Leo (DayZ)

POLL: US70 Game Settings

Hello,

I am really enjoying the US70 Server - Hosted by DrTyWords. However, there are a few game settings on the server that annoy me and I'd like to see changed. These settings are:

Being able to see yourself, others & vehicles on the map.

This setting feels like cheating, I always know where I am and removes any excitement of figuring out where I am. It also renders the GPS useless. Having some kind of sonar around you that shows any nearby players or vehicles is also really dumb, imagine being killed by another player only because he saw your icon on the map.

screenshot of this:

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/184/arma2oa2012062122395128.png

(left: my position, right: set waypoint visible in screenshot 2)

Setting waypoints on the map, telling you exactly where the target location is and how far away it is. Again, takes away all the excitement of finding out where you are. Should be removed.

Screenshot:

http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/6724/arma2oa2012062122393194.png

It is also possible to see the "black X with a circle around them" markers that other players placed on the map, this allows players to communicate while it shouldn't be possible. global chat was disabled after all. I don't know if it is possible to disable this setting, but if you can it should be.

Everyone who likes to see these changes happen on US70 (or not) please reply in this thread, starting your post with either YES or NO. I've got confirmation of the server admin he will read this thread and might change the settings if we get enough votes.

Do me a favor and start a poll thread for the server asking if people would like it that way. I will listen to the regulars who vote.

Yes.

I agree with all of those sentiments.

I like that my nav skills can set me apart from other players just in how quickly I can locate myself. While I've popped into the server a few times I've noticed these settings on alot of servers and would like to see them go away on every server, but I get why players want different levels of difficulty.

Yes.

Also if you got good stuff like vehicles and tents on one server then switching server isn't exactly enticing ;)

Problem here is that most of the regulars probably play here for the reasons you listed or they would play some where else. I doubt people are coming into the forums looking for this thread and most of the posts will just be people adding to it who probably don't play there or even really care.

On a side note, the GPS is still useful for driving vehicles and having a mini map up. I already know the map and the current settings just makes gameplay less of a hassle. Not sure why someone would play on a server they don't like the settings.

:D

I agree with everything! Lets make it happen!

There are rules I'd like different on the server also but the deal is I'm not the one that purchased the server and I can have fun on it just like it is.

You want to play on a server with your rule sets then fork up the money and buy one. These posts shouldn't even exist, He doesn't host the server to set the settings the way you want and I imagine he'll change the settings when and how he wants.

How much money are you guys willing to come up with to hopefully guide his mind toward your server preferences? None, stfu, move along. Stop pretending these guys(admins of any server) are paying for servers so you can micromanage them.

I think it would be more to what Rocket would like in a DayZ server considering he wanted to get rid of global chat and such, so I agree not having a navigation system where all communication is destroyed in a post-apocalyptic setting would make sense.

I actually told him to make the post luna. It's kind of in the OP.

Yeah I read it and it changes nothing I've said. It's basic common sense. People play on servers where they like the rulesets. Making a thread in forums where people typically only go when they have a problem with something defeats the purpose of having a poll or a vote. It completely swings the favor toward the people wanting the change as the people who don't want the change are playing completely unaware of this post at all and filling up the server everyday.

In the end you should set the server rules how you want because you are never going to please everyone. The people who play on the server play there because they enjoy the rulesets or the majority of them would play somewhere else. I often go to hardcore servers because I like that type of gameplay and people really get into the game on those servers. I also like the rulesets on this server because when I want the game to be a little faster I have that choice.

If I had to guess I'd assume these guys got vehicles then made camps and none of that stuff is permanent. Wanting rules changed because of some temporary items you have on a server isn't practical. Probably server hoppers that found a vehicle and decided to setup shop and now want server rules changed.

I'm just here defending the 100s of people who play everyday just fine with the current ruleset and see no reason to come to forums to find out if there is some poll to change them.

Change the rules all you want but do it for your own reasons and what you want not for a few people who some may or may not even play on the server. You'd be ruining the rulesets for many to conform to the few. That just doesn't seem practical to me. Changing them because you want to and pay for the server, that seems practical to me.

Someone suggesting new rule sets to you isn't the problem here and you deciding you want to change them is perfectly fine. It's the one sided poll in the forums which will never be accurate at all which is the problem.

Someone suggesting new rule sets to you isn't the problem here and you deciding you want to change them is perfectly fine. It's the one sided poll in the forums which will never be accurate at all which is the problem.

and your posts voices the opinion of everyone else who plays on that server? have you met every single person who ever played on US70?

Sure, this poll is not a way to find out what the players of US70 really want, but don't talk too high about yourself like you know everyone.

As for your arguments: I can understand people want 3rd person, or crosshairs or nametags. But the settings I mentioned in the OP do nothing but go against the intended mechanics of the game. What is the purpose of a compass if a map shows your orientation as well? and whats the purpose of a GPS if you can use the waypoints? whats the purpose of removing global chat if you can still globally communicate with others using the markers on the map? This is not the way rocket wanted his mod to be. We are alpha testers and we will have to live with the way the game is. If you can't handle that you shouldn't hide behind a server with wrong game settings. You should stop playing DayZ.

and your posts voices the opinion of everyone else who plays on that server? have you met every single person who ever played on US70?

Sure' date=' this poll is not a way to find out what the players of US70 really want, but don't talk too high about yourself like you know everyone.

As for your arguments: I can understand people want 3rd person, or crosshairs or nametags. But the settings I mentioned in the OP do nothing but go against the intended mechanics of the game. What is the purpose of a compass if a map shows your orientation as well? and whats the purpose of a GPS if you can use the waypoints? whats the purpose of removing global chat if you can still globally communicate with others using the markers on the map? This is not the way rocket wanted his mod to be. We are alpha testers and we will have to live with the way the game is. If you can't handle that you shouldn't hide behind a server with wrong game settings. You should stop playing DayZ.

[/quote']

The purpose of a compass would be to see your direction without opening the map. The purpose of the GPS would be to have a mini map with grid locations up without opening the map which is great for driving.

The markers have personal uses. You can put them up without everyone else seeing them. If you don't like other peoples public markers then remove them.

My opinions are based on normal human behavior. If people are given a choice the normal or average person is going to choose the choice they prefer; meaning the typical person who plays regularly on a server play there because that's what they prefer. If they didn't prefer that they would do the normal thing and play else where. So my 'opinion' is that you aren't normal. You have a choice to play with the rules you like but you choose to play some where else and ask for the rules to be changed.

"We are alpha testers and we will have to live with the way the game is. If you can't handle that you shouldn't hide behind a server with wrong game settings. You should stop playing DayZ."

This seems like it was directed to yourself. Live with the way the game is and stop trying to force your preferences on other people. Who made you god of dayz to choose what server rules were wrong or right. These rules are choices rocket has currently given admins to make. There are plenty of servers with the rules you want I suggest you gain some common sense and find them.