Sign in to follow this  
Wildfire (DayZ)

Weapon and Equipment Degradation

Not to name drop, but Fallout 3 and Far Cry 2 to name drop a couple.

A rifle that jams every 500 rounds, or a hatchet's head becoming detached, and you have to reattach it (or it might be broken beyond repair). A hunting knife that breaks after prolonged use (results in less raw steaks harvested), dud ammo and grenades, flashlights that flicker or run out of batteries, backpacks that degrade after excessive wear and tear (less slots or even sporadic loss of items?).

Adds an element of unpredictability, and would certainly make things more interesting. It'd force even the best-equipped players to continually be on the prowl for better, more reliable weapons and gear.

/2c

The only viable one there would be weapon jams.

Even then, most commonly found weapons (shotguns, AK variants) do not jam much, if ever. Ammo can be dud, but again so rare would it be worth it?

Players don't survive nearly a fraction of the time it would take for most items to wear out or break (excluding incorrect usage)

Agrees. Also, our attention spans are so short that even if we survive longer than thirty-one minutes, we'd be switching our 870s for AKs, and our AKs for M4s, and our M4s for other M4s, and those M4s for FALs, and our FALs for L85s, etc. etc.

we'd never hold onto a gun that long.

It would be nice to have to clean your guns regularly, but I just like to imagine my character does that while I'm gone.

I dont know, I feel like things are pretty hard as it is for new players and this would turn them away from the game.

I would like to see a realistic version of the fallout system