Sign in to follow this  
sven0341

New to DayZ, SA or MOD?

So i just discovered DayZ, via youtube a couple weeks ago and have finally convinced my wife to let me spend some money getting a new pc so close to the holidays. I am wondering which DayZ i should start playing for the first time. Should i buy Arma 2 and d/l the mod and start with that till I learn the ropes and everything then maybe get in the alpha? or just play the SA alpha from the get go? Thanks in advance and am really looking forward to playing this game.

Buy DayZ SA.

You can't really learn the ropes to the SA by playing the mod.

I too am a noob and never played the Mod.  I have six hours played and I am enjoying myself with the SA.

Edited by LigerNoir

I am fine with playinga game in development like the sa, I guess,rephrasing a little, will I still be able to get the a decently "full" dayz experience from the SAN even with the limited items out. I will probably get both in the next few months to play around in. Sorry for any typos, I'm posting from my phone.

I am fine with playinga game in development like the sa, I guess,rephrasing a little, will I still be able to get the a decently "full" dayz experience from the SAN even with the limited items out. I will probably get both in the next few months to play around in. Sorry for any typos, I'm posting from my phone.

This is actually really, really good for an Alpha.  I've played games that were worse/buggier than this and were Open Betas.  I've even played actual launch titles that were worse.

It's totally playable right now just don't be surprised if you experience frequent character wipes.  If you're into permadeath type games, you should love DayZ.  You gear up, you die, life goes on.  It all adds up to getting to know Chernarus and DayZ better.

I only just started with the SA, never played the mod and I'm having a lot of fun. From the perspective of learning the ropes I obviously can't comment on the mod, but it seems to be fairly straight forward thus far and seeing as everything isn't implemented you can focus on the things that are and learn that and as they progress into adding more stuff you have the basic parts taken care of and can proceed to learn new stuff (whatever that might be).

Be sure to check the changelog because they're updating everyday -- don't want to miss out on info that may be life-saving.  :)

Sounds like everyone is saying to just go with SA, I love the idea of the Perma death, gonna start downloading now and so I can play tonight...