Sign in to follow this  
daedrick

Top issues I believe should be priority number one.

Rocket is now aiming for stability and bug fixes so we can actually test features in a relatively stable environement, Im perfectly with that. But once that's done, even if its never completly done, because glitchs and bugs will always be present, no matter how polished any game is, there are some issues that are, in my opinion, top priority. So, let's begin.

Feel free to share your thoughs about my list or post your own list, even.

1: Hackers and cheaters.

Yes, I know, rocket worked a lot and very hard to counter those human excrement lately, and it even slowed his production cycle. But they are still rampant and very very annoying. Today, as of 21 june 2012, there was a moron who played with a tank in cherno/electro on NY6. It also make it relatively hard to test features such as repairing a vehicule when a bomb fall on your head right next to it.

We also have the annoying server owner from saudi arabia who host singleplayer servers and what not, probably the same bunch anyway.

The war is far from over, and its almost worse.

2: Disconnecting to avoid death, to reset zombies and server hopping.

I know this doesn't keep us from testing features to their full extent, but its really annoying. But it is second right next to hacking from a cheating perspective. Some clown disconnecting to avoid dying, only to respawn behind you 2 minutes later and kill you is indeed, very close to cheating.

3: Server ruleset standardised.

Too many servers have ruleset that go agains't the true spirit of dayz. Rules like being able to see yourself and others on your map, or nametag from a mile away in a thick forest. In my opinion, they all should be veteran, no crosshair and no third person view as it is unfortunatly abused to see over walls and corners. Even though I really enjoy looking at my character, and traveling in third person view, it need to go until it is fixed.

Perhaps when you ''enter combat''(Getting wounded, zombies aggroing or a ricochet in a 10 meters vinicity) it should get disabled automaticaly. Dont know if that could be possible, but Im throwing the idea out.

Also, no more sidechat, command chat, or anything else that let random players use their mic to spam sound macro or break other people immersion. Of course, if that fit rocket's vision.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Conclusion

Im certainly forgeting some major issue, but this is definatly my top 3. Allow me to add one little thing before I post concerning the nametags.

Im for the nametags. I believe a way to recognize people or simply know who they are is important. A name tells you a lot about someone, especialy in a video game, its a better feature than heart beat or bandit skin to figure out if someone is friendly or not, in my opinion.

You can tell the guy named ''Pro sniper 1337'' is most likely a new, young, and inexperienced player while someone else named ''*blank*'' knows the mechanic of arma and dont want to be recognized, probably a bandit or a player hunter. At the very least, someone concerned about player encounter. Finaly, you have the very obvious ass hole that will most likely betray you named ''your mom in shorts''.

That being said, it is not always that clear, but still a better clue than any feature.

Thing is, as it is now, it is very poorly implimented as it give away your position. So what I suggest is perhaps, code it so the name plate only appear from a fixed distance and under. Whatever resonable distance it is. No more forest scanning, and more frienship or balanced player encounters.

Thanks for reading.

tldr: There wont be any tldr. Enjoy. :rolleyes:

Eh, I was with you until the rant about 3rd person. Peeking around corners is a bit silly, but everyone on that server can do it so it doesn't exactly confer an individual advantage. It may not be how you like to play, but it's hardly a critical game-breaking issue and there are hundreds of things the devs could work on that are probably higher priority. Just avoid servers that do not have your preferred settings. There are plenty of servers in all configs to choose from.

+agree

Everything you said is a problem, and it breaks immersion terrible, especially dealing with hackers, and DC/ing scum.

I'm not as worried about the standard rules and 3rd person issues.

Agree with the whole post. Alot of people like 3rd person, but I don't think it's in the spirit of true survival games, it make it FAAAAAARRR easier to spot other players, especially when the person using it is in grass etc, and can see well over it, whereas other players, sometimes even those using 3rdperson, cannot see the prone guy. Personally I always play 1st person and its FAR more immersive, but feels so gay when you know a guy used 3rd person on you.

I would love 3rd person be removed completely, in an ideal world it would always have been off, but now people are too used to being coddled by it, so we'll have to settle for Some severs off, some servers on, lest everyone have a major rage fit. in-fact now I hope he does remove 3rd person, for maximum QQ factor :P, but I wouldnt hold my breath

Especially quitters... i hate from the botton of my heart people who keep logging off just so they may not die...

So people are cool with zombies being spastic, bullet dodging, olympic athletes now? This needs work, no excuses.

So people are cool with zombies being spastic' date=' bullet dodging, olympic athletes now? This needs work, no excuses.

[/quote']

This is due to server issues and bugs, which was stated to be the main focus anyway, if you read correctly. Unless you honestly think that the zombies doing that is intented features that are being tried out...

How old are you anyway?

This is due to server issues and bugs' date=' which was stated to be the main focus anyway, if you read correctly. Unless you honestly think that the zombies doing that is intented features that are being tried out...

How old are you anyway?

[/quote']

This has little to do with server issues and bugs. I'm talking about the crazy zig-zagging that's been there from day one as far as I know. Also, even if it's unintended it's still a top issue, so I'm not sure what your problem is. Also, I said no excuses.

Doesn't matter how old I am.

I couldn't stand playing in first person. Have you ever been prone and rolled in first person? Your screen might as well turn off until the roll is completed because it's not like you could possibly make anything out during it. With the amount of head bob/sway in first person, I can't say first person only is a good idea. I'm fine with the shaking from pain, but with any sort of motion blur it makes trying to actually see anything pretty difficult while any movement is happening.

I would prefer we all adopt a tradition of eating your parents' corpse when they die rather than burying them to playing this game in first person only.

I couldn't stand playing in first person. Have you ever been prone and rolled in first person? Your screen might as well turn off until the roll is completed because it's not like you could possibly make anything out during it. With the amount of head bob/sway in first person' date=' I can't say first person only is a good idea. I'm fine with the shaking from pain, but with any sort of motion blur it makes trying to actually see anything pretty difficult while any movement is happening.

I would prefer we all adopt a tradition of eating your parents' corpse when they die rather than burying them to playing this game in first person only.

[/quote']

turn head bob off noob...done

I fully support updates to stop hackers/dupers/server hoppers/disconnectors, but I think things like crosshairs, 3rd person, etc should be up to the server owner.

Everything +1

but not for the 3rd person thing, disable the CH on every server would be enough.

I was watching Zealots livestream and got in an argument with another viewer.

One of the guys zealot was playing with lured a zombie hord on himself broke his leg then disconnected to avoid dieing. And i was like that guy is cheating, and the person in chat was like thats not cheating rocket hasn't fixed that bug yet so theres no reason not to use it.

Like people actually think its okay/part of the game its insane.

I'm not sure how much Rocket can really do about 1 & 2 in the short term, although they are certainly major problems, and I disagree with 3.

I would like to see every server follow the standard naming convention so the server list isn't a garbled mess, but I have no problems with the different server levels allowing for different rules. This mod is tough enough and only getting tougher. If folks want to host a Regular server so new players have at least a few things helping them I think it should be allowed.

+agree

Everything you said is a problem' date=' and it breaks immersion terrible, especially dealing with hackers, and DC/ing scum.

I'm not as worried about the standard rules and 3rd person issues.

[/quote']

What he said, although i do agree that 3rd person has an advantage and it shouldnt be allowed, but hey, theres servers for that verteran etc

If you guys read my original post, Im actually for the third person view, as stated in my post.

What Im against is using it in combat, to gain an unfair advantage. Its a completly artificial way of looking around corners and over walls. Even if the guy on the other side can do it too, doesn't make it any less ''alright''.

Also, keep in mind that dayz is trying to be as reaslitic as possible. Now, can any of you actually look over corners and walls while not raising your heads? Thats right, you can't and thus shouldn't be able to ingame either. Unless you are some kind of spychic that already knowns whats around the corner... but I doubt it.

You guys got confortable with the third person view, and thats why you dont want it gone. I also like it it to look at my character and to travel, but if you guys actually like it because you want to have that advantage in combat, then you may want to think about your attitude.

Also, I bring solutions to both nametags and third persons views, but none of you talked about that. What if you only lose third person view when you enter combat? How isn't that partialy balanced while still letting you travel and enjoy your character to its fullest without being able to abuse it?

Also, about nametags, I want to see who Im dealing with, but I dont want to see them from 1500 meters away, and vice versa. Also, suggested a solution.

To whoever said that he want server names to be streamlined, I completly agree. The format should be exactly the same for every servers. Also, there is some cleaning to be done, there are still servers running 1.6.0 versions or illegal single player versions.

If you guys read my original post' date=' Im actually for the third person view, as stated in my post.

What Im against is using it in combat, to gain an unfair advantage. Its a completly artificial way of looking around corners and over walls. Even if the guy on the other side can do it too, doesn't make it any less ''alright''.

Also, keep in mind that dayz is trying to be as reaslitic as possible. Now, can any of you actually look over corners and walls while not raising your heads? Thats right, you can't and thus shouldn't be able to ingame either. Unless you are some kind of spychic that already knowns whats around the corner... but I doubt it.

You guys got confortable with the third person view, and thats why you dont want it gone. I also like it it to look at my character and to travel, but if you guys actually like it because you want to have that advantage in combat, then you may want to think about your attitude.

Also, I bring solutions to both nametags and third persons views, but none of you talked about that. What if you only lose third person view when you enter combat? How isn't that partialy balanced while still letting you travel and enjoy your character to its fullest without being able to abuse it?

Also, about nametags, I want to see who Im dealing with, but I dont want to see them from 1500 meters away, and vice versa. Also, suggested a solution.

To whoever said that he want server names to be streamlined, I completly agree. The format should be exactly the same for every servers. Also, there is some cleaning to be done, there are still servers running 1.6.0 versions or illegal single player versions.

[/quote']

While alot of this is true, i dislike 1st person view only server quite "hard" on my eyes, i seem to get eye strain cause of the blur or whatever it is, so when i travel and generally walking around, i use 3rd person view as its easier on my eyes, but when combat situations and going in building and such i use 1st cause it wont blur as much, and ive actually never looked over a wall in 3rd person in this game up-to-date.

Nametags is ok within like 50m, but for all i care that can be removed, but what i would like is a mandatory kill-feed where it say who got killed by whom, like:

Player X got killed by Player Y (weapon-name or something)

1st person view is no more realistic than 3rd person. It's a very constrained view that forces you to move your entire body to see in different directions. It's as if you were holding a box in front of your face to look through. Peripheral vision isn't taken into account. 3rd person is a means to balance that.

Look forward, this is what you see when you play a game in first person. Now without moving your head turn your eyes left, right, up, and down. You can see what's on your left and right easily and even above yourself. It's spacial awareness. How long did that take? You could do it in less than a second, but in a video game to see on this same scale you have to turn your body as well as your head.

I agree that the view does pull far behind the character allowing for an unrealistic view, but perhaps moving the 3rd person view up behind the shoulders would help. Removing it I feel would lower the experience.

Not to mention, crawling through a field in first person is about the most ridiculous thing ever. You might as well turn the screen off.

How could you possibly determine someone is in combat to force first person? That they shot? They they were shot at? That an enemy is nearby? In any case you would instantly be given more information by entering first person.

Also, I'm not sure of rocket's stance or whatever on the realism, but you can't simply throw realism at every arguement for this should or shouldn't be in the mod. Do they just inject you with morphine at the hospital and send you on your way when you break a bone? Can you not jump in real life? When you have a backpack tightly wrapped around your arms does it simply disappear at random when you're swimming without any chance of recovery?

By Far my #1 issue with this game is an immersion breaking lack of ten gallon hats, I got all my friends into this game, we roll together and hunt survivors err i mean Zombies. But we can't even all wear bandito hats while charging into battle, its really ruining our fun.

1st person view is no more realistic than 3rd person. It's a very constrained view that forces you to move your entire body to see in different directions.

Not to mention' date=' crawling through a field in first person is about the most ridiculous thing ever. You might as well turn the screen off.

[/quote']

I don't think 3rd person is really a big deal, but your arguments here are kind of flimsy.

First, you don't have to move your body to look around in the game. There are keys for that.

Second, have you ever tried to crawl on your stomach through any grass higher than knee depth and look around you to see what's going on? If anything the view in the game is BETTER than what you would get in real life.

Remember you're not crawling across this it's supposed to be more like this.

Agree with 1 & 2 no problem.

I like 3rd person, and if everyone has it I don't see how this really breaks the survivalist theme. It's a trade between awareness and accuracy as I see it.

For those who dislike first person view because of the little special effect, you can easily get rid of all of them after one or two clics.

Simply press escape

Then clic on option

Then either game option or controls

Slide the slider all the way down for head bob and motion blur and woila.

First person view is now 100% better. The only thing I dislike and agree with you guys is the narrowness of the field of view. Yes it is too narrow, and it should get looked at.

...snip...

First person view is now 100% better. The only thing I dislike and agree with you guys is the narrowness of the field of view. Yes it is too narrow' date=' and it should get looked at.

[/quote']

You can edit the FOV and make it much better.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?100235-Setting-up-your-FOV

I agree with you; once head bob and motion blur are turned off and your FOV is properly setup, 1st person isn't bad.