Sign in to follow this  
funky_mish

My Opinion on DayZ's Direction

I bought an alpha version of the game that was stated to only be available so people can help with development. So here's my feedback. And for a change from a lot of the posts here... it's positive.

The biggest complaints people had with the mod after a while were "endgame is boring" and "there's too much PvP"... which I think was in large part down to a lot of bored endgame players teabagging each other.

The list of things to get in order to reach endgame was pretty short: food, water, guns, ammo, backpack, medical supplies, hunting supplies, better guns and ammo. Done. Maybe a car or a helicopter.

With the SA, the list is just getting longer. You've got to find all those things and more, like find out your blood type, get blood bags of that type, get sterile bandages as opposed to just rags. Keep stocked up on batteries as well as other consumables. And the list will get longer over time. All the while it's easier to die without completing this list... and then you get to start again.

I don't mind saying that I'm not all that good at the mod. It takes a few sizable strokes of luck for me to get to endgame... and I like that, because I don't get bored. I always have something to work towards. So to conclude I like how the SA is making that more difficult, because hopefully more players can have the kind of fun with it I had with the mod.

This is like old games like Sonic or Mario. No one whined because there was no save and they couldn't complete the game. They just started from level 1 again. Learn to embrace game over again :D

There is no endgame. Unless you find rocket('s) aviators.

I found em. What's my reward ?

po9Fs1N.png

There is no endgame. Unless you find rocket('s) aviators.

DAYZ SA 500+ ROCKET AVIATORS, CUSTOM LOADOUT (INCL. ROCKET AVIATORS), ALWAYS DAY (SO YOU ALWAYS NEED ROCKET AVIATORS) etc etc.

I don't know why people complain about end-game at this early stage either, since the end-game isn't in-the-game yet.

Scarcity is the driving force in survival.  That need to get something you need.  Not something you don't have.

IMO, loot has nothing to do with this game.  Loot is a by-product of "oh new shiny!" mentality from all of us, myself included, living in society.

DayZ is like an Easter Egg Hunt; and that IS the endgame.  When you think about it, after all the eggs have been found what is there to do?  No clothing or food or supplies anywhere.  Someone has them and they may share and you may have to kill them to survive.  

In DayZ, you don't want those beans... you nEEd those beans, antibiotics, water, or you're going to die.  Food and health supplies sHOULd be kept scarce for just that reason.  Also, IMO, they shouldn't respawn on server restart by default.

Admins should have the choice of running kiddie servers with loot respawn enabled but True DayZ mode should be no loot respawn.  Then you'll have societies/collectives/groups fighting together over resources and lone wolfs that will take payment for tasks against other groups.  Any number of dynamic things can happen but only if things don't always respawn.  Kinda like in ...Eve Online.  Fighting over resource control is what the game is all about.

I see a year from now 2-4 (maybe more) collectives of survivors forming on a server to gather or harvest resources to sustain their own group.  Once the server is looted, its looted.  That's it.  The only available resources...someone else has.  You can join with them if they let you, or you can steal it or take it for yourself or your group.

Sustainable farming or other types of food reproduction would be hotspots for take overs and collective group wars on a server.  When the area has been completely hunted out this is the only option.  

We just don't know what immersive play will come out of the game yet but there definitely is no end-game in sight.

One thing is for sure.  Food and Medical things should be scarce.  

Guys that are like, "I HAS ALL THE L00TZ!", are ...funny.  Like they won DayZ!  yeah. ok.  This is an immature mentality from playing every other game out there.  Maybe they'll get bored and go play another game.  We should be so lucky.

They really need to make a (Faceplam) (Face-to-keyboard) emote for these forums.

:facepalm:

• Like 1

:facepalm:

Kinda made me laugh, I didn't know you could scroll through the emote's. I was wondering how people were doing that... So many time's I could've used it!

I don't know why people complain about end-game at this early stage either, since the end-game isn't in-the-game yet.

Scarcity is the driving force in survival.  That need to get something you need.  Not something you don't have.

IMO, loot has nothing to do with this game.  Loot is a by-product of "oh new shiny!" mentality from all of us, myself included, living in society.

DayZ is like an Easter Egg Hunt; and that IS the endgame.  When you think about it, after all the eggs have been found what is there to do?  No clothing or food or supplies anywhere.  Someone has them and they may share and you may have to kill them to survive.  

In DayZ, you don't want those beans... you nEEd those beans, antibiotics, water, or you're going to die.  Food and health supplies sHOULd be kept scarce for just that reason.  Also, IMO, they shouldn't respawn on server restart by default.

Admins should have the choice of running kiddie servers with loot respawn enabled but True DayZ mode should be no loot respawn.  Then you'll have societies/collectives/groups fighting together over resources and lone wolfs that will take payment for tasks against other groups.  Any number of dynamic things can happen but only if things don't always respawn.  Kinda like in ...Eve Online.  Fighting over resource control is what the game is all about.

I see a year from now 2-4 (maybe more) collectives of survivors forming on a server to gather or harvest resources to sustain their own group.  Once the server is looted, its looted.  That's it.  The only available resources...someone else has.  You can join with them if they let you, or you can steal it or take it for yourself or your group.

Sustainable farming or other types of food reproduction would be hotspots for take overs and collective group wars on a server.  When the area has been completely hunted out this is the only option.  

We just don't know what immersive play will come out of the game yet but there definitely is no end-game in sight.

One thing is for sure.  Food and Medical things should be scarce.  

Guys that are like, "I HAS ALL THE L00TZ!", are ...funny.  Like they won DayZ!  yeah. ok.  This is an immature mentality from playing every other game out there.  Maybe they'll get bored and go play another game.  We should be so lucky.

Well that's one big assumption of what will happen of loot does not respawn :) What I think will happen.

[All loot has been looted][No Server Restart anytime soon]

Player 1 searches 2 towns - Finds nothing - Leaves server and joins another

Player 2 repeat above

Player 3 repeat above

No collective will be formed [At least not like in the scenario you described]

I see what you're saying.  I was not considering exploits in my example as that's not how I play.

Ah well, the bad apples ruin the bunch, eh.

Maybe they'll re-write the server architecture (yet again? :rollseyes) to run off an HPC cluster and only have 1 massive server and just add 15 sq.km. map sections as they go... 

Yeah, I guess I was just talking about a different game.

I guess when private hives are prevalent you could maintain this type of play and password the server.  Would be a lot of fun.

True DayZ mode should be no loot respawn.  Then you'll have societies/collectives/groups fighting together over resources and lone wolfs that will take payment for tasks against other groups.

Yeah, no. That's not what you'll have. If loot doesn't respawn, you will have servers that last about 3 weeks before every bullet has been fired, every blood bag used and every antibiotic taken and then those players will quit playing and every new player will just be playing a glorified flashlight tag simulator.

Seriously. You've got a good spirit, but no loot respawn is a completely asinine design idea.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby

Its not asinine for a survival sim.  It may be asinine for a game for general public consumption, but lets face it, the general public is...yeah.

They could always implement better-than-wolves (minecraft) style iron/lead production from mining to cast/load your own shells, reuse shell casings!  lol.

Let's get this together and put it on kick starter, raise a bunch of millions and then retire with no product to show for it.

Edited by Cinnabuns

@Cinnabuns

I love how you laid it out, except for the no loot respawn. Stuff needs to respawn, however at a very low rate. Maybe only 2 m4s spawn every 3 restarts or something along those lines. The people looking for the quick 20 minute play and dm through cherno would disappear, which would be amazing.

There is no ruleset on how to play Dayz, but heaven forbid if people are actually pushed to communicate with other players...

Its not asinine for a survival sim.

Yes, it's definitely still really asinine. The game needs to be playable, general public or otherwise.

Yes, it's definitely still really asinine. The game needs to be playable, general public or otherwise.

I wanted to post this again just to save you a 3rd post.