Sign in to follow this  
jcrose803

Did you implement a fix for server hopping? If so, awesome!

Today I was playing alone, and went to the military base north of Kamenka. A friend of mine wanted to play so i decided to change to his server seeing as mine was empty on loots anyway. When i changed server from inside the base my character was lost and I started over again at the coast. I immediately thought of the new patch and it's "critical security" fixes. I tested it out, switched servers a few more times in a few different places. When I switched servers at a place that was no big deal (in the middle of a forest, random small town like pavlovo) nothing happened, character saved, all is good! Next, to further test my theory, I went to the military portion of zeleno and switched to a different server. Character wiped, started over on coast. 

Is this a security measure for those who hop from military base to military base on different servers? If so, great job! If it's just a bug and my character is going to be getting wiped all the time...then dammit!

Er, there was a full character wipe for everybody in the latest update.

First one might've been that, second one may have been a bug.

I wasn't notified if there is a server hopping penalty.

It has happened to me about 4 times yesterday. Not really from hopping servers mostly logged out in random areas then come back to a fresh start. completely wiping someone because of hopping wouldn't seem to be a good way to combat hopping maybe just reset there location only. If that was the case many!!people would lose intrest fast

good, i hope the server hoppers loose interest fast. they ruin the game

However due to UK/EU not havin nearly enough servers for the player base, some server hopping is inevitable!

NEED MORE SERVERS IN UK

Ah that would explain it, I logged out yesterday with a pretty good character but when I logged back in I was on the beach and was like noooooooooooo.

This makes me feel a bit better lol. Although hasnt taken me that long to get back to near enough where I was. :)

It wasn't the character wipe that got me. I mean that definitely got me, killed me so dead. This was after that. This was something curious.

got back on and played a few hours, got nice and geared up. was leaving balota when "no message received" came up. got back on, different server because i couldnt remember which server i was on before. character killed. suuuuuuckkk.

I was one of the odd 5000 that survived the char wipe and I also experienced something like this.

I believe it's a straight out bug since it happened to me while logging out Shakhovka. I hopped to join my friends server and to my surprise I was a fresh spawn standing on the beach. Next time I logged in I was back at my old, geared character in Shakhovka...

I saw a comment from rocket stating that if a server is not whitelisted then it won't save your data. also if the server loses connection to the database and you quit it wont save. now i just have to figure out what servers are whitelisted...

Disclaimer: I understand this is an alpha, and it is meant as a test infrastructure

Now to weigh in on the subject.

I'd like to see the following two items implemented.

1. Spawn loot other than at server restart.

I know they have plans for this already. I think it is the first item (related to this issue) that should be implemented.

There will always be people who plan and do attempt to break the game or abuse broken mechanics. However, I do feel this initial item will eliminate a large portion of server hopping, and isolate it to those abusers (at that point a number of options are open to penalize them, since they're all just abusing it. That kind of abuse should be eventually written in as violation of terms of service.

The long version of my explanation (skip this paragraph if you don't like reading):

Consider my second life in DayZ:SA. I scramble off the beach and make my way around several housing areas without finding anything other than a rotten kiwi and an axe. I see a sign for Cherno, and being a new player (never played pre-SA) I'm excited about making my way to the big city and challenging myself to sneak my way in for some supplies. Along the way I catch glimpse of a bandit clearly waiting for this kind of activity and looking to KoS. He's prone behind some clutter on the second floor of a building with some high powered weapon. Lucky I saw him before he saw me. I'm getting many notifications that I'm hungry and thirsty, and realize I probably don't have much time. But if I V-Line it for the grocery store I'm as good as dead, so I sneak my way around the back side of the building. It takes some time, but I manage to get to some nice looking houses the other side of the grocery store. Empty. Empty. Empty. Now I'm starving. I decide to try my luck against the bandit. I circle back to the building. He must have hear me, because he moves from his initial position and comes down the stairs looking suspicious. I found a good spot to flank from another room in the house. As he passes the room, I axe him! Success! I took a bullet for it, but it will be worth it. I check his body and am now equipped with his nice weapon. Unfortunately, he had only canned food and no opener. No problem, I've gotten rid of the threat overlooking the grocery store. I head there, knowing I'm about to die from starvation. Wouldn't you know it.... Empty.

Using a great deal of survival tactics, combat tactics, and luck... I take 45 minutes to do all of this. And die from starvation in a grocery store after checking all surrounding buildings and killing a geared bandit. Before I died, I definitely considered server hopping to get some well deserved food. Many people will take that leap and I wouldn't blame them for it. It's a survival game, not a "you die no matter what if you're not first on the server" game.

2. When entering a server, you spawn on the coast. I haven't heard a solid argument against this. Outside of the fact that bambis like myself might get slaughtered by freshly spawned geared bandits (that's something the bandits could do if they wanted to anyways), there's no real down side. It forces people to consider combat logging if they've travelled any real distance. It prevents server hopping for loot in high value areas. It prevents server hop flanking. It solves all the problems with no obvious issues.

Anyhow, there's my 2c.

Is ALPHA, peeps need to stop complaining.  There's much to still be implemented and have many wipes to go.  Who cares if people are server hopping, is a good test for loading servers.  Best thing, go get a gun and sit there and pop them as they log in.  Problem solved. 

It has happened to me about 4 times yesterday. Not really from hopping servers mostly logged out in random areas then come back to a fresh start. completely wiping someone because of hopping wouldn't seem to be a good way to combat hopping maybe just reset there location only. If that was the case many!!people would lose intrest fast

If the server hoppers and the cod kids lose interest fast I would be thrilled, I don't see a problem with that : )

Actually not, there are private hive servers that still operate named as original servers that are up to date, once you join you lose access to your character for a few hours.

Even if counter measures are implemented, wiping your character if you server hop is the most retarded idea ever. Instead put there a two minute passout if the player switches server way too often.

Edited by Soret

Update. today i got on to play again and I was reverted back to my geared character that I lost. My guess is that some servers operate on a different database. Will have to keep better track of servers I play on, and note which ones I can switch off between. Not server hopping, just whatever server I might play for that day.