autoloon

This game should be prohibitively difficult.

I am honestly very disappointed by some of the reactions to many of the very exciting ideas being put forth in this game.

I must be honest and say that I sincerely hope the players who are now arguing for the total removal of the complex medical system being developed can only tolerate a few more hours of it before quitting forever. 

The essence of DayZ is disorientation. Most of us have clocked countless hours on the mod and can find our way around Chernarus pretty easily by now. With the standalone, the disorientation is internalized, and the map has changed, though the terrain remains the same. Even players familiar with Chernarus must take great care in plotting their course or face a near certain death if not prepared for basic needs. 

My view is that the game should try to kill you a lot. I am optimistic about the game because I am dying quite a lot, though I have played at least 80 hours of the mod. I found myself in Chernarus because DayZ looked like a logical step up in difficulty from Dark Souls. I enjoy difficult and uniquely challenging games and DayZ is a game that is targeted towards gamers who share that streak of masochism. 

If the players calling for removal or nerfing of the medical system bothered to check out some of the games Rocket raves about on a regular basis, they would see that they are fighting for a lost cause, and that their cries will only fall on deaf ears. 

Stay healthy, bambis. 

• Like 15

I'm with ya 100%.  Too many games are so dumbed down these days so any of us looking for a challenge all flock to the same few ones that are unique.  Unfortunately these games are few and far apart (and typically not well funded).  But seeing how Rocket sticks to his vision of making an authentic survival game really pleases me.  I've always thought health was the single most unrealistic thing about most games.  In most games, you can take a ton of damage, be a pat on the back away from death and still sprint and jump over obstacles like it's nothing.  If anything, I can see the health system going even more in depth than it is now in the future which is great.  I have faith that the care bears and whiners will not effect the devs decisions in how this game ends up, and that's really uncommon in todays video game market!

• Like 4

while i agree with your post, i don't think everyone feels the same disorientation. i've found myself thinking many times today "i know that treeline." (i haven't been on chernarus since taviana release)

people whining about the medical system are 5 years old

the only part of the map that really changed is the north

survival is easy as long as you have an axe, beans and a river. (there's one that runs practically 1/3 the way balota-NWAF transit)

while i agree with your post, i don't think everyone feels the same disorientation. i've found myself thinking many times today "i know that treeline." (i haven't been on chernarus since taviana release)

people whining about the medical system are 5 years old

the only part of the map that really changed is the north

survival is easy as long as you have an axe, beans and a river. (there's one that runs practically 1/3 the way balota-NWAF transit)

I think I might not have been as clear as I thought about that. What I meant by that comment isn't that the map is less familiar, but that you can't simply plot course in the same heavy handed way as before. Travel used to be end point oriented, now it's waypoint oriented by necessity. Holding W and watching Netflix is no longer as viable. 

I am honestly very disappointed by some of the reactions to many of the very exciting ideas being put forth in this game.

I must be honest and say that I sincerely hope the players who are now arguing for the total removal of the complex medical system being developed can only tolerate a few more hours of it before quitting forever.

I'm with ya 100%.  Too many games are so dumbed down these days so any of us looking for a challenge all flock to the same few ones that are unique.

DayZ might be difficult...but I wouldn't call it complex.  Also, I think a lot of people just bought the game just because they've heard what an awesome game this is but they don't actually have any idea of *what* kind of game this is.  I think a lot of new players also neglected to read the game description (or just ignored it) along with the in-game pop-up that tells you this is still in Alpha.

It's got bugs and character wipes are gonna happen on a regular basis.  Deal with it.

I'm a longtime Roguelike fan too so hunger/thirst, dying, losing all my crap and having to start all over again?  Pshah...that's what makes it fun baby.

Edited by NeedsFoodBadly

I think I might not have been as clear as I thought about that. What I meant by that comment isn't that the map is less familiar, but that you can't simply plot course in the same heavy handed way as before. Travel used to be end point oriented, now it's waypoint oriented by necessity. Holding W and watching Netflix is no longer as viable. 

The only thing that made traveling slightly more difficult is that we don't just shift click where we want to go and follow an arrow now, and I really like that.

The only thing that made traveling slightly more difficult is that we don't just shift click where we want to go and follow an arrow now, and I really like that.

waypoint was always a crutch

There is of course a balance to be struck between your desire to have an awesomely difficult game and the reality which is games need money to continue to exist. This cash injection has really helped, I'm sure, but it's not enough to keep things going for 2 or 3 more years. Dayz needs players so if you're confident there's enough people out there willing to put up with "prohibitive" difficulty, then I say go for it. But, if there's not then we're in big trouble.

Tried to find NWAF the other day,  didn't have a map or anything. After spending 45 minutes walking in a circle basically, around the airfield and the surrounding area I finally found the fence : p

I kept remembering certain places, and going accordingly. Which sometimes lead me to where I expected, and sometimes lead me to the middle of fucking nowhere. Which actually adds more depth to it other than as you say, set a waypoint and walk in a straight line.

waypoint was always a crutch

Yep it was, but you must admit that you want to press K and see your compass now.

There is of course a balance to be struck between your desire to have an awesomely difficult game and the reality which is games need money to continue to exist. This cash injection has really helped, I'm sure, but it's not enough to keep things going for 2 or 3 more years. Dayz needs players so if you're confident there's enough people out there willing to put up with "prohibitive" difficulty, then I say go for it. But, if there's not then we're in big trouble.

Let the cod kids buy the game, cry about it and leave forever. The devs get the same amount of money if they stay or leave.

Let the cod kids buy the game, cry about it and leave forever. The devs get the same amount of money if they stay or leave.

a. This game would do well to attract a few "cod kids" and keep them around. rocket personally hates that phrase, and so do I. CoD is a decent game, and has plenty of decent players and if you think you're better than them just because you don't play CoD then pretty much go fuck yourself.

b. The game needs players in addition to money. If 50% of the people who buy it stop playing it, it's going to fail no matter how much money they have. A company will not continue to invest in a failing product. They will invest the money elsewhere in other products. Remember, DayZ is still a Bohemia product and they are not obligated in any way to invest DayZ revenues in DayZ. They can do whatever they want with their profits.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby
  • Like 1

a. This game would do well to attract a few "cod kids" and keep them around. rocket personally hates that phrase, and so do I. CoD is a decent game, and has plenty of decent players and if you think you're better than them just because you don't play CoD then pretty much go fuck yourself.

b. The game needs players in addition to money. If 50% of the people who buy it stop playing it, it's going to fail no matter how much money they have. A company will not continue to invest in a failing product. They will invest the money elsewhere in other products. Remember, DayZ is still a Bohemia product and they are not obligated in any way to invest DayZ revenues in DayZ. They can do whatever they want with their profits.

"CoD kids" been around awhile now. Every private hive is called "10000000000000 vehicles starting AS50 self bloodbag." So, there's that. 

I don't care that they exist, they just need to keep their noses out of vanilla talk. 

"CoD kids" been around awhile now.

Yeah, i know. And rocket said he hated it and wished people would stop saying it like a year ago. But, people still insist on using it as some misguided insult. It's stupid. CoD is one of the most successful games in the history of the industry. Any game should be happy to grab some of its market share, and there's no defining characteristics of a CoD player. There are tens of millions of them, and they are all sorts of different people. So using it as an insult is pretty much just stupid. Stop doing it, okay?

• Like 1

i love the new compass.

Haha when you think about it really does make a lot more sense than a compass floating on your screen, I like that you have to hold it. I just hate having to go into first person because no matter what, first person makes me want to hurl. 

I'm with you brother. I'm really tired of games dumbing down its elements because lot of 10 year olds and COD players say so. I'm just a tad concerned that when we reached the desired difficulty for the SA, the community will become like the Battlefield community. Basically wanting to nerf guns because they kill people.

Haha when you think about it really does make a lot more sense than a compass floating on your screen, I like that you have to hold it. I just hate having to go into first person because no matter what, first person makes me want to hurl. 

i don't get that myself. there's nothing i enjoy more at the moment than running around with my compass hanging out

DayZ already sold nearly 200,000 copies on release. DayZ has plenty of players already even counting for attrition.

Edited by NeedsFoodBadly

DayZ already sold nearly 200,000 copies on release. DayZ has plenty of players already even counting for attrition.

No, it really doesn't. 200k copies sold is a nice start, but it is by no means "plenty" and considering that there is no subscription fee, the game needs a steady influx of new players to continue to function.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby
  • Like 1

I would just like more zombies.

I have so far found the game too easy.

At points I was close to dying of hunger/ thirst but the only things that have managed to kill me were a bug and rocket.

No, it really doesn't. 200k copies sold is a nice start, but it is by no means "plenty" and considering that there is no subscription fee, the game needs a steady influx of new players to continue to function.

Wake up! DayZ is an indie game. It is marketed as such, and not to mention it is born from a mod for a PC military sim! Grossing nearly 6 million dollars at launch is incredible. 

Gutting an engine and overhauling an existing map with a small team cost 1 million at best in the past year. DayZ has likely already been profitable for BI. 

This topic comes up for every new game in development, people want it harder than anything and others want it super easy. they need a middle ground because if the game is as you want it you will be playing it by yourself and maybe with a couple hundred other players because no one will touch the game otherwise.

I've played 1,5k + hours of the mod and the game became very, VERY easy after a while.

The thing that i enjoyed the most when i first tried SA was the fact that i have to put some effort into getting loot. Food and water are scarce, ammo is very rare too (at least not like in the mod where you would loot 2 houses and have an enfield with a full backpack of ammo for it).

I hope that doesn't change. This game is designed to be very difficult