Sign in to follow this  
TheWildFerret

Not in the head!!! oh wait... yeah please in the head

So I'm a DayZ newb. Haven't launched it or done anything other then to watch some youtube vids and follow along on other forums. I've actually had Arma2 for a while and been toying back and forth about getting into it. Well decided to go ahead and get into it. I was waiting to see if they were going to release a Arma3 mod for it, but I figure I might as well get into it now and die often :)

So I have a few questions:

• I've read to stick with the Vanilla version to start out with, which is fine, but was curious as to how many other mods are out there for DayZ and if the Vanilla servers are easily identifiable
  • I enjoy playing with people and I see that there are clans out there. When should I look to getting into a clan? I plan to play a bit at first and see how much I enjoy it before making a commitment to a clan, but when is a good time to start looking?
  • Are characters saved locally to a server or are you able to "move" your character around?
  • Has anyone played this under Windows 8.1 yet? If so, any problems?

Those are the big questions for now.

Looking forward to playing.

Thanks.

• This is easy to identify if you use a server browser like DayZ Commander has. I believe if you tick "Hide Unofficial", it'll show you the vanilla servers.

A good time to start looking for a clan is when you're committed to it based on teamwork, communication, friendliness and effort.

Characters are saved in a hive.

I been hearing a lot of issues regarding that playing DayZ on Windows 8 causes crashes, perhaps playing on Compatibility Mode would be better?

• There are tons of mods out there, DayZ Commander lists most of them, and makes it easy to install them.

In my opinion, I'd get a feel for the game first. Most clans you join you'll need a lil bit of experience so you don't look like a complete noob joining in.

Characters are saved for each hive, now private hives are different, every private hive you join as a new character.

Welcome to the forums, Ferret. We've answered these questions many thousands of times, so you'll have to forgive any lack of enthusiasm.  Why not read the pinned threads and do a search, that might help too. :thumbsup:

• There are tons of mods out there, DayZ Commander lists most of them, and makes it easy to install them.
  • In my opinion, I'd get a feel for the game first. Most clans you join you'll need a lil bit of experience so you don't look like a complete noob joining in.
  • Characters are saved for each hive, now private hives are different, every private hive you join as a new character.

Last time I installed Commander I got the Deltasearch virus, so I don't know that I would use it.

Last time I installed Commander I got the Deltasearch virus, so I don't know that I would use it.

I once sneezed and someone in my family I haven't seen in 3 years died. I started holding my sneezes in so I don't kill again.  :rolleyes: 

On topic:

1. Yes, play vanilla first. Play a lot of it. When you do become bored of Vanilla I would recommend Epoch but even there try and find an Epoch server that is vanilla Epoch or close to it, it will be a much better experience. 

2. Don't worry about a clan, but finding 3-4 people who play about the time you play isn't a bad idea. It's always nice to have someone who will watch your back and that you can actively trust since most of the people you meet suddenly in game you should probably only trust only while their gun is pointed away from you.

3. Yes and no. Official DayZ vanilla servers are on Hives which means that if you log off from one and then log into a different one anything on your person goes with you. Tents and vehicles do not. This leads to some interesting things where people gear up and hide tents on less busy servers and then hop into busy ones for PVP. Private hives you start with a fresh character and it saves only to that server so any progress you make is lost if you switch servers. I almost prefer those. 

4. I have had no issue with DayZ/ARMA II on Windows 8 or 8.1... I wish I could say that about all my games.