an Alpha Mod.

Sit back, relax, enjoy Day Z experiences. There WILL be bugs/Exploits/Problems. Most of the time, game/mod developers do CLOSED alpha/betas for BUG TESTING. By opening up the Alpha to the entire community, you must understand that even if everyone can play it, our primary role atm in playing it is for bug exploration. If you don't have the mental/emotional capacity to deal with bugs an alpha, I recommend you wait until the mod is finished completely before playing.

There's only one way to find out your huey/tents/cars don't get saved and that's by getting them and losing them. Thanks for your contribution despite your sour tone. I've personally had this happen today myself. Restarted the server, all my tents/cars gone. Restart the server a 2nd time and suddenly they're all back.

I'm sure the Day Z mod team is hard at work to fix problems/bugs. Now while they're busting asses after work with their FREE TIME on this mod, the least you can do is be patient and not make threads like this. You have a bug? Report it via the bug report. Complaining about lost items in an alpha is pointless (I'd imagine when the mod moves to beta/is finished, they'd do a character restart or something).

I admit, without the ability to save tents/cars/hueys, the mod may seem a bit "pointless"(as you say). But just enjoy playing it with your friends while Day Z mod team gets this baby fixed and ready to go. Enjoy your FREE ability to test/play the alpha of this mod. It's a high honor to test such a quality mod.

See you in the beta.

Edit: Oh also, if you die with the character you put the tent down with - I think you have 1-2 days before it despawns. Meaning you cannot pack it back up on a new character, so keep that in mind when using tents.

Once the server restarts it's all gone!!! That is not a long term solution.

Do you actually believe this mod would be going on full release where vehicles don't save? This is a alpha, which means work in progress, and the dev team is releasing patches with 2-3 days or sometimes less between them.

Good to see everyone agrees, no doubt Rocket will read this and it will be fixed in due course.

I rest my case.

I think the server should be restarted more often, so the gimp who parks his vehicle in the corner of the map to use as a storage facility understands the downside of hoarding.

I think the server should be restarted more often' date=' so the gimp who parks his vehicle in the corner of the map to use as a storage facility understands the downside of hoarding.

[/quote']

It's not for those purposes usually.

Groups usually hoard supplies to make camp so they have a base to organize their operations or raids.

It works beautifully, I do it with TG

I think the server should be restarted more often' date=' so the gimp who parks his vehicle in the corner of the map to use as a storage facility understands the downside of hoarding

That IS one of the aspects of this game- to find/loot/hoard supplies and setup a nice camp.

What else a group of "survivors" going to do but just go around and gank people?

To be honest, my group of operators (15-20 of us) are probably going to just throw the idea of working together and making a camp and just start ambushing people and gank them.

This game is suppose to not LIMIT what you can do, but only to let you do things that you WANT to do.

So what if a group of players want to hoard supplies? they might like to use that to help new players or re-equip readily if someone dies.

It also adds a sense of survival when trying to work together and create something.

What I find funny is when people who bought arma just for this mod ragequit. I heard this guy on side chat saying he was going to ask for his money back. Everyone laughed at him. I am not saying you shouldnt buy arma to play this mod. Arma is great, and not just for this mod, there are lots of great mods, and the vanilla game is excellent too. But if you are going to shell out money for a game so you can play a mod that is in alpha... at least check if you are really going to like it first. Reading the forum will tell you everything that players do and don't like about it. It is in alpha so bugs are guaranteed. Let's have less complaining. The devs clearly plan to make tents and vehicles work or they wouldn't have put them in at all so this complaint is totally redundant. If it is that important to you play a finished game until this one is done. You may also consider offering help to the devs in terms of work (I seem to remember they mentioned wanting 3d artists) or money. Who knows if you send them enough cash they might even make your personal pet peeves a priority.