Sign in to follow this  
onimaster777

Indoor Lighting

Just had a quick question about lighting inside buildings. At the moment we all know turning on your flashlight in a building is a great way to give off your position as the light shines through

walls of the structure, illuminating objects past the wall. While I do agree having a light on in a building should make you easier to spot, it should not be left in its current state because its too much of a give away.

My question to the devs is will this likely be able to be fixed? from what i understand lighting is an engine problem so how hard would it be to change?

thanks

my only issue with the lighting in the building is that there is no residual light from from the flashlight...    Other than that, I think it's fine. 

my only issue with the lighting in the building is that there is no residual light from from the flashlight...    Other than that, I think it's fin

Next time your playing shine your flashlight at a solid wall with a window (dont shine the light through the window), and use the 3rd person camera to get a decent view through the window. You will see that the light goes straight through the wall and illuminates objects outside.

If you think thats ok then i guess thats up to you, but im hoping that i can be fixed.

It would be amazing to see light bounce indoors to help with indirect illumination, totally adding to the immerision.  Though I can probably imagine the performance hit would not be worth it.

If structures can block rain in the new weather system I hope they can implement something with indoor light as well.

I'd also like to add how it's odd that an "off" flashlight/torch still self illuminates.  You can still see people running around with their lights out.

• Like 1

Light going through walls / ground has always happened in Arma (it's still in Arma 3 even). I don't know the specifics but it's just how the RV engine handles lighting and from what I've heard it would be far too intensive to change due to the sheer size of the world.

It's unfortunate, but even if this was possible you'd still easily be seen inside buildings with your flashlight on... It's just an immersion problem really.

Edited by nfsmwbefast

It would be amazing to see light bounce indoors to help with indirect illumination, totally adding to the immerision.  Though I can probably imagine the performance hit would not be worth it.

If structures can block rain in the new weather system I hope they can implement something with indoor light as well.

I'd also like to add how it's odd that an "off" flashlight/torch still self illuminates.  You can still see people running around with their lights out.

Ray tracing xD Not possible yet tho :( and certainly not in this shitty arma 2 engine.

Light going through walls / ground has always happened in Arma (it's still in Arma 3 even). I don't know the specifics but it's just how the RV engine handles lighting and from what I've heard it would be far too intensive to change due to the sheer size of the world.

It's unfortunate, but even if this was possible you'd still easily be seen inside buildings with your flashlight on... It's just an immersion problem really.

Good point.  We might as well take advantage of it! :)   Since lights at close range don't don't work as well.  Have a buddy stand outside and lightup the whole building, haha.